Search

Very slow loading of pages on flyertalk.com and forums

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RumPatrol
Funding from our sponsors helps us invest back into FlyerTalk to improve your experience but we've made no actual efforts to improve your experience and have made it worse in many ways but keep feeding us ad money by turning your ad blocker off.

I have less trouble with ads and slow down on shady foreign sports streaming websites than I do on FT.

I think they had to stop deleting those posts once IB reps started re-posting that Wired article about how this ad hijack problem is internet-wide and not just IB/FT, but an entire paragraph of the article says to use an ad blocker because that is the only way to stop it (for now). Kinda tough to keep taking a hard line on ad blockers when the "proof" you're using to show why you can't fix the widespread issue says the only fix for users is an ad blocker.

FT is one of the sites where the content is of great enough importance and quality for me to justify turning my ad blocking software off to throw a little money back, but as it stands now I wouldn't come anywhere near FT without an ad blocker and I simply stopped accessing the site via mobile at all.
As the old says goes, hit them in the wallet. IF everyone used an AB while on FT, I'm sure things would change and issues resolved.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
FT claims other sites have issues too. After turning off my AB I find that out of all of the sites I visit FT is the only one with these issues. So the problem is clearly the ad provider that FT has chosen. The solution seems simple - change ad providers. Once the issue is fixed then I will gladly turn off my AB.
FlightNurse likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by OttawaMark
FT claims other sites have issues too. After turning off my AB I find that out of all of the sites I visit FT is the only one with these issues. So the problem is clearly the ad provider that FT has chosen. The solution seems simple - change ad providers. Once the issue is fixed then I will gladly turn off my AB.
Same. My adblocker counts the number of ads it has blocked on each webpage I visit. Most websites are around 3 to 5. FT is anywhere between 25 and 40. Per page.

I'd also happily turn off my adblocker to make sure the powers that be get their fair share, but I don't come to FT just to look at ads/overheat my computer/inadvertently download a virus.
FlightNurse likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: Cessna TTx Self-Fly
Originally Posted by Lost
Same. My adblocker counts the number of ads it has blocked on each webpage I visit. Most websites are around 3 to 5. FT is anywhere between 25 and 40. Per page.

I'd also happily turn off my adblocker to make sure the powers that be get their fair share, but I don't come to FT just to look at ads/overheat my computer/inadvertently download a virus.

I'm currently seeing 18-20 per page on Chrome on Win 10 i5 . With ad blocker off my fans start screaming.
FlightNurse and Lost like this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Lost

I can't believe no one from Admin has commented or given an update.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:48 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I can't believe no one from Admin has commented or given an update.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...9&postcount=79

Please take a look up-thread. When there is an update we will be able to post it. Last admin post was... 3 days ago. This issue is not going to be resolved fast, I'm afraid. It's been reported to our techs. Now we wait.

Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:52 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Closing this thread; please refer future updates to the existing ad-problems threads.

For mobile devices:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tech...see-132-a.html

For Desktop:

Report Disruptive 2018 Ads on Your Desktop Device - Please Post SCREEN SHOTS

Thank you
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:35 pm

Angry Just me or has this site become incredibly, slow, clunky and cluttered?

Seems like redesign in the last year has made this site infuritiangly difficult to use. Pages take a while to load. Ads come up everywhere and keep reloading. I've been using this site for almost 10 years . I don't recall this slowness till just recently.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:47 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
You should take a visit to the Technical Support and Feedback forum here on FT. Lots of reports of "issues" with the site.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I've been disappointed by the performance here for the last 3-6 months, at least. Ads load slow. Nothing moves until the ads load.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Recently I've found the mobile site significantly easier to use (though less meta-informational) than the website.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I've been disappointed by the performance here for the last 3-6 months, at least. Ads load slow. Nothing moves until the ads load.
Yup, I have the same problem. The site is almost unusable. I have stopped coming here for credit card deal information... Hopefully they will fix it..
Old Apr 9, 2018, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by show_me_the_points
Yup, I have the same problem. The site is almost unusable. I have stopped coming here for credit card deal information... Hopefully they will fix it..
From the lack of action by IB looks the site will not be put back to what is was 2 weeks or back to what it was 1 year ago.
The site has had 2 big downgrades in the last ~year.

Feedback on FT new style, March 2018
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
From the lack of action by IB looks the site will not be put back to what is was 2 weeks or back to what it was 1 year ago.
The site has had 2 big downgrades in the last ~year.

Feedback on FT new style, March 2018
And they won't even discuss why these changes were made. Tone death!
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
worst that I have EVER seen it as far as performance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.