Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

Gym / Swimming access South of Houston

Gym / Swimming access South of Houston

Old Oct 13, 16, 6:29 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: JNB
Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Posts: 1,092
Gym / Swimming access South of Houston

I am here, south of Houston, (Pasadena /Clear Lake / Webster) area for a few weeks.
Looking for a facility that has a decent enough pool to use on a daily basis. 25 m is good for me. It seems that the gyms all want a sign up fee and then a monthly fee. I looked at the YMCA, but it seems that after working hours, they have classes and whatnot on, so either go early morning - uuhm, no - or, after dinner time.

Any other options that I am somehow missing?
It seems to be a waste to pay so much for a signing fee if I am only here for a few weeks.
By the way, the gym that I am signed up to at home, has the same policy for out of towners - pay a fortune, or sign up for a 12 month contract.
Thanks for any advice.
roadwarrier is offline  
Old Oct 14, 16, 5:30 am
  #2  
cur
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: fwp diamond, dykwia elite
Posts: 7,036
like most services in the us, especially when compared to the corporate greed of south africa, businesses are more flexible and able to make a deal/look out for the customer. but also the thing is gyms make money off people who never go, thus the contract and higher cost for single month users.

just go in and explain your situation and that an initiation fee in addition is a no go. they have flexibility in their pricing even though they may not act like it. la has this really stupid sales schlep/pitch where they want you to sit down and talk to a salesman, so watch out for that and walk out if they aren't listening to you. but also the salesmen could be more concerned about gross signups than collecting initiation so ymmv. a few years ago the la fitness in galleria/west u gave me 20% off a single month membership with no initiation. i think the la fitness website lists each manager's email so maybe fire an email that way as well. or call. skype calls to the us are cheap from za.

i think the y has booklets of 10x single entry that cost less than 10 individually purchased single entries. but i could be wrong.
cur is offline  
Old Oct 14, 16, 6:03 am
  #3  
cur
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: fwp diamond, dykwia elite
Posts: 7,036
stupid me i go on this tangent on corporate greed (i just got off the phone with fnb)

when really, assuming all you want is swimming, you should just avail yourself of the outdoor municipal pools
http://leaguecity.com/index.aspx?NID=1226
i'm pretty sure they're all heated too

just be aware that weekends/non school these pools are full of kids. and houston kids are pretty rambunctious. so take the seapoint pool in december then multiply that by 1000. but also if swim lanes are in effect they do enforce them.
cur is offline  
Old Oct 19, 16, 5:43 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: JNB
Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Posts: 1,092
Originally Posted by cur View Post
stupid me i go on this tangent on corporate greed (i just got off the phone with fnb)

when really, assuming all you want is swimming, you should just avail yourself of the outdoor municipal pools
http://leaguecity.com/index.aspx?NID=1226
i'm pretty sure they're all heated too

just be aware that weekends/non school these pools are full of kids. and houston kids are pretty rambunctious. so take the seapoint pool in december then multiply that by 1000. but also if swim lanes are in effect they do enforce them.
Thank you for the info - will look into it. Will do some homework tonight.

Loved the FNB comment - I bank with them and feel your pain
roadwarrier is offline  
Old Oct 20, 16, 2:42 am
  #5  
cur
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Programs: fwp diamond, dykwia elite
Posts: 7,036
Originally Posted by roadwarrier View Post
Thank you for the info - will look into it. Will do some homework tonight.

Loved the FNB comment - I bank with them and feel your pain
all CoH and LC muni pools are closed this time of year i regret to say.

check out the perry family y and see if you could maybe get a booklet of 10 entries or a 1 month membership with initiation waived. or if you're sneaky you can use the 30 day money back guarantee. also most pools should have at least 1 lane open for lengths all the time.
cur is offline  
Old Oct 21, 16, 3:20 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: JNB
Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Posts: 1,092
Originally Posted by cur View Post
all CoH and LC muni pools are closed this time of year i regret to say.

check out the perry family y and see if you could maybe get a booklet of 10 entries or a 1 month membership with initiation waived. or if you're sneaky you can use the 30 day money back guarantee. also most pools should have at least 1 lane open for lengths all the time.
Thank you. will be going to a 24 Hour Club tomorrow to sort out something. The person I spoke seemed very open to some kind of casual membership for a few weeks, so great! Thanks!
roadwarrier is offline  
Old Oct 25, 16, 3:13 pm
  #7  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: AUS / GRK
Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 10,963
Not sure if you found a pool yet, but I'd suggest checking out the pool locator over on the USMS website:
http://www.usms.org/placswim/mapsear...te=TX&units=mi

It looks like there's several in the Pasadena, TX area.

If you've never swum with a team, I'd encourage you to contact the coach ahead of time, ask if there's any special requirements, verify the time/fee, and ask if they welcome visitors.
Most teams will welcome a visitor a few times for free. If you're there longer term, you could probably work something out.

I used to have a 24 Hour membership, and in a pinch the pools work. However, they are a mixed bag. Some are actually pretty nice, not crowded, good water temps, functioning pace clock, etc. And others are very different.
aztimm is offline  
Old Oct 25, 16, 7:41 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: JNB
Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Posts: 1,092
Than you so much.

I came right with a 24 Hour Fitness that gave me a 50% off joining fee, and a two month membership. Also, found a decent one with a pool about 10 minutes away from me which, as far as facilities go, will do the job.
So, managed to get what I needed, at a price that I would accept, is not too overcrowded, and that, equals a happy Larry.

Thanks all for your input - so very much appreciated.
roadwarrier is offline  
Old Oct 27, 16, 10:43 am
  #9  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: AUS / GRK
Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 10,963
Originally Posted by roadwarrier View Post
Than you so much.

I came right with a 24 Hour Fitness that gave me a 50% off joining fee, and a two month membership. Also, found a decent one with a pool about 10 minutes away from me which, as far as facilities go, will do the job.
So, managed to get what I needed, at a price that I would accept, is not too overcrowded, and that, equals a happy Larry.

Thanks all for your input - so very much appreciated.
How long will you be in Texas? There's some meets and other activities going on...

There's an open water swim near Corpus Christi in a few weeks (Nov 5):
http://www.openwaterplanet.com/spiopenwaterfestival

And then a meet in The Woodlands later (Nov 12-13):
https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...1733&smid=8140


I just did the Highland Lakes Challenge here in the Austin area last weekend and it was a great swim
aztimm is offline  
Old Oct 29, 16, 6:10 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: JNB
Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Posts: 1,092
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
How long will you be in Texas? There's some meets and other activities going on...

There's an open water swim near Corpus Christi in a few weeks (Nov 5):
http://www.openwaterplanet.com/spiopenwaterfestival

And then a meet in The Woodlands later (Nov 12-13):
https://www.clubassistant.com/club/m...1733&smid=8140


I just did the Highland Lakes Challenge here in the Austin area last weekend and it was a great swim
Oh wow, the Corpus Christi event looks interesting, the Woodlands one may be out of my league though - speed is not one of my strong points, more like endurance. But many thanks - thanks to this project that I am busy with, I actually made it to the pool 4 times this week.
Hopefully, now that the project is shifting in to full steam ahead, I can better manage my time.
roadwarrier is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread