Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

All about Austin, TX [master thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 1, 17, 12:25 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: aztimm
Wiki Link
All about Austin, Texas

Threads that focus on Austin Specifics:

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Old Dec 13, 15, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

My buddies and I are headed to Austin next May for our semi-annual golf trip. We'll be there a solid 4 days. Our plans to golf 3 or 4 rounds, and perhaps go fishing. We plan to golf at Cimarron Hills and at Barton Creek. We're not sure where we will stay but most likely in town (perhaps at the IHG IC). Only one of us have been to Austin.

Any suggestions on:

Golf courses?
Hotel or Airbnb?
Dining? We're going to hit franklin bbq and day one.
Anything else we shouldn't miss?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Troopers; Dec 13, 15 at 11:49 pm
Old Dec 15, 15, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Troopers View Post
My buddies and I are headed to Austin next May for our semi-annual golf trip. We'll be there a solid 4 days. Our plans to golf 3 or 4 rounds, and perhaps go fishing. We plan to golf at Cimarron Hills and at Barton Creek. We're not sure where we will stay but most likely in town (perhaps at the IHG IC). Only one of us have been to Austin.

Any suggestions on:

Golf courses?
Hotel or Airbnb?
Dining? We're going to hit franklin bbq and day one.
Anything else we shouldn't miss?

Thanks in advance.
I waited 5 hours in line at Franklin BBQ (my wife and I got there 4 hours before opening time, on a Sunday...in January(!)...and we still had to wait an insane amount of time)...it's phenomenal (you have to get at least the brisket), but I question whether or not burning the entire morning - and then some - was worth it...
Old Dec 16, 15, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Austin is a wonderful city to hang out in. Make sure you head down to Rainey Street for a night of drinks. You can't go wrong with practically any bar there but Icenhauer's and Banger's Sausage House are my favorite. Banger's has something like 100+ beers on tap.

Instead of Franklin's, I'd head on a little drive down to Driftwood, Texas and go visit The Salt Lick. They let you BYOB and they're open for dinner unlike Franklin's.
Old Dec 17, 15, 7:41 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec
Also for BBQ consider driving down to Lockhart. It's about 20 minutes south of the airport. Smittys or Kreuz are both good there.
Old Dec 18, 15, 8:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
Instead of Franklin's, I'd hed on a little drive down to Driftwood, Texas and go visit The Salt Lick. They let you BYOB and they're open for dinner unlike Franklin's.
Is The Salt Lick in Driftwood better than the one in Round Rock? Looks like it would be a bit closer to go to the one in Round Rock from much of the Austin area, unless you happen to be on the south/west side.
Old Dec 19, 15, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
Is The Salt Lick in Driftwood better than the one in Round Rock? Looks like it would be a bit closer to go to the one in Round Rock from much of the Austin area, unless you happen to be on the south/west side.
I think so. The Driftwood location is really fun: this sprawling complex in a rural area where you can hang out outside (or eat outside if the weather is nice). It feels like what rural BBQ should be like. The atmosphere is part of the reason to go.
Old Dec 20, 15, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA GLD
I'd recommend the IC Stephen F Austin. Great location downtown!
Old Dec 20, 15, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
Driftwood is much better. And go in the wine store first. Talk to the proprietor, he is pretty funny. And you can try the local wine if interested. Then walk next door for the BBQ.

That said, Franklins is the best, and Lockhart is really, really good. But you have to go for lunch, the close when they run out of Q. Salt Lick is open for dinner.
Old Dec 21, 15, 5:07 am

Programs: *G
over a decade ago, long before Franklins, beforeJohn Mueller's resurgence, and the proliferation/Austinization of city-bbq, Lockhart was the mecca for TX BBQ (which, IMO, made it the mecca for BBQ countrywide)

i have however *never* been impressed with it. Kreutz, Blacks, Smittys, City Market (in nearby Luling), etc... utterly overrated.

my trek outside the city was to Louie Mueller* for brisket. (*of relation to John).

or to Salt Lick for the atmosphere

or even to Rudys for the utter convenience. [keep in mind this was before the scene exploded]

today, none of that is necessary. franklins is the temple but the line absolutely does not make sense, especially on a time-limited trip, and if in the sweltering heat. there are other good options like La Barbecue (owned by another Mueller progeny).
Old Dec 22, 15, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips...keep 'em coming.
Old Dec 28, 15, 4:15 pm

I went to both Franklin BBQ and La Barbecue. Both are at the same level when it comes to the food but I found the line at La Barbecue to be much shorter.

It could be that tourists are flocking to Franklin because of the publicity. Just my guess...
Old Apr 21, 16, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Update:

We booked a newer 2 bdrm condo in downtown (Bowie St) via AirBnb. Sat night dinner at Uchi and Sunday dinner at Bartett's. Golfing at Twin Creeks and Cimarron Hills...2 more courses tbd. Not sure about which BBQ...will decide based on wait times.
Old Apr 24, 16, 8:20 am
cur

Programs: fwp diamond, dykwia elite
don't bother with franklin's, lineups are crazy and thing about brisket is that sometimes it just sucks even at the great places (but not often). salt lick is great (byob) and there are a bunch of great ones out in the country. spend time and hit a few of those places up. don't spend your time waiting in line in a parking lot for something equal to what you can get in a shack in hill country. plus you get the drive and can see the towns and farmland. not the most stunning but still nicer than a parking lot near i35

i know more about iah bbq than aus but aus is indeed very good every time i tried out places there.
consult
http://www.tmbbq.com/

and realize a lot of those places in the top 50 are within 45min of austin

Last edited by cur; Apr 24, 16 at 9:04 am
Old Nov 1, 16, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
So are bbq recommendations still for Franklin's (everyone seems to agree?) and La Barbecue (some people seem to swear by it!) Any other place worth checking out? I also saw that the John Mueller place many seem to love is indefinitely closed? What happened?

Off to Austin in a few months and as a former Texas resident (though not Austin) I miss Texas bbq very very much!

And to diversify the food talk a bit, we're provisionally booked at the Doubletree Suites on 15th and Guadalupe and the "Texas chili parlor" nearby seems to have great reviews on other websites. Is it as good as people make it?
Old Nov 1, 16, 11:15 am

Drove out to Austin this past weekend to visit friends. Had dinner at Vox Table (just outside of the downtown scene) and it was amazing. It's located just down from Uchi (go if you can get in).

When are you going? I ask b/c if UT is in session then anywhere you go downtown is going to be a mob scene. If you want a bourbon street feel then go to 6th street. Same atmosphere just more homeless folk.

Rainey st has some great bars. In particular, the blackheart. Great bourbon / whiskey bar.

If you're renting a car keep in mind the traffic is horrible. And this is coming from someone who lives in Houston.

Search this Thread