Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

August 15th, 2018 Trending Page Update

August 15th, 2018 Trending Page Update

Old Aug 14, 18, 3:16 pm
  #1  
Administrator
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: Internet Brands
Posts: 1,782
August 15th, 2018 Trending Page Update

Hi all, you may have noticed the announcement we made about changes to the Trending page. Here's a bit more visual guide of what to expect:

Desktop View:

Above, you can see the new tabs and unread thread notifications.
Below is the Thread Preview dropdown.



Tablet



Phone

IBJoel is offline  
Old Aug 15, 18, 8:50 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: New York
Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Posts: 877
Sorry, but it looks awful on my computer. The old look was better.
fredc84 is offline  
Old Aug 15, 18, 10:03 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Programs: DL GM
Posts: 509
It is absolutely baffling to me that IB can be this incompetent. It takes a really special level of incompetence to put out a product that fails on every possible level update after update. I accessed FT from the Trending Topics page and now instead of a clearly delineated page with a directory on one side and a full listing of all trending threads visible without needing to scroll down for an eternity, I am not greeted with this. I see exactly 10 threads before needing to scroll down and there is barely one shade of color difference between the forum directory and the main trending threads page.

How could anyone who claims to be a professional look at this and think "yeah, this looks great, publish"? If I had an employee put this in front of me, I would ask them to finish it before having me look at it. This looks unfinished. I'm sure the person in charge of this UI design was thinking it was similar to Wikipedia so it is fine, but I don't think that person understand *why* Wikipedia's UI works. Wikipedia works because of the subtle use of vertical and horizontal lines to delineate directory and content and content from itself. Wikipedia also successfully utilizes font sizes to clearly lead the user through the page.

Please revert back to the previous version. This doesn't even match the rest of the forum. No amount of quality content FT's users produce is worth it for me to continue using FT if the UI is going to be this atrocious. IB, please look at this screenshot below and tell me this looks good to you.
lo2e, Wilbur, florens and 2 others like this.
RumPatrol is offline  
Old Aug 16, 18, 9:55 am
  #4  
Administrator
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: Internet Brands
Posts: 1,782
RumPatrol, I'm not sure what Trending Page you were using before, but I've always needed to scroll down to view all the threads. Zoom's at 100%
IBJoel is offline  
Old Aug 16, 18, 9:58 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: DCA
Posts: 6,445
I would suggest back-burnering this and focusing on the constant database errors that have been persisting this morning instead...
arlflyer is offline  
Old Aug 16, 18, 9:53 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Programs: DL GM
Posts: 509
Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
RumPatrol, I'm not sure what Trending Page you were using before, but I've always needed to scroll down to view all the threads. Zoom's at 100%
View ALL the threads, yes. View more than 9.5 threads at a time, never. Please look at that screenshot and tell me, honestly, that you think that looks good. I am on a calibrated monitor and even *I* can barely tell the difference in color between the white background and the gray-ish directory background, people viewing FT on a screen with worse contrast will never be able to see the difference. Give it a vertical line or something, anything.

Ignoring the atrocious UI for a moment, the directory on the trending page also DOESN'T WORK. The tiny little dot (seriously?!) that is supposed to be showing when a forum has new posts is not doing so, as multiple forums have new posts (including this one) but do not have a filled in dot to show it. In fact, none of the threads under Travel & Dining have filled in blue dots to signify new posts, despite me having not opened a single one of those forums in weeks. As someone who accessed FT via this page, losing the functionality of seeing when a forum has new threads makes it almost completely useless to me. I now have to go through and open each forum I am interested in one by one to see if it has new posts.

I would be embarrassed if an employee put this in front of me as a finished product. I'm embarrassed *for* IB, that's how bad this is. This is what a first draft is supposed to look like before going through and you know, making it actually look good and operate correctly. There is ZERO reason that each individual trending thread needs to be taking up that much vertical space. The ability to expand a trending thread to see what it is about is completely useless when all you're given is the first three lines.

What is so wrong with having the trending threads page look exactly like every other page of the forum does? Where the topic is listed with the OP, last post, date, replies and views in one small space and if I want to view what the thread is about, I can mouse over it and get a popup showing me the first few lines of text. What could possibly possess IB to take a perfectly functioning page that looked like every other page on the forum and make it completely different and, worse, completely non-functional.

Is IB's next step to make the rest of the forum look like the trending threads page does now? If so, please let me know so I can just stop visiting now. Please roll this back to the previous version of the trending threads page, the one that looked exactly like every other page on the forum.
RumPatrol is offline  
Old Aug 18, 18, 6:19 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 183
There's certainly a lot of wasted space. I see 7 1/2 threads on my monitor. Next iteration, I guess the page will show the top five threads. I would much prefer the look we see in Travelbuzz, for example. Trending has a blank line at the start and end of each three line row (20 pixels of padding on top, 16 on the bottom). Travelbuzz has a third of that padding (six pixels above and six pixels below) with two line rows. Travelbuzz has Last Post, Replies and Views in sortable columns. Trending does not have sortable columns and the last post, replies and views text is repeated at each row.

The orange bubbles with numbers are a little odd. They look like red warning labels to me. And you are supposed to click on the star beside a row to make it count in the circle? One time I clicked on the "ALL FORUMS" link and the count became negative 17. I haven't been able to reproduce that.

The case is inconsistent as well. "ALL FORUMS", "Started Yesterday", "Last post", "replies".

flyertalk, please look at what you've had before. Compare the pages side by side. You should then be able to see the digression over the years that your readers see.

Here's the trending page:



Here's TravelBuzz. I've grayed out the top so you can see how the rows of trending would be presented within almost half the page here.

RumPatrol likes this.
WCT3U is offline  
Old Aug 18, 18, 3:54 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Programs: DL GM
Posts: 509
Originally Posted by WCT3U View Post
There's certainly a lot of wasted space. I see 7 1/2 threads on my monitor. Next iteration, I guess the page will show the top five threads. I would much prefer the look we see in Travelbuzz, for example. Trending has a blank line at the start and end of each three line row (20 pixels of padding on top, 16 on the bottom). Travelbuzz has a third of that padding (six pixels above and six pixels below) with two line rows. Travelbuzz has Last Post, Replies and Views in sortable columns. Trending does not have sortable columns and the last post, replies and views text is repeated at each row.

The orange bubbles with numbers are a little odd. They look like red warning labels to me. And you are supposed to click on the star beside a row to make it count in the circle? One time I clicked on the "ALL FORUMS" link and the count became negative 17. I haven't been able to reproduce that.

The case is inconsistent as well. "ALL FORUMS", "Started Yesterday", "Last post", "replies".

flyertalk, please look at what you've had before. Compare the pages side by side. You should then be able to see the digression over the years that your readers see.

Here's the trending page:



Here's TravelBuzz. I've grayed out the top so you can see how the rows of trending would be presented within almost half the page here.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Compare a normal FT sub-forum to this new trending threads page. The difference is jarring. I actually like the idea of having a subscribed forum tab to sort through, but not if it looks like this. If the rest of the forum is going to start going towards this look, count me all the way out of FT. Like I said before, there is no amount of quality user content that would compel me to deal with a website that looks like this. Just the random collection of font sizes is enough to drive anyone insane.

And again, a reminder to any IB employee looking at this, the trending topics directory DOES NOT WORK. The tiny blue/white dots meant to show new posts within a sub-forum do not work and have not moved since this """""upgrade""""" was implemented. How does this happen every single time IB rolls out an """""upgrade"""""? Since I became a registered, non-lurking member of FT, not one """""upgrade""""" has been implemented without some sort of glitch or bug. You guys realize you can test these things before making them live right? At the very least put out a beta version of the upgrade that gives users the option to test it out for you, but also the option to revert to the previous version in the mean time.

I would venture to guess more people initially access FT through the trending threads page than any other page on the forum as that is the page you're taken to when you click "Forum" at the top of any page of either the website or the forum. It would be one thing if it was just ugly, and it is UGLY, but to also have that page not working at all is unacceptable. What would compel anyone to introduce a forum "home" page that looks absolutely nothing like any other page on the forum? We are not talking about advanced cryptography here IB, this is 101 level stuff that anyone who took a web design elective Freshman year learned. Test before you implement.

Please just revert back to the previous version. If you want to revisit this new "upgrade" at a later date, feel free, after you figure out why it doesn't work and after you eliminate about 75% of the empty white space between threads. Also you might want to introduce a vertical line or darker background to the forum directory on the trending threads page to break up the screen a little bit.
RumPatrol is offline  
Old Aug 19, 18, 3:20 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Programs: DL GM
Posts: 509
Also, the bug where the trending threads page occasionally fails to populate with threads is back

And while you're here, please note all the empty dots in the forum directory denoting "no new posts" despite every single one of those forums having unread posts.



No big deal though, it is only the page every FlyerTalk user is taken to when they click the Forum button located at the top of every single page of this website. Not like it really needs to work or anything.
RumPatrol is offline  
Old Aug 22, 18, 9:48 am
  #10  
Administrator
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: Internet Brands
Posts: 1,782
Originally Posted by RumPatrol View Post
Also, the bug where the trending threads page occasionally fails to populate with threads is back

And while you're here, please note all the empty dots in the forum directory denoting "no new posts" despite every single one of those forums having unread posts.

No big deal though, it is only the page every FlyerTalk user is taken to when they click the Forum button located at the top of every single page of this website. Not like it really needs to work or anything.

Looks all good now. And I don't believe the "dots" are there to indicate if something is unread in that forum. They're just bullets to signify actual forums, versus categories.
IBJoel is offline  
Old Aug 22, 18, 2:05 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 183
Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
Looks all good now. And I don't believe the "dots" are there to indicate if something is unread in that forum. They're just bullets to signify actual forums, versus categories.
Circles, blue balls, BLUE CAPS, text with nothing special. It's not intuitive at all. I also still only see a bit more than seven trending threads on my maximized page.


