Reload this Page >

Very slow loading of pages on flyertalk.com and forums

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Very slow loading of pages on flyertalk.com and forums

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:13 pm

Huh. Looks fine to me ... performance is good, too!

Attached Images  
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Performance is fine for me. I hate the redesign.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
"It's a feature!"
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
The performance is real bad for me. Sometimes when I type the letters appear after a noticeable delay. It’s like 1988 again.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I honestly believe that web forum technology peaked around 2001 and everything since then has just been a spiral of bloat. The automatic cascading drives me nuts and I lose track of what page I am on.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: UA MP
I had this, then disabled automatic cascading and the issues went away.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:31 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
And they won't even discuss why these changes were made.
I'll put it this way: They wouldn't make widely unpopular and highly imperfect changes like these unless there was some incentive to them to do so. I'll let you draw your own conclusions as to what sort of in¢entive that i$.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:54 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Hi guys, would you be able to post screenshots of the ads appearing/memory usage? If we get enough, we can probably pinpoint what's causing the slowness.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:52 pm

Got a new laptop for work (Surface Book 3). Using Edge (or Explorer, I don't know) and this site is painfully slow. I often get a msg that this site is not responsive, long script running, etc. There's a delay when I type. Help pls.

Last edited by Troopers; Apr 11, 2018 at 4:40 pm
Old Apr 12, 2018, 4:50 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Ads causing FT to lose connection

I am finding that I am getting slow page reads and losing connection from my iMac through Chrome. I know that FT needs the revenue, but the ads make FT clunky and difficult to use. I don't have any such issues on my macbook where (sorry) I use edblock I only use ....... on my Macbook as I have less RAM on that machine and FT is completely unusable with the ads with regular freezing and slow scrolling. I don't buy anything from onscreen ads in any case, but the way these ads interfere with FT makes me consider using ....... on my imac as well.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi
From what I can tell, it's been more like 18 hours. We are working on it!
Not hard enough. I am reinstalling axblocker for this site, it is unuseable. It was the only reason I applied it before.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Not hard enough. I am reinstalling axblocker for this site, it is unuseable. It was the only reason I applied it before.
Agree. Whatever work IB has been doing hasn't been enough. This is literally the only site where I have these issues. Loading FT on my laptop immediately causes RAM and CPU to spike and the cooling fans to spin up to full blast.

I now browse FT exclusively mobile where there are fewer ads, or I activate AB software on my laptop.

I hate to deprive IB of the revenue, but currently the site they are hosting is in its native format subpar to the point of being unusable.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 4:47 am

I am also getting "waiting for secure.adnxs.com" as a dialogue on the bottom. I usually can't even just reload the page until I get the Oh Snap from Chrome. You've been working on this for over a year. It's beyond tiresome now. There doesn't seem to be any sense of urgency on the matter.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
. . . I am reinstalling axblocker for this site, it is unuseable. It was the only reason I applied it before.
Same here, but on a Windows PC. FT without having an ad blocker turned on was very slow to refresh and fully load. Possibly the ads trying to stay aligned with the area you are looking at while you scroll is part of the problem. I am open to turning ad blocker off if/when others (in this thread) are seeing noticeable improvements.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by IBJoel
Hi guys, would you be able to post screenshots of the ads appearing/memory usage? If we get enough, we can probably pinpoint what's causing the slowness.
I understand the frustration expressed here, but it could help if IB had the screen shots (e.g. “waiting for secure.adnxs.com” and advert alignment issues. I’m not purporting to promise anything here, but this is definitely a joint (user - IB) challenge, and hopefully working together we can see this issue resolved.

(The post content above has been enhanced for visibility.)

Thank you,

JDiver, Co-Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 15, 2018 at 9:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.