Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Texas
Reload this Page >

DFW Light Rail station will open Aug 18 2014 (4 months early)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,

http://transportationblog.dallasnews...w-aug-18.html/

The date is set: Dallas Area Rapid Transit’s long-held goal of providing direct light-rail service to D/FW International Airport becomes a reality Aug. 18. That’s the day when North Texans will be able to take trains directly to D/FW’s Terminal A – and when visitors can take the train from the airport to any of DART’s 61 other stations.

The station will be the end-point on DART’s Orange Line, which begins in Plano, runs through downtown and then goes through Irving and Las Colinas. The additional five miles of service from Irving’s Belt Line Station to the DFW Airport Station will make what is already the nation’s longest light-rail system 90 miles long.

This is largely seen as Dallas clearing a major hurdle in staking claim to being an international city.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
I'm still of the opinion we have a subpar public transportation system until some east-west lines (other than from downtown) are established. If I live in Plano and have to take a 30 min train downtown and another 45 min train to DFW, that's still ridiculous.

I remember them planning a Plano-Addison-I35 line, but I don't think anything has been set in stone. It's better than nothing though.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by longhorn11
I'm still of the opinion we have a subpar public transportation system until some east-west lines (other than from downtown) are established. If I live in Plano and have to take a 30 min train downtown and another 45 min train to DFW, that's still ridiculous.
I agree. They seem to feel it's something that international travelers expect, yet by building the station at terminal A instead of D, they ensure anyone arriving internationally will have to ride that horrid Terminal Link bus just to get to the train.

I remember them planning a Plano-Addison-I35 line, but I don't think anything has been set in stone. It's better than nothing though.
The Cotton Belt line. There's no funding and lots of NIMBY neighborhood opposition. It's still in DART's long term plan, I think, but won't be built anytime soon.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 3:03 pm

That's it, the Cotton Belt Line. Honestly though, if they were that concerned with public transportation, a new line between the Red and Green would've worked wonders. Instead of putting 6 new toll lanes on LBJ (plus the 10 non tolled lanes), put a light rail line between 35 and 75. I'm sure the cost would kill it, but something has to give eventually.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
It's all well and good for Dallas, but I wish Tarrant county was involved. I realize there are some things in the works, but extending a line from DFW to Grapevine, Southlake, Roanoke, Keller would be awesome.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
I agree with the sentiment that public transit is horrid here. People refuse to give up their cars. Until they do so the system will continue to be subpar. In addition, why is the new line not an express train to either Victory or the West End with all the service redundancies? It would at least trim down the commute time a little.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 7:19 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
In addition, why is the new line not an express train to either Victory or the West End with all the service redundancies? It would at least trim down the commute time a little.
In all honesty, as expensive as it is, we should be glad it's done at all.

With the low frequency, you cannot expect to add a nonstop connection, it would be cost prohibitive. Moreover, the way the track was built, the train travels at snails pace between Northlake station and Bachman Lake station, so it would still not be very fast

And if Orange Line is anything like Bus 524 to Love Field, it will serve mostly TSA employees @:-)

And there is no need to take the horrid "bus" shuttle, Skylink will get you to Term A - I do it all the time from Term E if I arrive early enough to catch light bus 500 and light rail @:-)
Old Mar 30, 2014, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EmailKid

And there is no need to take the horrid "bus" shuttle, Skylink will get you to Term A - I do it all the time from Term E if I arrive early enough to catch light bus 500 and light rail @:-)
Except passengers arriving on international flights will clear customs at terminal D and end up landside, with no boarding pass to get back through security to get to the Skylink.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by swag
Except passengers arriving on international flights will clear customs at terminal D and end up landside, with no boarding pass to get back through security to get to the Skylink.
I thought about skylink but your reasoning came to me shortly after, it's quite unfortunate for those pax.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by swag
I thought about skylink but your reasoning came to me shortly after, it's quite unfortunate for those pax.
That is indeed unfortunate.

Despite recent horrendous UA devaluation, it's still my proffered carrier, so I can hop on in E and zip on over to A. But looking out the #500 bus it still looks like a bit of a shlep to Orange Line from Term A, so if the Terminal Link bus stops there, it may be (well sorta, kinda) a wash.
Old May 12, 2014, 2:51 pm

Express won't work as there is not a seperate express track. In addition the Orange and Green lines share the same track. I can walk to the Inwood/Love Field Station from my house so may give it a whirl. The biggest mistake IMHO is not running the Green/Orange line through the Love Field terminal. The Inwood/Love Field station and then the bus makes it too hokey to use instead of a car.
Old May 13, 2014, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by MrMan
Express won't work as there is not a seperate express track. In addition the Orange and Green lines share the same track. I can walk to the Inwood/Love Field Station from my house so may give it a whirl. The biggest mistake IMHO is not running the Green/Orange line through the Love Field terminal. The Inwood/Love Field station and then the bus makes it too hokey to use instead of a car.
Agree 100% that this was a total miss.
Old May 13, 2014, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by MrMan
The biggest mistake IMHO is not running the Green/Orange line through the Love Field terminal. The Inwood/Love Field station and then the bus makes it too hokey to use instead of a car.
Agree 100% that this was a total miss.
That's all fine and dandy, but about time they were looking at that and other options it became just too expensive, not to mention that in happened during the great Recession which didn't help.

The "bus" is actually OK, though I would not want to ride it much further as it's not very comfortable - OK, it's uncomfortable.

What has been renamed and is now Burbank Station still has "Future Love Field Station" written somewhere on the signage, and the individual theme for station has little planes as part of metal mesh that surrounds columns. And I've seen SWA employees get on and of at this station, though not often.

Me? I don't see the tunnel with people mover happening as most of the riders to DAL are TSA employees, at least the times when I was on the bus. What they should have done is made the station at Mockingbird, as Parkland and Inwood are too close anyway, and run shuttle from there @:-)

Alas, this is Dallas and DART, and in famous words I've heard, DART is not in the transportation business, but taxation business. Their loathing of public input speaks for itself. And yes, I'm actually a supporter of public transport.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
DFW tweeted this link to the DART to DFW guide:

http://www.dart.org/about/riderinsider/darttodfw.pdf
Old Aug 16, 2014, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
DFW tweeted this link to the DART to DFW guide:

http://www.dart.org/about/riderinsider/darttodfw.pdf
Very excited about the start.

I've got a MR for a week from today, so hopefully the five days before will give them time to fix any potential problems. Yes, I realize they've been running (or so says DART) to DFW for last two weeks (without pax), but this is DART, and they are capable of messing up anything.

Looking forward to the 9 minute walk to the station and then the LOOOONG ride to the airport (train takes a rather non direct track, much like SEA, but unlike SEA travels at speeds around 15 MpH at times )

And if you are not able to print out your BP for nonAA flights, it's a LOOOOONG ride in the shuttle to your terminal. SkyLink only available if you can pass through security in Term A, and I'm not convinced you can print BPs for other airlines there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.