WCT3U is offline  
Old Aug 22, 18, 4:35 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Programs: DL GM
Posts: 509
Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
Looks all good now. And I don't believe the "dots" are there to indicate if something is unread in that forum. They're just bullets to signify actual forums, versus categories.
Serious question, do you even look at your own forum? It literally says at the bottom of the page that blue means the forum contains new posts and an empty dot means forum contains no new posts, which is the exact same functionality the previous trending threads page had. Bullets to delineate sub-forums is pointless. It is either a bug or it is idiotic design. Either way, it needs to be fixed.



I can understand how you might have missed that box, considering you have to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page, well below the trending threads section ends, just to find it. Just for the record, on a 100% zoom browser window on a 25" monitor, I see 9 trending threads before I need to scroll. It now takes 3 scrolls to reach the bottom of the page.

Please explain to me why the trending threads page was made to look like this? It looks absolutely nothing like ANY other page on the forum and this is the page you are directed to any time you click the forum button on ANY page of this website. There are two completely different sets of UI on this site now, this trending threads page which has a directory containing dots (that don't work) and every other sub-forum page, which uses a combination of colorized/non-colorized logos and bold/non-bold text to differentiate between new content and read content. You know, like every other forum on the internet does.

Please tell whoever is in charge of actually programming this stuff to revert back to the original version of the trending threads page. This is insane. Making sure every page of your website utilizes the same UI is basically the first rule of web design.
RumPatrol is offline  
Old Aug 23, 18, 9:16 am
  #13  
Administrator
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: Internet Brands
Posts: 1,782
Originally Posted by RumPatrol View Post
Serious question, do you even look at your own forum? It literally says at the bottom of the page that blue means the forum contains new posts and an empty dot means forum contains no new posts, which is the exact same functionality the previous trending threads page had. Bullets to delineate sub-forums is pointless. It is either a bug or it is idiotic design. Either way, it needs to be fixed.

I can understand how you might have missed that box, considering you have to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page, well below the trending threads section ends, just to find it. Just for the record, on a 100% zoom browser window on a 25" monitor, I see 9 trending threads before I need to scroll. It now takes 3 scrolls to reach the bottom of the page.

Please explain to me why the trending threads page was made to look like this? It looks absolutely nothing like ANY other page on the forum and this is the page you are directed to any time you click the forum button on ANY page of this website. There are two completely different sets of UI on this site now, this trending threads page which has a directory containing dots (that don't work) and every other sub-forum page, which uses a combination of colorized/non-colorized logos and bold/non-bold text to differentiate between new content and read content. You know, like every other forum on the internet does.

Please tell whoever is in charge of actually programming this stuff to revert back to the original version of the trending threads page. This is insane. Making sure every page of your website utilizes the same UI is basically the first rule of web design.
I'll ask tech about the blue dots. I've never had them ever show up.

But I understand you're frustrated with the trending page. You do have the ability to turn it off, however. Go into "My FlyerTalk" and disable Trending in "Edit Options" (don't forget to save). Once you do that, you'll just get the normal forum index that you prefer.
IBJoel is offline  
Old Aug 23, 18, 11:31 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Programs: DL GM
Posts: 509
Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
I'll ask tech about the blue dots. I've never had them ever show up.

But I understand you're frustrated with the trending page. You do have the ability to turn it off, however. Go into "My FlyerTalk" and disable Trending in "Edit Options" (don't forget to save). Once you do that, you'll just get the normal forum index that you prefer.
But I want the trending threads, I do actually utilize them and believe I'd miss out on quite a bit of useful information I otherwise wouldn't read without them. I don't want them presented in this way. There is no reason for one page of the forum to have a completely different design than every other page on the forum. Especially when that one page is the one every user is taken to when they click forum.

Please do report back on the dot situation though. The previous functionality of the directory on that page had a small logo that was colorized when a new unread post was in a particular forum, which is the same functionality the rest of the site has (such as when you click the Asia sub-forum link and are brought to an index). That is obviously the functionality the trending threads page is still supposed to have, because that is what the page itself says, but it is not working. The previous functionality is vital to that page's usefulness. Without being able to see which sub-forums I typically read have new posts within them, I have to open all of them one by one. To all of a sudden have dots when the rest of the forum uses colorized/non-colorized images and bold/non-bold text to show new information makes no sense at all. That can't possibly be the intended design.

Interestingly enough, 2 of the links in the directory do have blue dots but neither of those links are to sub-forums. One is to the FT blog, the other is to the shared flight itinerary calendar. That leads me to believe that perhaps the previous functionality is still "there" but something in the coding of the page is broken. Definitely send it up the chain though, without a proper directory on that page, it makes it really tough to use FT. Either I have to do what you suggested and turn off trending threads, potentially missing out on information and news I want to know, or I need to open every sub-forum independently to check for new content. Neither option is appealing.
RumPatrol is offline  
Old Aug 23, 18, 11:32 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 183
Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
Once you do that, you'll just get the normal forum index that you prefer.
I like the function of the trending page. It's shown me some interesting posts that I wouldn't have seen. The content on the page is fine. It's the presentation of the content which stinks.
WCT3U is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread