Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

DFW Light Rail station will open Aug 18 2014 (4 months early)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DFW Light Rail station will open Aug 18 2014 (4 months early)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
You're comparing a worst-case scenario for light rail to the best case scenario for driving. If you're at the farthest reaches of the A gates there's a good chance you also have a 10-15 minute walk to your car, so that's a wash. [You can probably get to the cab stand a little faster, but if you have to wait more than a couple of minutes for a cab, you've lost that edge.]

"Up to 15 minutes until the next departure" is true, except it leaves out the inconvenient fact that trains run every 10 minutes or less from 0600 - 2200 on weekdays (0800 - 2200 on weekends) so there's a very good chance that you'll be waiting 5 minutes or less for the next train.

Meanwhile, the word "IF" in your final sentence looms large. If you use WSDOT's travel time calculator you can see that a 15 minute drive from Seatac to downtown Seattle is a fantasy during most weekday business hours. At 0930, for instance, the "95% reliable travel time" is 38 minutes, which incidentally is 5 minutes longer than it takes on the light rail train from Seatac airport to Pioneer Square.

Obviously a car will beat the light rail in some situations, such as late at night. And the time-calculation really has a lot to do with where your ultimate destination is. (I.E. if you're heading to Redmond or Lynnwood, then public transit is the option of last resort).
All fair points, but having chanced the light rail a couple of times and nearly missed my flights or been laughably outpaced by cars on I-5, I will take my chances in the comfort of my own car, especially as I live north of the city.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:44 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
I haven't visited the system but I expect DART's speed limitations are a function of finite funds, not diminished mental capacity of engineers.
Actually, probably by the bickering of the board and management

What's strange, is that it's the newest part of Orange Line that is the problem. Just rode it again today, and they slow down for no apparent reason - well, they slow down because of the signs that post maximum speed.

And they still haven't fixed the departure time marquee at DFW.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by longhorn11
That's it, the Cotton Belt Line. Honestly though, if they were that concerned with public transportation, a new line between the Red and Green would've worked wonders. Instead of putting 6 new toll lanes on LBJ (plus the 10 non tolled lanes), put a light rail line between 35 and 75. I'm sure the cost would kill it, but something has to give eventually.
Back on the topic of the Cotton Belt, there's this new note from the Observer:
The Cotton Belt Rail Line May Still Happen, Despite Objections from Nearby Residents

Despite having received zero proposals for private investment and an expected zero dollar contribution from DART until the agency's cash flow issues loosen in 2035, plans for public transportation along the former Cotton Belt Line in northern DFW are moving forward.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by BearX220
It's not fair to compare heavy rail versus light rail rights of way. Light rail is cheaper to build for lots of reasons. It's inherently intermodal and can fit into a street grid, not on top of it or underneath.
There's very little traditional streetcar running by DART light rail, except, in another example of spectaularly short-sighted planning, through Downtown Dallas.

In Downtown, the streets that carry DART trains were made rail-only so it's not like the trains compete with automobiles traveling in the same direction. The DART track does, however, cross a lot of north-south streets so any increase in rail frequency just increases automobile gridlock on crossing streets.

DART should never have been built as a streetcar line through Downtown. It should have been built as a subway with all of the much greater throughput and gridlock-reducing advantages that would bring.

Outside of Downtown, almost all of the DART light rail system is on private, grade-separated, right of way and not in the street grid. Lots of viaducts, all private ROW, few grade crossings, etc.

As pointed out by another poster, the most frustratingly slow points on the DART network are actually the newest sections of track. The original Red Line mainline between Dallas and Plano actually operates at decent speeds for most of its journey (not exactly BART/PATCO fast, but at least not pathetically slow).

When Dallas needed a proper heavy-rail rapid transit system it got a slow, ineffective light-rail one.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Parking

What are you DART riders to DFW doing for parking at the DART stations?
I'm not aware of any overnight parking at the Belt Line DART station, so I'd need to walk there or get a ride.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687
DART should never have been built as a streetcar line through Downtown. It should have been built as a subway with all of the much greater throughput and gridlock-reducing advantages that would bring.
As seedy as downtown Dallas is, especially West End station, and in evenings in particular, it's a good thing it is not a subway. Perhaps if it were elevated ....

Originally Posted by AAJetMan
What are you DART riders to DFW doing for parking at the DART stations?
I'm not aware of any overnight parking at the Belt Line DART station, so I'd need to walk there or get a ride.
I see lots of cars parked at Beltline station as I go to the airport at 4:30 a.m.

Obviously have no idea if they got there earlier that day or if they've been there for a while.

For me, it's an 8 minute walk to Inwood station.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

When they first opened the Belt Line station, they charged for overnight parking. But it looks like now all DART stations with public parking are free, and overnight parking is allowed.

https://www.dart.org/maps/locationslist.asp
"Free Public Parking Available (597 spaces). Overnight or long-term parking is at the discretion of the customer. DART assumes no responsibility for vehicles left overnight. "

The question is, are you comfortable leaving your car there for several days?
Old Sep 6, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Originally Posted by swag
When they first opened the Belt Line station, they charged for overnight parking. But it looks like now all DART stations with public parking are free, and overnight parking is allowed.

"Free Public Parking Available (597 spaces). Overnight or long-term parking is at the discretion of the customer. DART assumes no responsibility for vehicles left overnight. "

Thank you swag!!
Not sure about the comfort...you got me wondering. I may just get a ride ... the station's a bit closer than DFW terminal, and less hassle than getting a ride to the airport.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 8:01 pm

Yes, that was the experiment where they wanted to make commuters from non DART cities to pay to park at several station, usually at the end of the line.

They found it cost more to run then what they collected in fees, so DART ended it.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, I decided to give it a try.

I parked my car at Belt Line Rd station today. The station lot itself seems nice; for good or bad, it's secluded from any traffic other than those using the station. I did see a police car sitting in the lot as I pulled in, hopefully just to deter and not in response to anything.

I'm optimistic that my 8 year old Chrysler won't attract any thieves or vandals, and it will be waiting for me unharmed. So wish me luck.

The train came right on schedule, 8 minutes later I was at the airport station, and 5 minutes after that at the AA A10 check-in area. Total travel time from home was less than it would have been using my usual Parking Spot or DFW Express South lots & shuttle. I think the Skylink ride from A to D took as long as the DART ride into the airport. Assuming the car is OK when I return, I think I'd use DART again.

Last edited by swag; Sep 7, 2014 at 7:44 pm
Old Sep 7, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<dupe>

Last edited by swag; Sep 7, 2014 at 7:43 pm Reason: gogo timeout
Old Sep 7, 2014, 7:43 pm

I did see a police car sitting in the lot as I pulled in, hopefully just to deter and not in response to anything.
Most likely a DART police vehicle - they spend a lot of time in parking lots, just parked there. Then they drive to another parking lot, and park there.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, I decided to give it a try.

I parked my car at Belt Line Rd station today. The station lot itself seems nice; for good or bad, it's secluded from any traffic other than those using the station. I did see a police car sitting in the lot as I pulled in, hopefully just to deter and not in response to anything.

I'm optimistic that my 8 year old Chrysler won't attract any thieves or vandals, and it will be waiting for me unharmed. So wish me luck.

The train came right on schedule, 8 minutes later I was at the airport station, and 5 minutes after that at the AA A10 check-in area. Total travel time from home was less than it would have been using my usual Parking Spot or DFW Express South lots & shuttle. I think the Skylink ride from A to D took as long as the DART ride into the airport. Assuming the car is OK when I return, I think I'd use DART again.
Got home last night. The car was fine, no issues. The windshield was a bit dirty after 11 nights in the Belt Line DART lot, but that happens in the on-airport South Express too.

Returning to the station at half past midnight, there were a few dozen cars there, but with ~600 spots, it's clear there still aren't many folks using it for overnight or long term parking while traveling.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Got home last night. The car was fine, no issues. The windshield was a bit dirty after 11 nights in the Belt Line DART lot, but that happens in the on-airport South Express too.

Returning to the station at half past midnight, there were a few dozen cars there, but with ~600 spots, it's clear there still aren't many folks using it for overnight or long term parking while traveling.
Thanks for the report. I'm planning to try this for my ~10 day Germany trip in November.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Cotton Belt update:

It was standing room only as the DART board voted 12-3 to fund both the Cotton Belt rail line and the subway version of a second downtown light rail, known as the D2 subway, as part of their 2017 20-year financial plan.

DART officials expect to complete the projects in the next six years. Both projects would cost more than $1 billion each.
This summer, DART proposed a cheaper version of the full Cotton Belt route that would lower costs from $2.9 billion to $1.1 billion by single-tracking the rail line. Addison, Plano and Richardson have committed to kick in millions of dollars extra so the line can open in 2022.
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/dart/...-suburban-rail

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.