Search

Introducing Dark Mode!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2023, 10:29 am
Administrator
Original Poster

Programs: Internet Brands
Introducing Dark Mode!

It's finally here! To activate Dark Mode, just go into the navigation menu while logged in and click "Dark Mode". This function is usable on both desktop and mobile.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 8:03 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Thankyouthankyouthankyou for this

Not to sound ungrateful, but I do have a few notes

1. In desktop mode, on the usercp page https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usercp.php

The titles of the forums are low contrast compared to the background and hard to read. Can they be made the same color as the thread title on the right column? Bonus points if they can make forums with unread posts stand out more than forums with no new posts. Basically it's the dark mode equivalent of the issue I reported here (contrast the screenshots in post 1 and 15): was there a recent site update? (August 2023)

Otherwise the only cue in the screenshot below is that the SkyTeam forum (no new posts) has an outlined folder whereas the other 3 which have new unread posts have a solid folder. Which is better than nothing, but if it was more obvious it would be even better

2. And in mobile mode, a similar request -- the only cue as to which thread has unread posts is the red dot on the speech bubble vs. no red dot. IMO it would be better to use not only the red dot but also the background (which currently just strictly alternates) to help highlight which threads have unread posts. This is on https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/subs...ion&folder=all but also applies to e.g. the list of threads in a single forum.

3. Something I just noticed while composing this reply, in the toolbar at the top of the full editor interface, the upload photo button is gone! Ok it's actually still there, to the right of the paperclip and it shows up (barely) when you hover over it and it gets lightly highlighted, but maybe that icon could be touched up a bit for dark mode to help it show up better.

FriendlySkies and SamirD like this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
This is 90% really, really fantastic. Thank you!

The biggest issue is on some threads where text is hard to read or doesn't appear at all. Example from 2023 Upgrades:

One more thing I just noticed, in the Reply to Thread section (both Quick Reply and the full version):

-J.
SamirD likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 7:46 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
The biggest issue is on some threads where text is hard to read or doesn't appear at all. Example from 2023 Upgrades:
The problem here is that those posts explicitly use the COLOR tag to force black text. This may not be intentional, it may have been simply that they copied and pasted text that happened to have that attribute. But in any case that's not the fault of dark mode.

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
One more thing I just noticed, in the Reply to Thread section (both Quick Reply and the full version):
Jinx
SamirD and IBJoel like this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by Zorak
The problem here is that those posts explicitly use the COLOR tag to force black text. This may not be intentional, it may have been simply that they copied and pasted text that happened to have that attribute. But in any case that's not the fault of dark mode.
That's true -- it's really the dark gray text which is an issue. Perhaps this color could be removed from the palette or replaced with something else.

Slightly off topic: I wouldn't object to reducing the palette to just a few colors (default, black, white, red, blue, green). Some people on the forum tend to, well, take full advantage of the color options which can on occasion make it very difficult to read their posts (someone posted in yellow once, for instance, which is tough to distinguish against a white background). Now that we have two background options (light and dark modes), it will only get worse.

Example from OMNI Bugger Virtual DO #39: Sept. 29, 2023 with two colors being used (I swear this is not a shameless plug ). These look fine against a white background, but in dark mode are nearly unreadable. (Apologies to the OP for making an example of this.)

-J.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Sep 27, 2023 at 9:45 am Reason: added screenshot
Old Sep 27, 2023, 8:59 am
Administrator
Original Poster

Programs: Internet Brands
I actually thought they fixed the grey text issue before rollouts, because I specifically asked them to. Sorry about that, guys
Old Sep 27, 2023, 7:00 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I like dark mode when I'm on my phone, where I use the mobile version, and light mode on my desktop. However, when I switched to dark mode on my phone, so did my computer.

It's not the end of the world having to toggle between the two, however, it would be nice if there were separate dark mode toggles for mobile and desktop.
SamirD likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2023, 7:27 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
OK, I'll bite. What is the point of dark mode?
SamirD likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2023, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
It's easier on the eyes. The higher contrast may also benefit some people. Most think it is just a gimmick but there are real accessibility-related benefits to having a dark mode option.

-J.
SamirD, mhdena, IBJoel and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 29, 2023, 2:27 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Try living with the consequences of an eye condition. I am unable to sustain looking at at bright screens, and bright stuff in general. Fortunately I didn't need to wait for IB to do their dark mode as you can get the browser to do the inversion, which has the bonus that it does everything, all sites.
SamirD, IBJoel and tygron like this.
Old Sep 29, 2023, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It took me a moment to find the "edit" button for wikiposts. It is now an icon instead of a text button. I am not sure if this was intentional.

I've also found the hex code for the dark grey that matches the background color: 333333

-J.
SamirD likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2023, 11:19 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Thank You!
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 12:01 am

I concur that the post listings are hard to decipher read vs. unread in dark mode as it stands now.
SamirD likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 12:16 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Could the dark mode just be a dark version of the default theme? Currently, it has its own fonts etc. and is actually quite different from the light mode.
TWA884 and SamirD like this.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 11:34 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by plunet
Fortunately I didn't need to wait for IB to do their dark mode as you can get the browser to do the inversion, which has the bonus that it does everything, all sites.
How do you like browser inversion vs the dark mode theme?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.