DFW vs DAL?

Old Sep 17, 19, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest A List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National Emerald Exec.
Question DFW vs DAL?

Eveything else being equal, do folks find it preferable to fly to/from DFW (DL) or DAL (Southwest). I'll be staying in Las Colinas. My guess is that while DFW is closer, that may be offset by likely shorter time from door to gate at DAL. So it is probably mostly about the relative ease/pain of transit and the airport experience. Ground transportation cost is not a factor.
I am already very familiar with the pros and cons of Southwest.
Old Sep 17, 19, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
If you're renting a car, I'd say DAL. I hate the car rental shuttle experience at DFW. But if you're getting picked up & dropped off (by friend, or rideshare) then DFW is better; more curb space means less congestion, and the airport layout and plethora of checkpoints means you can get from curb to gate in just a few minutes if you have pre-check or even priority/elite access.

If you have time to kill and no lounge access, DAL is probably a nicer overall terminal; DFW is dependent on which terminal you end up at.
EWR-6785 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 19, 1:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Sky Miles
I work in DFW and passengers tell me the primary difference for them is just the airlines. Both airports have Whataburger, therefore all non-airline comparisons are moot.
Old Sep 30, 19, 10:07 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by DaveDFW View Post
I work in DFW and passengers tell me the primary difference for them is just the airlines. Both airports have Whataburger, therefore all non-airline comparisons are moot.
Even after 30 years of passing through Texas some of us never acquired the taste for Whataburger

From Las Colinas it's a tough call, as DFW may be more convenient during rush hour, and nonstop on Orange Line if using pubic transport.

Otherwise I would say the only reason to go to DFW would be if one has lounge access or has to fly on one of the vast number of airlines that do not serve DAL. Also WN has no first class, so those of us with mid tier status have a *small* chance at upgrades. Hey, it happens

My last DEN-DFW, got the u/g, alas that late flight was dropped from schedule later in the year
Old Oct 2, 19, 11:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Sky Miles
It's true that DFW has many airlines, despite being the AA hub.
Old Yesterday, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA P4L, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
I prefer DAL, because it feels smaller (as well as, of course, being smaller). But, you have only a few airlines that fly there.
Old Yesterday, 9:08 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat View Post
I prefer DAL, because it feels smaller (as well as, of course, being smaller). But, you have only a few airlines that fly there.
When you say a few, you mean three, right

Southwest and Alaska (via acquiring Virgin America) and Delta by squatter's rights with five daily flights to ATL (believe the lawsuit is still going on).

Search this Thread