Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

FT Search / Advanced Search Related Issues (master thread)

FT Search / Advanced Search Related Issues (master thread)

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 1, 20, 2:02 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
If you're feeling challenged using our Search or Advanced Search, please read further below. See post #1 for some basics.

If you're having strange search issues you've not noticed previously:

1) Try searching using another browser and see if it's replicating the trouble. If it is, it might be a FkyerTalk issue. Read the last posts to see if the issue has been reported; if not, please add your observations as completely as possible.

2) If you can't replicate the issue with another browser, try clearing the cache of the browser displaying faulty search results.

Searching for information on FlyerTalk
FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it.

Some resources for searching FlyerTalk:

Canarsie's Using the Search Feature on FlyerTalk: The Definitive Thread has relocated to the Information Desk Forum; it can be found there.

One can search FlyerTalk with Google with this web form.

Or, if you are used to Google search, go to Google and preface your search terms with site:www.flyertalk.com in the box on the main page, along with your search terms.

Or, use Google Advanced Search and insert www.flyertalk.com in the site or domain: box.

Other options using Google from FT Moderator essxjay:

"If I only need search results from FT I make it explicit e.g., site:flyertalk.com "Amanwana", which returns just 671 results rather than tens of thousands.

And since you know which forum to look in you could refine the above even further to search just the luxury hotels/travel forum. Thusly, site:flyertalk.com inurl:luxury-hotels intext:Amanwana. That returns 629 hits.

Here's a nifty 10 minute overview of advanced search operators if you're so inclined."

Thank you from the forum Moderator team
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 5, 16, 7:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The basics.

At the top of the forum page you will see two solid blue menu bars. Select the second, rightmost option is Advanced Search, and from there Show Threads, followed by Advanced Search. A menu box will pop up from which to select your sesrch parameters. See below.

You can search for posts or threads, and even for posts by specific members. I’d suggest experimenting a little and familiarizing yourself with various searches and their results.

You can select one, multiple or all open fora to search.

NOTE: Advanced Search doesn’t play well with search terms with three or fewer characters, or very common words. If I’m searching for thevterms 747 or changes, I’ll get an error page. I must force such searches by using quotation marks to enclose my search terms:

“747”

“changes”

Also note search converts all search terms to lower case. DYKWIA will actually search as dykwia, which would reveal both terms if they existed. No harm is done by using capital letters, but the capitalization is ignored.

Be sure to read the Wikipost at the top of the thread for further information, links to resources and alternatives to FlyerTalk Search.
Attached Images   

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 15, 18 at 11:22 am
Old Jul 5, 17, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Arrow FT Search / Advanced Search Related Issues (master thread)

Anyone else having issues with the search function today?

I am putting in search terms that I *know* are in threads and/or titles and am coming up with either limited or no results.
Old Jul 5, 17, 1:04 pm
Administrator

Terms such as?
Old Jul 5, 17, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it was on my head since this morning ... but the one that really made me think was an advanced search for posts, displayed by posts

morning joe* mika

I know it had been discussed in a particular thread ... I was just looking for the post to quote ... but nothing from that thread would come up in my search.

I was able to manually go back through the thread and find the post with those terms in it ...

This is what I got: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/searc...ning-joe*-mika

but the thread I wanted wasn't included.

Not a huge thing ... just feels wonky today.

(Similar things looking for a specific North Korea thread ... didn't come up either ... few more I don't recall)
Old Jul 5, 17, 1:26 pm
Administrator

I'm seeing that result when I do a search on Chrome -- please let us know if you see continuing wonkiness! Thank you for reporting.
Old Aug 22, 17, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A couple of recent examples.

I *think* I know there is a /PR thread on Russia Sanctions. I'm a pretty sure it is titled either "Russia Sanctions" or "Russian Sanctions"

Advanced search of any of those words in title doesn't being it up. (Using Chrome)

I also know there is a thread on the Steve Scalise shooting at the congressional baseball game practice. I searched a ton of different terms and couldn't find it.

Another poster in OMNI/PR had the same issue trying to find it.

I am convinced that the search function, at least for me and some other posters, isn't bringing up all of the threads it should.
Old Aug 22, 17, 11:35 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Dergon, can you PM me those two threads? I will alert tech to them not showing up.
Old Aug 22, 17, 9:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm View Post
A couple of recent examples.

I *think* I know there is a /PR thread on Russia Sanctions. I'm a pretty sure it is titled either "Russia Sanctions" or "Russian Sanctions"

Advanced search of any of those words in title doesn't being it up. (Using Chrome)

I also know there is a thread on the Steve Scalise shooting at the congressional baseball game practice. I searched a ton of different terms and couldn't find it.

