Wiki Posts
Search

Sleeping at/near DFW?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2011, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Sleeping at/near DFW?

I need to spend one night at DFW - arriving around 10PM, international flight at 10AM. How is the airport for sleeping? Or, must I think in terms of a cheap hotel.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
This thread is a year old, but I think the info there is still current.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...h-airport.html
Old Jun 22, 2011, 1:48 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Cheap, decent shuttle: Fairfield Inn, DFW North.

Costs more, but better free breakfast, and best shuttle: Holiday inn Express, Grapevine.

Higher cost, but "on airport", the 2 Hyatts, the old Regency cheaper than the new "Grand", both sort of accessible from terminals.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 2:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I stayed at the Ramada DFW North/Irving once and it was fine. It has a shuttle, free breakfast, it's in a decent area and the room was fine. I paid $39 for that room actually, I don't know if it's still that cheap.

Ramada DFW
Old Jun 22, 2011, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. After looking at my itinerary (all of previous day, then from DFW to Japan) and my age, I decided to get a hotel. The cheapest one with airport shuttle and available with AA miles (3300 miles) was DFW Airport Hotel Irving, 4440 West Airport Freeway, Irving, so I booked it.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 10:38 pm

Not to be a downer, but did you read the reviews before you booked that? I have not stayed there, but I tend to be cautious about hotels that no longer have a flag and the tripadvisor reviews are fairly negative.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i have stayed at a couple of those cheapies on airport drive. they use a common shuttle that has a somewhat infrequent schedule, and shakey service. people trying to get to the airport are taken by good Samaritans.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by aktchi
Thanks everyone. After looking at my itinerary (all of previous day, then from DFW to Japan) and my age, I decided to get a hotel. The cheapest one with airport shuttle and available with AA miles (3300 miles) was DFW Airport Hotel Irving, 4440 West Airport Freeway, Irving, so I booked it.
Checking the address, I believe this property to have once, long ago, been a Ramada, and describale as a bit frayed around the edges, one of those early and strange conversions to atrium configuration.

About 5 years ago, I lectured at a Maintenance Seminar for public housing authorities and apartment developments(obviously an attempt by the sponsor to find the cheapest rates to attract small entities) at the hotel.

I can only suggest that you adjust the threshold of your expectations down a few "clicks", and put your trust in God and not totally rely on the shuttle (although I noticed some "aircrew" staying there, ferry pilots from some 3rd world venue - and cheap per diem - with an RON at DFW enroute).
Old Jun 23, 2011, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wcj1
Not to be a downer, but did you read the reviews before you booked that?..
Originally Posted by slawecki
i have stayed at a couple of those cheapies on airport drive. they use a common shuttle that has a somewhat infrequent schedule, and shakey service...
Originally Posted by TMOliver
Checking the address, I believe this property to have once, long ago, been a Ramada, and describale as a bit frayed around the edges...I can only suggest that you adjust the threshold of your expectations down a few "clicks"...
All points well taken. Reviews didn't seem stellar but I didn't notice any major red flags---or, as I was upgrading from my previous plan to sleep on the airport floor, nothing would have seemed bad.

We'll see. I have plenty of time and only expect a bed for 8 hours. If the shuttle doesn't work out, I'll look for good samaritans to give me a ride or share a cab.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by aktchi
All points well taken. Reviews didn't seem stellar but I didn't notice any major red flags---or, as I was upgrading from my previous plan to sleep on the airport floor, nothing would have seemed bad.

We'll see. I have plenty of time and only expect a bed for 8 hours. If the shuttle doesn't work out, I'll look for good samaritans to give me a ride or share a cab.
A. Not the best of lodgings, but considerably more comfortable than the floors at DFW. Other than when all flights are cancelled for more than 24 hours, substantially under-booked.

B. Be prepared to be unimpressed upon arrival, and retain option to use chair under door knob. At least you don't have to worry about a car in the parking lot, on my last visit crowded with a strange assortment of vehicles, from low riders to service trailers and heavily larded with pickups.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Final update

OK, so either the fate or my incompetence intervened in a really positive sort of way.

I called to check on my reservation and it hadn't gone through correctly due to some glitch. I took the opportunity to request a differet hotel and got booked into Park Inn. Just spent the night there: while I have no idea what "DFW Airport Hotel" would have been like, Park Inn was just fine, actually quite pleasant. (In case they have different locations, mine was close to DFW and right next to Embassy Suites.)

Now off to my gate at DFW!

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.