Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Becoming "established member" / remove the 5 Private Message per 24 hrs limit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 8, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
When does a new Member become "Established"
and able to send over five PMs / Private Messages per 24 hours?

Issue: Post handling and restrictions affecting very new members.

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Very new members are limited as to how many Private Messages, or "PMs", they can send; the limit is 5 PMs per 24 hours. This has been done because we have had people who have signed up to abuse the system in some way, sometimes manifested by sending members harassing PMs or with offers or other activity prohibited by the FlyerTalk Rules, and our members' privacy is very important to us. The post from a prior Administrator states:

Originally Posted by Mikel at Webflyer

New members have a PM cap limit until they reach a post threshold. We don't really advertise the specific post threshold, as it can change and is in place primarily to prevent spammers from abusing the PM system, so don't want to make it easy to circumvent, but it is generally pretty minimal.
Note: Very new members of FlyerTalk may see posts referred to a moderation queue for moderator inspection and disposition if those posts meet certain criteria; that issue is dealt with in another thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...w-missing.html

We apologise for any temporary inconveniences this may cause; they're temporary, and made necessary based on experience and some bad actors' misbehavior.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:38 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
I think it is 5.
angelicious likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Here's the existing thread:

JDiver and angelicious like this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by angelicious
Hi. May I know what is the daily restrictions on pm, please?
The replies you’ve been given are spot on; as IBobi says, it’s fuve PMs daily for new members. The thread lin821 offers discusses the reasons FkyerTalk is required (we’ll soon merge this into that thread). It’s an inconvenience, but we have had the rare “member” who signs up to spam other members via PM.
Your restriction will be lifted soon enough.

JDiver, Co-Moderator
angelicious likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:56 am

Thank you everyone for your replies. I am still overwhelmed with the huge FT forums.

I hope mine will be lifted soon. I was in the middle of pm with Lurker when it happened. Ended up emailing him and contacting admin. Haha

Last edited by cblaisd; Dec 14, 2017 at 10:23 am Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Just be a regualr contributing FTer...

Originally Posted by angelicious
I hope mine will be lifted soon.
Just a friendly remind, posting padding is not going to be helpful obtaining any posting privilege or "status" on FT, as it's been well-covered in this very thread.

Simply by participating in and/or contributing to any current or active discussion threads, soon enough you shall eventually get there.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:08 pm

i seem to be locked out all of a sudden, didn't think i was a new member, what should i do?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:54 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by SomethingFun
i seem to be locked out all of a sudden, didn't think i was a new member, what should i do?
What does "locked out" mean?

You do only have 8 posts (including the one in this thread). Maybe post a bit more?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi
What does "locked out" mean?

You do only have 8 posts (including the one in this thread). Maybe post a bit more?
whats horrible in only talking when it really matters?
but i get your point!
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:46 am

I just got blocked from sending PM. What should I do ?

Is there any administrators around to help? I'm in a midst of discussion with a few ft members and now got blocked due to the limit. Can someone please help ?

Does my reply on this thread count as a post?

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 29, 2018 at 3:30 pm Reason: Merge posts on same topic.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:28 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Contribute some more on the public forums and the limit will eventually be released. Management is not going to change the rules just for you. This prior post pretty much covers it:

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Hi there. Sounds like you may have sent the maximum amount PMs for new members. After doing so, you'll have a cool off period for about a day. However, just keep posting and your PM limits will lift. Hope that helps!
IBJoel and IBobi like this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 11:06 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by wley
Yes. 3 of your 5 posts are in this forum.
IBJoel likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by wley
I just got blocked from sending PM. What should I do ?

Is there any administrators around to help? I'm in a midst of discussion with a few ft members and now got blocked due to the limit. Can someone please help ?

I’m sorry about the inconvenience of the PM restriction, but it doesn’t get waived for anyone. It’s part of the spammer defense protocol put in place precisely because some privileges were abused.

Originally Posted by tom911
Yes. 3 of your 5 posts are in this forum.
But now we have merged those three posts, so only one.

We merge posts sometimes to keep a thread “tighter”, and we also prohibit any kind of “post padding” to preclude members posting just to pass a post threshold to gain access to a post number based permission or forum access.

Co-Moderator
Old May 24, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Found this thread very easily and I have spent time reading it to understand that I need to contribute at least 15 times before my restriction is removed. No problem!

Also had no need to use my PM's as of yet.

Booked my first flights tonight with the advice of this friendly, very helpful bunch.

Looking forward to contributing and helping others.
Old May 24, 2018, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by eugegall
Found this thread very easily and I have spent time reading it to understand that I need to contribute at least 15 times before my restriction is removed. No problem!

Also had no need to use my PM's as of yet.

Booked my first flights tonight with the advice of this friendly, very helpful bunch.

Looking forward to contributing and helping others.

#eugegall A belated welcome to FlyerTalk.

Thank you for the feedback. We (both Admin and Moderation sides) don’t like the throttling back for new members, but found it necessary to sidetrack some of the dodgier spammers. We are glad you’re finding the fora useful and members - we have some very knowledgeable ones - helpful.

JDiver, Co-Moderator
eugegall likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 10:23 pm

I'm hitting a URL wall despite not having anything I'd consider a URL in the post I've drafted. Not sure how to get around that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.