DFW vs DAL?

Old Sep 17, 19, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest A List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Emerald Exec.
Question DFW vs DAL?

Eveything else being equal, do folks find it preferable to fly to/from DFW (DL) or DAL (Southwest). I'll be staying in Las Colinas. My guess is that while DFW is closer, that may be offset by likely shorter time from door to gate at DAL. So it is probably mostly about the relative ease/pain of transit and the airport experience. Ground transportation cost is not a factor.
I am already very familiar with the pros and cons of Southwest.
Old Sep 17, 19, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
If you're renting a car, I'd say DAL. I hate the car rental shuttle experience at DFW. But if you're getting picked up & dropped off (by friend, or rideshare) then DFW is better; more curb space means less congestion, and the airport layout and plethora of checkpoints means you can get from curb to gate in just a few minutes if you have pre-check or even priority/elite access.

If you have time to kill and no lounge access, DAL is probably a nicer overall terminal; DFW is dependent on which terminal you end up at.
EWR-6785 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 19, 2:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Sky Miles
I work in DFW and passengers tell me the primary difference for them is just the airlines. Both airports have Whataburger, therefore all non-airline comparisons are moot.
Tanic likes this.
Old Sep 30, 19, 11:07 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by DaveDFW View Post
I work in DFW and passengers tell me the primary difference for them is just the airlines. Both airports have Whataburger, therefore all non-airline comparisons are moot.
Even after 30 years of passing through Texas some of us never acquired the taste for Whataburger

From Las Colinas it's a tough call, as DFW may be more convenient during rush hour, and nonstop on Orange Line if using pubic transport.

Otherwise I would say the only reason to go to DFW would be if one has lounge access or has to fly on one of the vast number of airlines that do not serve DAL. Also WN has no first class, so those of us with mid tier status have a *small* chance at upgrades. Hey, it happens

My last DEN-DFW, got the u/g, alas that late flight was dropped from schedule later in the year
Old Oct 2, 19, 12:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Sky Miles
It's true that DFW has many airlines, despite being the AA hub.
Old Oct 15, 19, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
I prefer DAL, because it feels smaller (as well as, of course, being smaller). But, you have only a few airlines that fly there.
Old Oct 15, 19, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Middle_Seat View Post
I prefer DAL, because it feels smaller (as well as, of course, being smaller). But, you have only a few airlines that fly there.
When you say a few, you mean three, right

Southwest and Alaska (via acquiring Virgin America) and Delta by squatter's rights with five daily flights to ATL (believe the lawsuit is still going on).
Old Oct 19, 19, 2:14 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by EWR-6785 View Post
Eveything else being equal, do folks find it preferable to fly to/from DFW (DL) or DAL (Southwest). I'll be staying in Las Colinas. My guess is that while DFW is closer, that may be offset by likely shorter time from door to gate at DAL. So it is probably mostly about the relative ease/pain of transit and the airport experience. Ground transportation cost is not a factor.
I am already very familiar with the pros and cons of Southwest.
i know this is a little late to this question...just my twocrnts

i have passed through both on connections snd travelled in and out each into dallas

forDAL

with the deregulation you know have moreglights to dal.

Right now now I live near DCA so there were direct flights to DAL on WN an Virgin that AS bought. AS leased the DCA slots to WN for 10 years starting roughly the beginning of this year.

The airport is smaller so Iím not concerned about connection time as I would with DFW

ive also travelled coast to coast using dallas as a overnight layover. Some of the hotels near DAL do not offer airport shuttles even though they use the airport in their hotel name.

withDFW..need longer connection time given itís bigger airport. Itís farther from downtown dallas. They have direct access to DART and itís convoluted system

Old Oct 19, 19, 6:17 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by djp98374 View Post
withDFW..need longer connection time given itís bigger airport. Itís farther from downtown dallas. They have direct access to DART and itís convoluted system.
I do believe that DAL also has easy access to DART as well. They have the "Love Link" buses that run between the airport and the DART Inwood/Love Field train station.
Old Oct 19, 19, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01 View Post
I do believe that DAL also has easy access to DART as well. They have the "Love Link" buses that run between the airport and the DART Inwood/Love Field train station.
They do indeed:

Shown here waiting at Inwood / Love Field station.

Runs every 20 minutes, and normally takes less than 10 minutes for the journey, though sadly it is not 100% reliable, as drivers are known not to stick to schedule.

Coming from DAL it connects to Green and Orange Line, which DART in its infinite wisdom schedules with 5 minutes between Orange and Green, then 15 minutes for next Orange line. During rush hour it gets even more convoluted, when there is an instance of trains running three minutes apart.

There is a falang saying in Thaland: "This is Thailand," often just TiT. Well this is DART version of that

In comparison, Orange Line from DFW takes 40 minutes to arrive at Inwood Station, and then it's about another 20 minutes to get all the way to Downtown.
DaveDFW and aztimm like this.
Old Oct 23, 19, 10:52 pm

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by EmailKid View Post
Coming from DAL it connects to Green and Orange Line, which DART in its infinite wisdom schedules with 5 minutes between Orange and Green, then 15 minutes for next Orange line. During rush hour it gets even more convoluted, when there is an instance of trains running three minutes apart.

There is a falang saying in Thaland: "This is Thailand," often just TiT. Well this is DART version of that

In comparison, Orange Line from DFW takes 40 minutes to arrive at Inwood Station, and then it's about another 20 minutes to get all the way to Downtown.
And don't forget those short-turn Orange Line trains that leave DFW in the afternoon and terminate at Bachmann.

Search this Thread