Austin (TX) To Ready for 747 Charters

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2012, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum

From the Statesman article:

Although "International" is part of the Austin airport's name, city officials acknowledged Thursday that it doesn't have the capacity to handle several large international charter flights that could bring in fans for the Formula One race planned for November.

So aviation officials are considering building a temporary airport terminal facility at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport to handle the charters, which could be 747s and larger jets.

As many as 42,000 race attendees are expected to arrive via international flights, circuit organizers have said. Currently, the Austin airport's only direct international destination is Cancún, Quintana Roo. In April, about 26,000 people a day flew in and out of the airport, said airport spokesman Jim Halbrook.

Austin Aviation Department Executive Director Jim Smith gave some rough ideas to council members: The temporary facility would have two inbound baggage carousels and accommodate up to 400 people an hour.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA, AS, SQ, Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, National Exec
The international fans are going to come into IAH or DFW then connect to AUS or drive. I don't think we'll see chartered passenger 747s.

The cars on the other hand I'm not sure about. Most likely they can already be handled at the existing cargo ramp. If not they can certainly be loaded onto trucks and driven to CTA from other Airports.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Dan6681
The international fans are going to come into IAH or DFW then connect to AUS or drive. I don't think we'll see chartered passenger 747s.

The cars on the other hand I'm not sure about. Most likely they can already be handled at the existing cargo ramp. If not they can certainly be loaded onto trucks and driven to CTA from other Airports.
Apparently the city thinks larger jets will show up. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 777 in AUS.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by mreed911
Apparently the city thinks larger jets will show up. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 777 in AUS.
At the end of the article it does say that Indianapolis received some charters when they held the race. Unfortunately it didn't give any details. Thanks for posting the story, I had missed it. :-)
Old Jun 27, 2012, 3:17 pm

Update from the Statesman: City to Consider $5.5 Million Customs Facility

The existing customs facility can handle 90 to 120 passengers an hour, the city said.
Indianapolis, which hosted F1 races from 2000 through 2007, had six to 12 international charter flights per year, Smith said. The result here, he said, would be very long lines and a several-hour wait for people to get through customs.
Another Update: Council rejects $5.5 million temporary airport terminal

Last edited by Dan6681; Jun 29, 2012 at 8:26 am Reason: Another Update
Old Sep 10, 2012, 2:12 pm

Last edited by allamericantx; Feb 19, 2013 at 7:50 pm
Old Sep 10, 2012, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by allamericantx
I'm in discussions right now that a permanent British Airways nonstop will be added from Austin to London in the next year or so.

The only market in the United States, as small as Austin, that has a non-stop to London is RDU. They have only been able to make that work with some type of corporate guarantee and the 757 aircraft. The way I see it AUS has three major problems.

1) A minimum of a 767 is required because of the distance.
2) Inadequate Immigration/Customs facility for a 767.
3) A more substantial guarantee/contract than RDU because of the size of the aircraft.

The best thing would be for the city council to start planing to move the airport operation over to a private company. That way someone who knew what the heck they were doing would be in charge of the matter.

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
If you're referring to AA's RDU-LHR service (and previously RDU-LGW before the open skies agreement), it's never been smaller than a 767-300. It was a 777-200 for quite a few years, too.
Whoops! That makes the above argument fall apart a bit :-). If the customs/immigration facility was upgraded and with the addition of the BMI LHR slots, maybe this could happen.

Last edited by Dan6681; Sep 11, 2012 at 10:32 am Reason: RDU uses a 767
Old Sep 10, 2012, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by mreed911
Back in the late 80's AA had DC10/MD11 service between DFW and the old Austin airport. One flight a day.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by Dan6681
The only market in the United States, as small as Austin, that has a non-stop to London is RDU. They have only been able to make that work with some type of corporate guarantee and the 757 aircraft. The way I see it AUS has three major problems.
If you're referring to AA's RDU-LHR service (and previously RDU-LGW before the open skies agreement), it's never been smaller than a 767-300. It was a 777-200 for quite a few years, too.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 5:40 pm

I hoped to see more photos of the 74's than were taken.

Last edited by allamericantx; Feb 19, 2013 at 7:45 pm
Old Jan 2, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by allamericantx
Pathetic reporting. I expected you to post the 747-400 pictures at the gate in Austin. It was a United/Continental/United 747-400 with other 747's, 777's. A number of 747's were at gate 2. How could you possibly screw this up?!
??
Old Jan 2, 2013, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by james318
??
I was trying to figure this out as well. 2 guesses - 1) he was pissed at the Statesmen for not publishing pics of planes 2) He's actually pissed at OP for not driving out to AUS to take pics and post to this thread. Hopefully it's number 1.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:24 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by longhorn11
I was trying to figure this out as well. 2 guesses - 1) he was pissed at the Statesmen for not publishing pics of planes 2) He's actually pissed at OP for not driving out to AUS to take pics and post to this thread. Hopefully it's number 1.
I was shooting for number 2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.