1) Disabling infinite scroll:
  • Go to My FlyerTalk Control Panel
    • Edit options
      • Disable Infinite Scroll

2) Restore previous post editing options:
  • Go to My FlyerTalk Control Panel
    • Settings and Options
      • Miscellaneous Options
        • Message Editor Interface and select “Standard Editor -- extra formatting controls” (you may see odd behavior in this unsupported editor)

NOTE: For ease of both members posting and Technical Support, this thread has been split into two threads for 2018; one exclusively for MOBILE devices, the other for DESKTOP devices. You can find them here:

2018 FT Nov 2017 Upgrade for DESKTOP Devices BUG REPORTS (link), and

2018 FT Nov 2017 Upgrade for MOBILE Devices BUG REPORTS
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: FT 15 Nov 2017 Upgrade Tech Thread - 2017 BUG REPORTS

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:28 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Same here. Especially for me in WN forum. Using iPhone 6S Plus, iOS 11.1.2.
iPad editing issues have been reported to tech.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by RumPatrol
This is STILL happening to me as well. I thought it might just be dodgy internet since I've been off the grid a bit, but it is still happening on rock solid connections. This is severely hampering my FT browsing experience as I prefer to open all the threads I want to view in new tabs first, then go through and read them one by one. All of a sudden I might have 20 different tabs, none of which are loading right away. The pages are functional, they just aren't fully rendering.

I'm certain it is an ad issue, but even with all my blockers on and no ads appearing on the page at all, it still happens. Interestingly, it happens less often when logged out.
You are opening FT pages and the "bottom" isn't loading? Can you take a screen shot or a video to illustrate? I will need to be able to reproduce this issue (we haven't seen it at all) if I am to tell my tech guys to fix it. Also please include your browser type, device type, and whether you're using the mobile skin or desktop mode. Thank you!
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
<redacted>

+1

There seems to be a hit-or-miss end result with whether and/or how bugs are addressed. The ad redirects haven't been fixed. It was an ordeal just to get the simple OP tag back to how people wanted it. There seems to be little interest in users' desires or needs. Yes there have been fixes to the initial rollout disaster - after members served as product testers for IB.

I'm sure that IB doesn't view these "enhancements" as having had a substantial negative effect, and perhaps from a pure statistics standpoint it hasn't...the site's massive content allows it to rest on its laurels for now. But as you noted, users supply all of the content for the site* plus the volunteer moderator workforce, and now are the defacto software testers, too. Yet this isn't the only game in town (I'm not referring to Milepoint/Insideflyer) for travel and points & miles information and discussion. IMHO the approach/attitude that IB is taking won't be good in the long run for the site. And while I love FT, am eternally grateful for what I've gained here, and want to see it succeed...if it eventually becomes a net negative experience I'll move on to something else.

(The above comments are all with regard to IB in a corporate sense, and not to be taken personally towards individual IB employee posters who I know are just doing their jobs as best they can, as directed by their bosses.)

*The vapid front page "articles" don't count as real content and even if they did, they would only be a tiny piece of the content pie.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 15, 2017 at 9:18 am Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by kale73
The only way I can tolerate browsing the threads using Safari on my iPad is to turn Javascript OFF. This disables many of the site's "features", but at least pages aren't constantly reloading due to errors.
I have turned off Javascript and other than not being able to see videos or view the Wiki posts FT functions really well. But if I click on the wiki edit button I can see what's there, so it's no great loss. A little extra clicking and I can tolerate the site.

One thing I miss from the old days was the MyFlyertalk button at the bottom of the page that I would click when I was at the end of a thread.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by ckendall
One thing I miss from the old days was the MyFlyertalk button at the bottom of the page that I would click when I was at the end of a thread.
In fairness, after complaints by many including me, that has very recently been restored. Check it out.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by IBobi
That is what My Threads is, a list of threads you started. If you want a list of threads you have contributed to, use My Posts.
@IBobi, you seem to be missing the point that the behaviour has changed. While you can argue that "My Threads" could mean "Threads I own because I started them" it used to have the meaning "Threads I am a part of because I have posted there". As mentioned up thread:

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
I think it's as simple as:Drop the 90 day limit and I think they're giving equivalent results. There are plenty of threads that either I or no-one posts to for over 90 days, and when an add-on thought / query is made by someone it's only because it shows showed up in "My Threads" that I knew to go and offer sage advice again .
The suggestion to use My Posts is simply wrong. I don't want to see a list of my posts - I want to see a list of all threads I have posted to and see if anyone has posted after I last read it.

An excellent example came up today where by using the top-right Profile-drop / My Recent Posts an old thread that someone has just posted to but I haven't for a while didn't appear. Luckily, I have that above URL bookmarked so that I can use it periodically to see what the "official" links are now missing.

I still miss it every day, so please change it back unless you have a really good reason not to. At the moment it just seems to have got accidentally mangled in the upgrade.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:53 pm

@IBobi, you seem to be missing the point that the behaviour has changed. While you can argue that "My Threads" could mean "Threads I own because I started them" it used to have the meaning "Threads I am a part of because I have posted there". As mentioned up thread, the link used to be:

The suggestion to use My Posts is simply wrong. I don't want to see a list of my posts - I want to see a list of all threads I have posted to and see if anyone has posted after I last read it.

