Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Introducing Dark Mode!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2024, 8:31 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Dark mode on PC is still not working correctly, text changes to black on black within post very often, more than 20% of the posts are not readable, it is a pain. Is there any plan to get it to work on the basic ?
Are you referring to post #4 in this thread? Excited about flying Club World on the 787-9

That is not directly the fault of dark mode -- the poster has explicitly written that section of the post in dark grey text, whether wittingly or unwittingly -- I am guessing they copy and pasted goldwannabe's name from a context where it had the color associated with it in the web page code; when you paste such text it retains the color coding unless you right click => paste as plain text.

333333 is a dark grey, so everything inside that "color" tag appears in that color which is why it is hard to read in dark mode.

It's possible IB could do something to automatically treat all pasted text as "paste as plain text" which would help a lot (as I suspect many FTers may be unaware there is a dark mode and that there is an issue) but it wouldn't prevent a situation where someone explicitly chose black foreground text from the editor menu and typed in that color, for example.
GW McLintock, SamirD and IBJoel like this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 8:50 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Yes a plain text copy mode by default would work. Bottom line is that I use plenty of forums with dark mode and only one has a problem persistent after several months. So any argument that IB can do nothing does not pass the smell test
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 9:00 am

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Yes a plain text copy mode by default would work. [...] So any argument that IB can do nothing does not pass the smell test
While I would support that, playing devil's advocate, it's not quite as trivial as it sounds -- sometimes users may _want_ to preserve formatting when pasting text, e.g. if it contains italics, bold, bullet points, ... forcing paste-as-plain-text precludes those use cases. I'm personally ok with making that tradeoff but it's a consideration.

Bottom line is that I use plenty of forums with dark mode and only one has a problem persistent after several months.
I am curious, do the other forums actively remove color tags if a user explicitly chooses one as the foreground color for a post? That seems pretty wrong too from a UX perspective (what if a user wants to highlight a particular section in red, for example).

Or do they only remove color tags within some "distance" of black or white in RGB color space? That seems non-trivial too.
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 9:39 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Not sure how they handle it. They do have simpler interfaces though, and also do not seem to be so heavy reliant on HTML in their editor.
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 5:38 am

This post is a good example where I have a hard time that it should still happen 3 months after the roll out of the feature. The color changes mid word, there is no way this is a conscious choice by the OP (because there are plenty of posts like this all around the forum by lots of different users), there is no clear change of fonts or tag uses (no quote, no bold, no username references). So IB staff, could we please get some sort of status and estimate to make Dark mode a proper usable feature ?
SamirD likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2024, 10:14 am
Administrator
Original Poster

Programs: Internet Brands

This post is a good example where I have a hard time that it should still happen 3 months after the roll out of the feature. The color changes mid word, there is no way this is a conscious choice by the OP (because there are plenty of posts like this all around the forum by lots of different users), there is no clear change of fonts or tag uses (no quote, no bold, no username references). So IB staff, could we please get some sort of status and estimate to make Dark mode a proper usable feature ?
You'd be surprised by user behaviors, especially RE: sloppy cut/paste. But nonetheless I've asked an automotive forum if they still have issues with this. This particular auto site was the first to roll out dark mode in the company, so they may have some solid insight.
SPN Lifer, fransknorge and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 6:14 am

Is there a way to switch back to light mode? Once I switched to Dark Mode I no longer see a button I can press to switch back.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 8:11 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by plunet
Apologies for the delay. Due to an eye condition I use dark mode and other accessibility tools all the time, it's not a nice to have.

On mobile devices I use the browser with the dark mode rendering flag as IBJoel described, along with a the OS being in dark mode.

The browser being set to dark mode rendering on the FT mobile site is perfect, it works really really well, and nothing "disappears" that I notice. Using the dark mode rendering on many other sites some web components often become difficult to see on the page, radio buttons and toggle switches are often the worst offenders.

On a Windows desktop I don't use the browser dark mode rendering or any specific app and it's dark mode, and instead I use the accessibility tools and switch Windows into high contrast mode (LeftShift + Alt + PrtScn, on a laptop your PrtScn might also need you to press Fn). This does everything in one go, and is a very consistent experience. Colours get stripped and changed but for me it works nicely, there are still some things that are awkward, radio buttons and toggles are again the baddies.
Thank you for sharing your experience and solutions. Good to know the native windows these for accessibility does a good job across the board. I don't need any help looking at stuff right now, but always nice to know what works and works well.

Originally Posted by Zorak
It's possible IB could do something to automatically treat all pasted text as "paste as plain text" which would help a lot (as I suspect many FTers may be unaware there is a dark mode and that there is an issue) but it wouldn't prevent a situation where someone explicitly chose black foreground text from the editor menu and typed in that color, for example.
Unfortunately, this is more an OS thing than it is a vb thing as the posting box is just accepting what is being pasted vs parsing it. Disabling all bbcode across the entire forum might solve that issue, but will break more stuff than it fixes for sure.

Originally Posted by IBJoel
You'd be surprised by user behaviors, especially RE: sloppy cut/paste. But nonetheless I've asked an automotive forum if they still have issues with this. This particular auto site was the first to roll out dark mode in the company, so they may have some solid insight.
Definitely a great idea as some of them are dark by default too so they'll have more experience with dealing with pasted data with formatting. Thank you for staying active in this thread--I know visiting a thread just to get pounded on can't be a fun job.

Originally Posted by cerps343
Is there a way to switch back to light mode? Once I switched to Dark Mode I no longer see a button I can press to switch back.
I actually can't find a button to switch to dark mode. I don't know if this will fix it, but maybe using the style chooser to change the theme will work. Another thing that might work better is to change an option in your user control panel for 'classic mode homepage' and see if that takes it out of dark mode as that's what I'm using and I don't even see the option for dark mode.

Last edited by cblaisd; Mar 3, 2024 at 2:51 pm Reason: merged poster's four consecutive posts. Please use multi-quote
Old Mar 3, 2024, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by cerps343
Originally Posted by SamirD
I actually can't find a button to switch to dark mode.
It's under the "hamburger" menu (the three horizontal lines), same place as where one turns on dark mode.

In mobile skin the link to switch is at the bottom of the menu. In desktop it's in the lower right.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 12:31 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by Zorak
It's under the "hamburger" menu (the three horizontal lines), same place as where one turns on dark mode.
Ah, I've never used that before--yep right there. Thank you!
Old Mar 19, 2024, 10:30 am

New hotel reviews are black on black .....
Old Mar 19, 2024, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
New hotel reviews are black on black .....
Am I correct in assuming you mean the text is matching the background color? I have complained heavily about this upthread and they have decided not to pursue it further at the time. So many templates for hotel reviews, rental car and hotel upgrade threads, etc. have text that is not automatic (text is black or gray) so either you have to highlight everything, change back to light mode, or just wallow in sadness for being unable to read it.

A potential (but high-workload) solution would be to perform a sitewide audit for threads that use a template, and update those templates to ensure text color is set to automatic. I may do this on my own for the forums I frequent. It continues to be quite annoying and detracts significantly from the user experience.

-J.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.