Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2017, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
All about Austin, Texas

Threads that focus on Austin Specifics:

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

All about Austin, TX [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2021, 12:46 am

Programs: SK Gold
I am hoping to play some tennis during an upcoming trip to Austin. Everything I have found so far in the downtown area seems to require a club membership. Can anyone recommend any public courts or clubs that permit guests to play? TIA for any input.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 6:24 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

BBQ

Hello Austinites and AUS fans,

In short, I will unexpectedly be overnighting in Austin this Sunday, and want to maximize BBQ consumption. What are your top picks?

Appreciate any replies,
BmB
Old Jan 31, 2022, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Do you have a rental car or will you be using Uber?
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:29 pm

A full day in AUSTIN - what to do to get a feel for the city? Recommendations

Hi. The family and I will have a full day in AUS this week enroute to eclipse destination.

Goal is to get a feel for the city and bop around like tourists for the day, low key like!

I’m envisioning something like heading into the city or cultural center of some sort, parking the rental car and walking around for half a day exploring shops and stopping for lunch, unique treats, BBQ for dinner, etc. First time there and I know nothing

Me, Mrs K7, and two tween kids in tow.

Probably will be on Thursday that we are there.

Would appreciate any recommendations, or suggestions of where to start exploration from or places to go?
Old Apr 1, 2024, 9:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
South Congress is good for Shopping and Restaurants close to downtown. I'd start there. You can street park and walk around. From there, you can drive downtown and see the Capitol and the UT campus.
K7Beach and travelingdrsuz like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
South Congress is good for Shopping and Restaurants close to downtown. I'd start there. You can street park and walk around. From there, you can drive downtown and see the Capitol and the UT campus.
This. Plus the bats under the bridge at Lady Bird Lake. Late March is the start of bat season, but it's likely too early? Austintexas dot org is a good tourist site. Keep in mind that "low key" and "Austin" do not go together! :-) Also keep in mind that "traffic" and "Austin" do.
K7Beach likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
awesome. thank you. Is there a particular cross street/area I should target to park on South Congress?
Old Apr 2, 2024, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by travelingdrsuz
This. Plus the bats under the bridge at Lady Bird Lake. Late March is the start of bat season, but it's likely too early? Austintexas dot org is a good tourist site. Keep in mind that "low key" and "Austin" do not go together! :-) Also keep in mind that "traffic" and "Austin" do.
ahh. Thanks. I have heard about this traffic, thanks for re-emphasizing. Post eclipse I will head to airport and allow even more time to make flight. Staying in Georgetown- Round Rock Area.

I am hopeful the bats will be “in season”.
travelingdrsuz likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by K7Beach
awesome. thank you. Is there a particular cross street/area I should target to park on South Congress?
I usually go to the south end near the Kendra Scott store and walk down from there. Typically pretty easy to find free parking in the neighborhood a couple blocks off of the street.
K7Beach likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 11:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Where are you coming from? How long will you be in the city?

I'd normally suggest visiting Barton Springs, but Thursdays are cleaning days... It is open 5am to 9am, then officially 6pm to 10pm. If they finish cleaning / refilling earlier they will re-open as early as 4-5pm. There is no charge to visit during those times.
If it is any other day, there is no charge from 5am to 8am, and from 6pm to 10pm. You could arrive at 7:55am and stay as long as you'd like (many people do that). Otherwise normal fees apply.

If you want something cultural, definitely visit the State Capitol building; there are tours and/or you can wander around on your own. If you want to visit the dome, you'll need to contact your representative in advance.
The LBJ Library is also worth a cultural visit. It isn't cheap, but it is exceptional.

You could walk around Town Lake / Ladybird Lake. There is a nice path that goes most of the way around (and you'd be very close to Barton Springs at one point). There are a few places where you can rent kayaks and/or SUPs, if you're into getting on the water.

Whenever I'm in town, I usually end up eating at Le Cafe Crepe, and have never been disappointed. Some people might suggest Hula Hut (it would be a very healthy walk, or you could get a ride); I've been there a few times and it is fine (nice location on the lake).

If you want bats, I've had much better luck viewing them from McNiel in Round Rock; they come out from under the I-35 bridge. But it is way out in suburbia, with really nothing of major interest nearby (downtown Round Rock is about 2 miles away, which has some restaurants, and I'd highly recommend Round Rock Donuts.)
gaobest and K7Beach like this.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 12:48 pm

Also, the city just held a press conference and stated that all rental cars at the airport are completely sold out April 8-9th and to give yourselves extra time.

Not sure when you're arriving/departing but something to keep in mind.
aztimm and K7Beach like this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Yesterday:

aba (lettuce entertain you) and that area - Jeni’s ice cream, amy’s ice cream, shops…
drive to Texas longhorns compound

boat evening tour with bats under the bridge - bonus views of Egrets and Baby ducks in the Colorado river

cane’s fast food for chicken tenders

aztimm likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Ps the lbj library is really cool and they have a Groupon.
aztimm likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.