Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

was there a recent site update? (August 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2023, 11:39 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester

Was there a recent site update?

In particular, my primary "entry point" to FT is the MyFlyerTalk page: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usercp.php

which at the top lists subscribed threads with new posts, and at the bottom lists subscribed forums. This latter part has changed -- IMO it is now much harder to make out the difference between forums that have no unread messages (e.g. SkyTeam in the screenshot below) with those that have posts I have not yet read (the others in the screenshot). There is some difference, yes, but in the past there was also a bold vs. unbold that made it a lot quicker to glance at and mentally filter out forums with no new activity.

Please restore the bold/unbold distinction... (I also feel like this has maybe happened before, so even better if you could identify what caused this to regress and ensure it doesn't happen again on future site updates...)

TWA884 and Mwenenzi like this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 11:46 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
We had a super minor backend change for a 3rd-party security product. I'll see if there'd be any interaction
Old Aug 9, 2023, 1:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Perhaps not as super minor as expected?

Whether the interface change was intended or not (and I hope to see the former interface), please enable double-clicking on the icon to the left of the forum name to mark the Technical Support and Feedback forum (the forum containing this thread) as read. Double-clicking that icon for each other forum to which I'm subscribed will mark the forum as read; why should Technical Support and Feedback be different?

Thanks.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by IBJoel
We had a super minor backend change for a 3rd-party security product. I'll see if there'd be any interaction
Seems doubtful there'd be any outright interaction. However, I think I recall your saying that FT's version of the software is different/customized compared to other IB sites, so it's possible that in deploying the update even for a seemingly unrelated component, one of the customizations or overrides got dropped on the floor.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Seeing the same problem identified by Zorak - very very difficult to know what forums have any unread material. Please fix.

David
pandaperth, Mwenenzi and ryandc99 like this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 5:10 pm
Administrator

I've opened a tech ticket to fix
Old Aug 9, 2023, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Control Z works on my laptop
To undo an action, press Ctrl + Z. To redo an undone action, press Ctrl + Y. The Undo and Redo features let you remove or repeat single or multiple typing actions, but all actions must be undone or redone in the order you did or undid them – you can't skip actions.
Changes should be checked before being released
plunet and ryandc99 like this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 8:12 pm

I've also noticed the difficulty in telling the difference between those sub-forums with unread threads and those without.

Didn't this happen a few months ago too?
Old Aug 9, 2023, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

mispost
Old Aug 10, 2023, 8:47 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Control Z works on my laptop
Changes should be checked before being released
That's not how any of this works.

Great reminder for everyone who does not have access to our processes, resources, and staging environment to quit with the snark.

I'm tired, dude.
sayling likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No idea if the issue I'm seeing is related to the recent minor security update. Using a Samsung tablet I am back to where the advertising along the right margin of each page obscures the page number listing at top of selected threads if the thread exceeds several pages. I simple can't select the most recent pages.

Second, the righthand margin advertising frame width has increased to almost cover a quarter of the page. Seems excessive use of real-estate.

I don’t know FT/IB update and backend processes and realize being the POC receiving the glitch reports would get tiresome but suspect most comments are offered in good faith. Does seem that updates have been troublesome the last year or so. I'm surprised that changes and updates aren't tested on a non-live system before being released in the wild.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 2:20 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by Zorak
Please restore the bold/unbold distinction...
We cannot find any record of this ever being the function of the Subscribed Forums section in the UserCP.

Does anyone have a screenshot of what it looked like before? I think I may be misunderstanding.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

I doubt I have a screenshot, but to contrast, if my screenshot in post #1 looked the way it used to, then the "SkyTeam" row would be normal, non-bold typeface or otherwise much lighter than "Other Asian..." or "Hyatt | World of Hyatt"
Old Aug 10, 2023, 2:30 pm
Administrator

Originally Posted by Zorak
I doubt I have a screenshot, but to contrast, if my screenshot in post #1 looked the way it used to, then the "SkyTeam" row would be normal, non-bold typeface or otherwise much lighter than "Other Asian..." or "Hyatt | World of Hyatt"
OK, so I am understanding correctly, it's just that tech has no record of that being how it worked (and I've also checked a site that did not yet receive the change and it looks the same as FT currently does). Frustrating, I know.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IBJoel
OK, so I am understanding correctly, it's just that tech has no record of that being how it worked (and I've also checked a site that did not yet receive the change and it looks the same as FT currently does). Frustrating, I know.
For what it's worth/in case this helps you convey to tech what I mean, here's sort of a visual analogy... Below is a screenshot of the thread listing in the Hyatt forum, showing the distinction between threads with unread posts and those with no unread posts. Prior to the current change, the forum listings on the UserCP page similarly displayed the forum title (and I think also the stats in the right hand columns) as bolded/not bolded.

DELee likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.