The "The 13 Oct 21 FT 'Like' Feature - [now restored to prior version]" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The "The 13 Oct 21 FT 'Like' Feature - [now restored to prior version]" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2022, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whenever someone "likes" one of my posts, I see a notification in an intermittent drop-down menu and I can click on the "New Likes Received" link in that manu to open a page listing all of my posts that have been "liked".

But I can't for the life of me figure out how to access that page when that intermittent drop-down menu is not present. The same drop-down menu also lists new post quotes, but I can easily access those by clicking on my username just above the "Last visited" line and choosing the 'Quotes' tab.

Is there some magical way to access the "likes received" page without begging another user to "Like" a random post to make that intermittent drop-down menu appear? I suppose I could bookmark it the next time I'm able to access.
DELee and SamirD like this.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by kale73
Whenever someone "likes" one of my posts, I see a notification in an intermittent drop-down menu and I can click on the "New Likes Received" link in that manu to open a page listing all of my posts that have been "liked".

But I can't for the life of me figure out how to access that page when that intermittent drop-down menu is not present. The same drop-down menu also lists new post quotes, but I can easily access those by clicking on my username just above the "Last visited" line and choosing the 'Quotes' tab.

Is there some magical way to access the "likes received" page without begging another user to "Like" a random post to make that intermittent drop-down menu appear? I suppose I could bookmark it the next time I'm able to access.
To the right of your username in the top right hand corner of the screen is a bell icon. Click on that then click on New Likes Received.
lsquare and SamirD like this.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
To the right of your username in the top right hand corner of the screen is a bell icon. Click on that then click on New Likes Received.
Thank you! I had clicked on My FlyerTalk, My Profile, etc. etc. but I never before noticed the bell.

When using the Your Notifications drop-down, there is a tab to the right of Quotes, but it disappears when there are no new notifications.

Once the bugs are quashed, a more intuitive (and consistent) site design would be appreciated. Sometimes trying to find a list or a preference pane on FlyerTalk is like looking for a lost set of keys.
lsquare and SamirD like this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 7:06 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
For the first time, clicking on the Like button today did nothing.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 3:27 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by IBJoel
That's not quite accurate. The ARG:Undefined issue started popping up in the latter half of 2021 without us doing anything.
This is impossible--something had to have changed, even if the like code was untouched. But this is the problem with neverending core software updates (php, etc) that can wreck things that once worked because of poor testing or documentation by the ones producing updates. And then there is the simply inevitable 'we dropping support of x' which does all sorts of damage like with the recent php update.

The problem is that as the site users, we want things to work, and as the site's owners, the user experience is second to running a business. I don't envy being in your position (because I have been) as the acceleration of worldwide cyberwar only makes the pace of neverending updates even faster and the job even harder.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
I think likes are a nice-to-have, but don't know if I'd go as far as "necessary" -- I joined FT in 2015 and I'm pretty sure likes were added a while after that (I forget exactly when) meaning that FT got by just fine without a like system for over 15 years...
'Likes' features were added to forum softwares after facebook became popular with their likes feature which I don't even know if they have anymore, lol.

But it has provided value over the years in terms of feedback--hence why it is standard on any 'social media' type of platform today.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Tanic
For the first time, clicking on the Like button today did nothing.
I'm having intermittent issues with it not working as well, but if I try again it seems to take. I was thinking this was related to some local Internet access issues, but maybe not?
palermo likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 9:13 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Use of Like resulting in “[ARG:4 UNDEFINED]”

I used Like and it displayed as "[ARG:4 UNDEFINED]”. Searching found a thread about this issue, which is closed due to this issuing having been fixed, which is clearly not true. It also directs further discussion to another thread which is also closed.

Also, the displayed text is a link. The link goes to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/1, which gives a "Page not found" if clicked.
VirtuousKangaroo and SamirD like this.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 9:53 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Been happening for years and unfortunately there is not a fix the community is happy with at this time
Old Apr 14, 2023, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Been happening for years and unfortunately there is not a fix the community is happy with at this time
Well, can the link that shows up for ARG4 display error then actually point to somewhere else such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php or Google instead of a non-existent page?

David
SamirD likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2023, 2:25 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by DELee
Well, can the link that shows up for ARG4 display error then actually point to somewhere else such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php or Google instead of a non-existent page?

David
Only the person who issued the Like sees the ARG error (anyone else sees the Like in the correct manner). So it's a bit of an edge case that they would use that to try and check out their own profile.

Problem is that the Likes system on FT is bespoke for FT, the techs who developed it have moved on, and as it's a cosmetic issue that affects only the person who issued the Like, there's not a strong business case to invest the time to fix it.
Silver Fox, SamirD and IBJoel like this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 10:54 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by plunet
Only the person who issued the Like sees the ARG error (anyone else sees the Like in the correct manner). So it's a bit of an edge case that they would use that to try and check out their own profile.

Problem is that the Likes system on FT is bespoke for FT, the techs who developed it have moved on, and as it's a cosmetic issue that affects only the person who issued the Like, there's not a strong business case to invest the time to fix it.
Didn't know this!
Learn something everyday here at FT!
VirtuousKangaroo and SamirD like this.
Old May 8, 2023, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Can we please add the Like functionality to the OMNI/Games forum?

We want to like people who get Wordle in 1/6 or 2/6.
lsquare, SamirD and vanillabean like this.
Old May 10, 2023, 3:34 pm
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Can we please add the Like functionality to the OMNI/Games forum?

We want to like people who get Wordle in 1/6 or 2/6.
Unfortunately that's not really enough of a benefit to turn it on for OMNI (I do not believe it can just be turned on for subforums)
SamirD likes this.
Old May 10, 2023, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Unfortunately that's not really enough of a benefit to turn it on for OMNI (I do not believe it can just be turned on for subforums)
It's already enabled for good OMNI. Not sure about bad OMNI (since I never visit it).
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.