Wiki Posts
Search

The "The 13 Oct 21 FT 'Like' Feature - [now restored to prior version]" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2022, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Where I would previously anticipate the possibility of my “like”-ing of a post to result in Arg4/Arg6 showing up, I now no longer can “Like” the posts and what kicks back is “an error occurred”.
Same! I thought there was something wrong with my connection when I first noticed this problem while being 39,000 feet above the Pacific on UA29. I'm seeing this problem now that I am safely in the ground. FT is broken!
chrisny2 and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The Like feature has presented a new technical outcome this month.

Sometimes when I “Like” a post “Liked” by some of the FTers previously hit with a “Like” problem resulting in the Arg:4/6 displaying for some of their Like use, my “Like” has resulted in their FT name being masked and replaced with Arg:4 or Arg:6 on behalf of myself and the one or two of the others who had previously been listed as “Like”-ing the post.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 10:08 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
I should be clear here: The Like button as it exists now is not going to be worked on. The options are:
  1. Keep it as-is
  2. Convert to the version we tried in October 2021
  3. Do not have a Like button
Obviously I have been trying to get the tech team that created the "New" Like system to change the design, but given that FlyerTalk is the only site that has had complaints about it AND FlyerTalk isn't in their department, it hasn't been a big priority for them.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IBJoel
I should be clear here: The Like button as it exists now is not going to be worked on. The options are:
  1. Keep it as-is
  2. Convert to the version we tried in October 2021
  3. Do not have a Like button
Obviously I have been trying to get the tech team that created the "New" Like system to change the design, but given that FlyerTalk is the only site that has had complaints about it AND FlyerTalk isn't in their department, it hasn't been a big priority for them.
Wow... isn't this a perfect case of where it isn't broken and you guys fixed it? The like button worked perfectly at one point, but you guys "fixed" it and it's been messed up since.
Silver Fox and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Personally I think it isn't a big deal and there are other issues that are of higher priority (mainly wikis and the PHP thing). I don't really remember the October 2021 version, but I would vote for that (option 2) or to keep it as-is (option 1).

-J.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 10:40 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by lsquare
Wow... isn't this a perfect case of where it isn't broken and you guys fixed it? The like button worked perfectly at one point, but you guys "fixed" it and it's been messed up since.
That's not quite accurate. The ARG:Undefined issue started popping up in the latter half of 2021 without us doing anything. We then rolled out the "New" Like system in October 2021, everyone hated it, and we rolled it back, so the same issues we faced previously returned. From then on, we haven't touched it. But the problem is that we've had to update other stuff. And when you have an unsupported product on nearly every thread page, it only gains more issues over time.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 12:30 am

Programs: BAEC
It's also been proven that the ARG message is only visible to the liker, it's not visible to others. It's an annoyance but isn't impacting the functionality.

I used to harp on s bit about this issue but have concluded that there are other issues that should be prioritized above this.

What we should be asking is what was so bad about the unliked by FT original and supported version of likes that FT felt was necessary to dismiss. Getting back to a supported product would reduce this technical debt.
Silver Fox, lsquare and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 3:25 am

My Login not recognised when 'Liking'

Although I'm logged into a forum, when I try to add a 'Like' to an existing thread, my identity is replaced by this: ARG:6 UNDEFINED .

How can I rectify this?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 4:22 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
We should absolutely have some sort of Like feature - it's necessary so that we know if folks appreciate or are getting value out of our posts. For example, one of my trip reports with photo uploads takes about 20 minutes to write. Without likes, I would feel like no one was getting use out of them.
chrisny2 and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 4:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by farci
Although I'm logged into a forum, when I try to add a 'Like' to an existing thread, my identity is replaced by this: ARG:6 UNDEFINED .

How can I rectify this?

There was a whole thread about that a while ago, but it since has been deleted (for some reason).
Correction: Found it: The "The 13 Oct 21 FT 'Like' Feature - [now restored to prior version]" thread

I still get the ARG:6 UNDEFINED every now and then a year later after first appearing.
Obviously not going to be fixed: the good news: only YOU yourself see it for posts you liked, for others it displays correctly.
lsquare and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 7:18 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
We should absolutely have some sort of Like feature - it's necessary so that we know if folks appreciate or are getting value out of our posts. For example, one of my trip reports with photo uploads takes about 20 minutes to write. Without likes, I would feel like no one was getting use out of them.
I think likes are a nice-to-have, but don't know if I'd go as far as "necessary" -- I joined FT in 2015 and I'm pretty sure likes were added a while after that (I forget exactly when) meaning that FT got by just fine without a like system for over 15 years...
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Zorak
I think likes are a nice-to-have, but don't know if I'd go as far as "necessary" -- I joined FT in 2015 and I'm pretty sure likes were added a while after that (I forget exactly when) meaning that FT got by just fine without a like system for over 15 years...
I reckon without a "like feature" threads will be inundated with "I agree" messages.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by narvik
I reckon without a "like feature" threads will be inundated with "I agree" messages.
which many FTers probably used over the years to (consciously or otherwise) pad post count
lsquare, GW McLintock and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik
There was a whole thread about that a while ago, but it since has been deleted (for some reason).
Correction: Found it: The "The 13 Oct 21 FT 'Like' Feature - [now restored to prior version]" thread

I still get the ARG:6 UNDEFINED every now and then a year later after first appearing.
Obviously not going to be fixed: the good news: only YOU yourself see it for posts you liked, for others it displays correctly.
How do you know?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 2:30 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by lsquare
How do you know?
IBJoel suggested in post #216 that this issue is right at the bottom of the pile, especially as the Likes system for FT is unique to this forum.
lsquare and SamirD like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.