Another poster in OMNI/PR had the same issue trying to find it.

I am convinced that the search function, at least for me and some other posters, isn't bringing up all of the threads it should.
Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
Dergon, can you PM me those two threads? I will alert tech to them not showing up.
Advanced Search OMNI/PR thread titles, results as titles only, search term russia+sanctions

Results: Exxon seeks waiver from Russia Sanctions (link)

Advanced Search OMNI/PR and All open forums, thread titles, results as titles only, search term "scalise".

Results: "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

Advanced Search OMNI/PR and All open forums, thread titles, results as titles only, search term "steve".

Results: A gazillion threads on FT with "Steve" in the title, nothing with Steve Scalise. Steve Mnuchin, Bannon, etc. etc.

I've had to carry out some searches today, they've all worked flawlessly (the bug of las Friday was swatted suvpccessfully). But I suspect a Scalise thread may have had the last name misspelled, or the thread may have been deleted - because there appears to be no such thread on all of FlyerTalk.

If one has search issues when others don't, my suggestion is cache clearing as a first solution attempt.
IBJoel likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 22, 17 at 9:42 pm
Old Aug 22, 17, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FT search has been working brilliantly for me for years

suddenly barely works at all, dont remember exact date

just one example: only results are ancient threads

i guess i will start posting here next time i run a search, and then posting what should have been in results
Old Aug 22, 17, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
FT search has been working brilliantly for me for years

suddenly barely works at all, dont remember exact date

just one example: only results are ancient threads

i guess i will start posting here next time i run a search, and then posting what should have been in results
Friday, most likely. A tweak was performed that broke search, but it was reversed Friday afternoon. We had a few hours without any search at all.

But if you're having current problems like that, I'd suspect cache issues.

IBobi may give us some other ideas when he's back at work ~9:00 am Wednesday Pacific time.
Old Aug 23, 17, 12:25 pm
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Advanced Search OMNI/PR thread titles, results as titles only, search term russia+sanctions

Results: Exxon seeks waiver from Russia Sanctions (link)

Advanced Search OMNI/PR and All open forums, thread titles, results as titles only, search term "scalise".

Results: "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

Advanced Search OMNI/PR and All open forums, thread titles, results as titles only, search term "steve".

Results: A gazillion threads on FT with "Steve" in the title, nothing with Steve Scalise. Steve Mnuchin, Bannon, etc. etc.

I've had to carry out some searches today, they've all worked flawlessly (the bug of las Friday was swatted suvpccessfully). But I suspect a Scalise thread may have had the last name misspelled, or the thread may have been deleted - because there appears to be no such thread on all of FlyerTalk.

If one has search issues when others don't, my suggestion is cache clearing as a first solution attempt.
I need links to the threads that are trying to be found to report to tech. If I can't show them a specific non-result, I can't show them a bug. That said, thank you for the steps to reproduce.
Old Aug 23, 17, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

proof?

this post (not thread) does not appear in searches : http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post28677624

i cant speak for others, but i have a good memory, and have always been able to find ancient posts based on that memory, with zero problems, until this recent whatever happened. mostly using FT search rather than google. now there are basically no valid results for any searches. for example as i said, all results being ancient, including for terms that probably have many posts every day on FT.

btw, whoever mentioned "inurl:" in wiki - thanks! didnt know that one.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 23, 17 at 7:07 pm
Old Aug 24, 17, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
proof?

this post (not thread) does not appear in searches : http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post28677624

i cant speak for others, but i have a good memory, and have always been able to find ancient posts based on that memory, with zero problems, until this recent whatever happened. mostly using FT search rather than google. now there are basically no valid results for any searches. for example as i said, all results being ancient, including for terms that probably have many posts every day on FT.

btw, whoever mentioned "inurl:" in wiki - thanks! didnt know that one.
I had no problems finding that thread, from the forum or searching all fora.

Search term: "wrong"+"ff"

I had no problems finding that post, either searching by poster handle, or by searching within posts (results as posts) for alaskaair.com/content/.

But if there's a new post, or a post is edited in the case of searching within posts, it may require some minutes before the data base index is updated. I notice this when I'm moderating and doing thread splits or post moves in particular; the index can "loose" posts temporarily or experience false pagination problems.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 24, 17 at 9:31 am
Old Aug 24, 17, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yesterday, all the searches i ran for that post, using many different words in post, showed only ancient posts

yesterday was 12 days after post made

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 24, 17 at 9:54 am
Old Aug 24, 17, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

now this is interesting >
oneworld malaysia = doesnt work
"oneworld" "malaysia" = works

Search this Thread
Search Engine: