Formatting commands no longer work

Old Mar 18, 18, 3:19 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,101
Formatting commands no longer work

In several posts now I have tried to skip a line between paragraphs or use the indent button about the text box to offset a quote. Everything looks fine until I hit submit (this is on a desktop machine, not a phone). When the post appears in the thread, all formatting is gone. No lines between paragraphs, everything is back to the left edge margin. This makes it harder to read the posts and I think obscures part of the message.

Why does the "upgraded" FT now do this?

Is there any way to get formatting to work?
CDTraveler is offline  
Old Mar 18, 18, 5:42 pm
  #2  
Ambassador, New England
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Maineiac, USA
Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Posts: 2,550
Could you link to a post where the formatting you're talking about didn't work? In this thread, there is a blank line between your first paragraph and the "Why" line, and a blank line between the "Why" line and the "Is" line, so it appears to be working correctly here, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying about skipping lines.
lo2e is offline  
Old Mar 18, 18, 8:44 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,101
Originally Posted by lo2e View Post
Could you link to a post where the formatting you're talking about didn't work? In this thread, there is a blank line between your first paragraph and the "Why" line, and a blank line between the "Why" line and the "Is" line, so it appears to be working correctly here, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying about skipping lines.
Dog dies on IAH-LGA after FA supposedly insisted pax store dog overhead , post #550 .

Sometimes the extra line between paragraphs will appear, but more often than not, it won't. In post #550 , there should have been a line between my text and the start of the quote, and between the first paragraph of the quote and list. Both paragraphs of the quote should have been indented. I use the return key to put lines where I want them, and buttons in the frame above the text box to indent. It looks perfect when I create it, but as soon as I hit submit, the formatting vanishes.

Last edited by CDTraveler; Mar 19, 18 at 6:26 pm Reason: spelling
CDTraveler is offline  
Old Mar 19, 18, 5:14 am
  #4  
Ambassador, New England
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Maineiac, USA
Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Posts: 2,550
I'm going to try to take a stab at it. Is below how you want it to look other than omitting the quote at the very top of the post? I had to add in some additional blank spaces to separate some of the lines.

According to multiple witnesses, the family repeatedly told the FA it was a dog in the carrier. She either tuned them out or didn't care, but did insist on the dog carrier going into the overhead bin.

As for the FAA, here's the Federal Aviation Administration has to say about pets in the cabin:
What are the FAA rules regarding traveling with pets in the passenger cabin?
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) allows each airline to decide if they will allow you to travel with your pet in the passenger cabin. If an airline does allow you to bring your pet into the cabin, we consider your pet container to be carry-on baggage and you must follow all carry on baggage rules (14 CFR part 121, section 121.589):
  • Your pet container must be small enough to fit underneath the seat without blocking any person's path to the main aisle of the airplane.
  • Your pet container must be stowed properly before the last passenger entry door to the airplane is closed in order for the airplane to leave the gate.
  • Your pet container must remain properly stowed the entire time the airplane is moving on the airport surface, and for take off and landing.
  • You must follow flight attendant instructions regarding the proper stowage of your pet container.
So according to federal regulations, passengers are required to do with the FA tells them to do with the pet carrier.

That rule may be why United stepped up and assumed full responsibility for the dog's death: the passengers were complying with federal regulations and their employee was not.

Last edited by lo2e; Mar 19, 18 at 9:22 am
lo2e is offline  
Old Mar 19, 18, 7:07 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,101
Originally Posted by lo2e View Post
I'm going to try to take a stab at it. Is below how you want it to look other than omitting the quote at the very top of the post? I had to add in some additional blank spaces to separate some of the lines.

According to multiple witnesses, the family repeatedly told the FA it was a dog in the carrier. She either tuned them out or didn't care, but did insist on the dog carrier going into the overhead bin.

As for the FAA, here's the Federal Aviation Administration has to say about pets in the cabin:

What are the FAA rules regarding traveling with pets in the passenger cabin?

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) allows each airline to decide if they will allow you to travel with your pet in the passenger cabin. If an airline does allow you to bring your pet into the cabin, we consider your pet container to be carry-on baggage and you must follow all carry on baggage rules (14 CFR part 121, section 121.589):
  • Your pet container must be small enough to fit underneath the seat without blocking any person's path to the main aisle of the airplane.
  • Your pet container must be stowed properly before the last passenger entry door to the airplane is closed in order for the airplane to leave the gate.
  • Your pet container must remain properly stowed the entire time the airplane is moving on the airport surface, and for take off and landing.
  • You must follow flight attendant instructions regarding the proper stowage of your pet container.
So according to federal regulations, passengers are required to do with the FA tells them to do with the pet carrier.

That rule may be why United stepped up and assumed full responsibility for the dog's death: the passengers were complying with federal regulations and their employee was not.
No, it should have been offset to the right from "What are" through the end of the bulleted list. I've used the offset text button a number of times over the years and until the recent update, it worked as expected. Now it works until I click submit, then vanishes.
CDTraveler is offline  
Old Mar 19, 18, 2:25 pm
  #6  
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: Internet Brands
Posts: 1,782
Testing
Line 1

Line 2

Line 3
End Test

Yup, I see what's going on. I'll alert our tech team. Thanks for the head's up!

EDIT: Spoke with tech and this should be fixed by a minor update in about a week or two, on their current schedule.
CDTraveler likes this.

Last edited by IBJoel; Mar 19, 18 at 2:45 pm
IBJoel is offline  
Old Jun 10, 18, 10:46 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,101
Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
Testing
Line 1

Line 2

Line 3
End Test

Yup, I see what's going on. I'll alert our tech team. Thanks for the head's up!

EDIT: Spoke with tech and this should be fixed by a minor update in about a week or two, on their current schedule.
Update:
As you type the text offset button shows offset text in the draft, and you can use extra lines between paragraphs. Now neither of those features is working again. However if you go back and edit after you post, then the extra lines will show up and but text offset still does not work.
CDTraveler is offline  
Old Jun 11, 18, 1:16 pm
  #8  
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: Internet Brands
Posts: 1,782
Testing Indent
Test

EDIT: Reported
IBJoel is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread