Wiki Posts
Search

user interface anomalies

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2023, 12:16 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

user interface anomalies

When I select Mark This Forum Read from the Forum Tools dropdown menu for this forum (Technical Support and Feedback), the unread threads remain in bold. The threads are actually marked as read, as indicated by going to MyFlyerTalk, refreshing the screen, and seeing that the globe with the airplane now indicates there are no unread posts in Technical Support and Feedback, but until yesterday, the thread titles in bold would become plain text when I chose Mark This Forum Read.

The reason I need to mark threads as read in the forum window rather than at MyFlyerTalk is that double-clicking the globe with the airplane, which marks the forum as read for every other forum to which I have subscribed, does nothing with Technical Support and Feedback. (I haven't actually checked that in the past several days, but I mentioned it in at least two threads in this forum and nothing was done, so I assume the behavior has not been corrected.)

Both these behaviors are inconsistent with what is, in my experience, typical on FlyerTalk. They are cosmetic and it seems like they should be fixed.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 9:21 am

Agreed, I've noticed this for a few days now across a few forums. The "go to first new post" indicator disappears but the thread title font remains bold,
Old Oct 16, 2023, 8:59 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by serpens
When I select Mark This Forum Read from the Forum Tools dropdown menu for this forum (Technical Support and Feedback), the unread threads remain in bold. The threads are actually marked as read, as indicated by going to MyFlyerTalk, refreshing the screen, and seeing that the globe with the airplane now indicates there are no unread posts in Technical Support and Feedback, but until yesterday, the thread titles in bold would become plain text when I chose Mark This Forum Read.

The reason I need to mark threads as read in the forum window rather than at MyFlyerTalk is that double-clicking the globe with the airplane, which marks the forum as read for every other forum to which I have subscribed, does nothing with Technical Support and Feedback. (I haven't actually checked that in the past several days, but I mentioned it in at least two threads in this forum and nothing was done, so I assume the behavior has not been corrected.)

Both these behaviors are inconsistent with what is, in my experience, typical on FlyerTalk. They are cosmetic and it seems like they should be fixed.
Light or dark mode? Mobile skin or Full Site?
Old Oct 16, 2023, 9:37 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Light or dark mode? Mobile skin or Full Site?
Light mode, Full Site.

Sorry for the lack of information. It's easy to forget that not everyone uses the same options that I do (even after the discussion about Dark mode).
IBJoel likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2023, 2:05 pm
Administrator

Light mode, Full Site.

Sorry for the lack of information. It's easy to forget that not everyone uses the same options that I do (even after the discussion about Dark mode).
No worries. For what it's worth, it does seem that the font changes if you refresh the page.
Old Nov 28, 2023, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by IBJoel
No worries. For what it's worth, it does seem that the font changes if you refresh the page.
That solution clearly works, but is there any prospect of the glitch being fixed? Or do we have to live with the extra click to make things display properly? Your Public deserve to be told!
Old Nov 30, 2023, 7:33 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
When I select Mark This Forum Read from the Forum Tools dropdown menu for this forum (Technical Support and Feedback), the unread threads remain in bold.
This occurs in dark mode as well; however

The threads are actually marked as read, as indicated by going to MyFlyerTalk, refreshing the screen, and seeing that the globe with the airplane now indicates there are no unread posts in Technical Support and Feedback, but until yesterday, the thread titles in bold would become plain text when I chose Mark This Forum Read.
Another way you can tell that they have been marked as read without having to refresh, at least in other forums[1] is that the down arrow or chevron indicator in front of the thread title[2] disappears even though the font remains bold. It's subtle, but it's something.

[1] I have not specifically tested in the Tech Support forum, but have observed and/or replicated in others in both light/dark mode
[2] which, when clicked on, can be used as a quick way to jump to the first unread post in that thread
Old Nov 30, 2023, 8:17 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Zorak
Another way you can tell that they have been marked as read without having to refresh, at least in other forums[1] is that the down arrow or chevron indicator in front of the thread title[2] disappears even though the font remains bold. It's subtle, but it's something.

[1] I have not specifically tested in the Tech Support forum, but have observed and/or replicated in others in both light/dark mode
[2] which, when clicked on, can be used as a quick way to jump to the first unread post in that thread
I noticed that a couple of days after the original post. It required a bit of brain-retraining to get it to register. And I do use the chevron indicator to get to the first unread post; it is really useful. But I do wish the old interface behavior would be restored (and I wish that I could double-click the globe by this forum in the MyFlyerTalk view to mark all threads as read, like I can do with all other subscribed fora).
hurnik likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
not sure what happened

A few days ago, my interface changed. I can no longer access my quoted messages which my way of getting back to a post asking for help. Can you help me get back to the standard user interface?

Thankl.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 10:45 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

[...] double-clicking the globe with the airplane [in the MyFlyerTalk view], which marks the forum as read for every other forum to which I have subscribed, does nothing with Technical Support and Feedback. [...]
Any progress with this issue, which has been around for months now? Really, it's just a matter of making this forum's globe icon in MyFlyerTalk behave like all the others. In other words, remove whatever causes this forum's globe to behave differently.
hurnik likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 8:48 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thank you for fixing the issue of the thread title remaining bold even after marking all threads as read.
[...] double-clicking the globe with the airplane, which marks the forum as read for every other forum to which I have subscribed, does nothing with Technical Support and Feedback. [...]
Can tech please fix the double-click to mark all threads as read in a forum for this (Tech Support) forum? As noted, this works in all other fora to which I am subscribed, but has been broken for Tech Support for months.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I now find [Mac/Safari] that "Mark This Forum Read" button is working. Was that the latest Mac update? No idea, but glad to see it working again.
Old Mar 20, 2024, 9:37 am
Administrator

Originally Posted by T8191
I now find [Mac/Safari] that "Mark This Forum Read" button is working. Was that the latest Mac update? No idea, but glad to see it working again.
No, that was something we fixed
T8191 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.