An excellent example came up today where by using the top-right Profile-drop / My Recent Posts an old thread that someone has just posted to but I haven't for a while didn't appear. Luckily, I have that above URL bookmarked so that I can use it periodically to see what the "official" links are now missing.

I still miss it every day, so please change it back unless you have a really good reason not to. At the moment it just seems to have got accidentally mangled in the upgrade.
I have actually asked my tech guy to change this twice now, since the upgrade, at users' request. He has done so both times. There seems to be no consensus as to what this link should actually do, or even what it did before.

If you can whip up some consensus as to the exact behavior that these link should do, I can ask him one more time to try to make that happen. But I can't do it when one or two people ask for it, because inevitably one or two other people have said it's something different.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:56 pm
Administrator

Programs: SPG
@IBobi, you seem to be missing the point that the behaviour has changed. While you can argue that "My Threads" could mean "Threads I own because I started them" it used to have the meaning "Threads I am a part of because I have posted there". As mentioned up thread, the link used to be:

"IBobi's tech guy" here. I have been trying to understand this report for a while now and now reading this I am even more confused. We actually want to change it - but every time we did, someone else reported it as wrong.

As far as functionality goes, there were ever 2 types of searches available - ever, and nothing has changed here. The two types of searches were "Give me all threads that I have created" and "Give me all threads in which I have posted"; respectively "My Threads" and "My Posts". At first I flipped them (the labels), because users were confused and thought posts were threads and vice versa, but someone reported that as a bug, so I switched it back. I am having a hard time figuring out if you're not happy about the labels or the functionality behind the labels; confusing bit being that the functionality behind the labels has not in any way changed. Believe me, we want to get this right, but just not understanding how.
IBobi likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi
I have actually asked my tech guy to change this twice now, since the upgrade, at users' request. He has done so both times. There seems to be no consensus as to what this link should actually do, or even what it did before.

If you can whip up some consensus as to the exact behavior that these link should do, I can ask him one more time to try to make that happen. But I can't do it when one or two people ask for it, because inevitably one or two other people have said it's something different.
Thanks ^.

I've been following this closely and not noticed anyone asking for anything other than what I (and others) asked for multiple times, although we may have confused you by asking for it in slightly different ways . I'll see if I can spot the other request, and if anyone can point to it then that'd help.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by IBxAnders
As far as functionality goes, there were ever 2 types of searches available - ever, and nothing has changed here. The two types of searches were "Give me all threads that I have created" and "Give me all threads in which I have posted"; respectively "My Threads" and "My Posts".
In the interests of trying to get this right rather than flame in any way, I think you're getting that wrong...

I turned the old "My Threads" into a "tile" bookmark on my cell phone so I could leap into it. The link I saved 2-3 years ago was:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sear...er&mythreads=1

It still works, and it's behaviour is what you describe for "My Posts". It is a thing of beauty .

You can get the same desirable results with:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sear...&userid=155019

And of course we have the new My Recent Posts link which gives a similar output to what I / we are requesting but imposes an arguably (by me ) crippling 90-day limit on self-contribution:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sear...&searchdate=90

That "good" URL is structurally similar, but greatly different in terms of output, to the current (and possibly previous - I've never found it useful so can't comment on whether this has changed) My Posts links:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sear...duser&u=155019

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Dec 15, 2017 at 4:55 pm
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:07 pm

is this site cause problems?

I love the site and the user's sharing amazing data - and willing to help. lately i've noticed that running it on safari Version 11.0.1 (mac 10.31) it is quite slow and causes my fans and CPU to bog down signficantly. it seems the work need to access the pages is quite lot. any tips?
84fiero likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thank you for that discussion, EsherFlyer. That was clear and informative.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Had the same problem on Android. It seems to be related to video ads on the page.

I've alerted a mod to move this thread to the tech support forum.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Pookynubbers
I love the site and the user's sharing amazing data - and willing to help. lately i've noticed that running it on safari Version 11.0.1 (mac 10.31) it is quite slow and causes my fans and CPU to bog down signficantly. it seems the work need to access the pages is quite lot. any tips?
There are two things I can think of that may be causing problems. If you have infinite scroll turned on, you may find that the page slows to a crawl as it loads more and more pages. That feature can be disabled in the settings. I found that disabling infinite scroll freed up a lot of my computers resources.

Secondly, it may be an ad problem. Users are reporting that the new FT is sending a ton of server requests to support all the ads running on the page (See this post). There are some ways to solve this problem, but they involve browser addons that will stop advertisements from appearing.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pookynubbers
I love the site and the user's sharing amazing data - and willing to help. lately I've noticed that running it on safari Version 11.0.1 (mac 10.31) it is quite slow and causes my fans and CPU to bog down significantly. I seems the work need to access the pages is quite lot. Any tips?
After the Nov 15 software downgrade this is now not unusual.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tech...g-reports.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.