Wiki Posts
Search

Trending threads issues

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Trending threads issues

Can anyone tell me just how 'trending threads' are chosen to appear on that page? I see threads with 4 responses in 2 days or whatever and yet somehow they are designated as 'trending threads'. I can't see any obvious method being used to pick what is a 'trending thread'.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: none
Decision is made by the same editors who decide what is a "Must Read".

Flyer Talk is a revenue-generating enterprise. When you click on particular links, someone's pocket gets richer.

Follow the money.
Yoshi212 and Adam1222 like this.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 6:15 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
As this is a tech support question, I'll move this thread to that forum.

chgoeditor
co-moderator, Info Desk
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Can anyone tell me just how 'trending threads' are chosen to appear on that page? I see threads with 4 responses in 2 days or whatever and yet somehow they are designated as 'trending threads'. I can't see any obvious method being used to pick what is a 'trending thread'.
I've been wondering this for a while myself and even asked one of the admin about it because I felt that some threads were being buried from view while others were being "promoted" similar to Twitter trending topics. Never received a firm answer, just that some sections of the forum like Tech Support are not included in that page (ironically). That still didn't explain exactly how this list is populated.

The trending threads page is how I access FT every visit, I like being able to see what's being discussed and then use the Forum Directory on the left to open up the various sub-forums I flock to. There are some days where I'll open the trending threads page and 15 of the 25 threads are from the same sub-forum and some of those threads only have 6 or 7 replies and 200 views.

Very odd. I wish it could be customized a bit so I can see the most popular threads only in the parts of the site I tend to visit, but I'm sure that's asking a lot.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:42 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
It's an algorithm that weighs newness, engagement, sub-forum location, and how long the thread has been on the Trending page. We obviously don't want the same handful of threads dominating the page every single day. That said, we're always looking to improve the program and I will pass along suggestions. Besides what RumPatrol said, what are some changes you'd like to see?

Oh, and I can assure you that our editors have absolutely zero in put on Trending (it's 100% computer generated), and aside from ads on the page, it is not a revenue source.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks for the answer IBJoel. Not that it tells me much. LOL
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: AC SE100K , 1MM, Hilton Diamond, KLM
trending

Originally Posted by IBJoel
It's an algorithm that weighs newness, engagement, sub-forum location, and how long the thread has been on the Trending page. We obviously don't want the same handful of threads dominating the page every single day. That said, we're always looking to improve the program and I will pass along suggestions. Besides what RumPatrol said, what are some changes you'd like to see?

Oh, and I can assure you that our editors have absolutely zero in put on Trending (it's 100% computer generated), and aside from ads on the page, it is not a revenue source.
Is there a link or can a link be created so that when i am in MY FLYERTALK i can go to trending?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:25 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by traacs
Is there a link or can a link be created so that when i am in MY FLYERTALK i can go to trending?
It's already there -- just click FlyerTalk Forums

If you are using the Trending home page, this will take you there. If you are not, enable it in your preferences under Edit Options.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi
It's already there -- just click FlyerTalk Forums

If you are using the Trending home page, this will take you there. If you are not, enable it in your preferences under Edit Options.
It is enabled under options but once I am in Myflyer tallk There is no link to go back to it. As well if my home page is My Flyertalk I can not get to it
Old Mar 26, 2018, 6:55 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by traacs
It is enabled under options but once I am in Myflyer tallk There is no link to go back to it. As well if my home page is My Flyertalk I can not get to it
I don't understand. If you have the trending home page enabled, that link will take you there.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:38 pm

trending

Originally Posted by IBobi
I don't understand. If you have the trending home page enabled, that link will take you there.
got it thanks for the info . re read all above and surprise

Last edited by traacs; Mar 26, 2018 at 9:45 pm
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:22 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by IBJoel

Being able to isolate the trending threads by region would be very helpful. I tend to access FT late at night US time, right now for example, and so the trending threads page ends up having a ton of British Airways sub-forum threads since it is getting to be morning over there. Not that I don't mind seeing what my friends across the pond are complaining about today but it isn't particularly helpful.

Would it be possible to combine a user's subscribed forums with the trending topics to create a sort of customized trending topics list? Or maybe a way to just opt-out of certain sub-forums and then the next trending topic from a sub-forum a user is opted in to will populate the list?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA, CX, AS, DL / Hilton, SPG
My trending page hasn’t updated in a few days, anyone else having this issue? I cleared everything and tried a different browser, but no change.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
My trending page hasn't updated for a few days either. I've cleared everything as well, and I've also tried a different browser to no avail.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RunningforMiles
My trending page hasn’t updated in a few days, anyone else having this issue? I cleared everything and tried a different browser, but no change.
Yes. Came here to post the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.