Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

FT Search / Advanced Search Related Issues (master thread)

FT Search / Advanced Search Related Issues (master thread)

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 1, 20, 2:02 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
If you're feeling challenged using our Search or Advanced Search, please read further below. See post #1 for some basics.

If you're having strange search issues you've not noticed previously:

1) Try searching using another browser and see if it's replicating the trouble. If it is, it might be a FkyerTalk issue. Read the last posts to see if the issue has been reported; if not, please add your observations as completely as possible.

2) If you can't replicate the issue with another browser, try clearing the cache of the browser displaying faulty search results.

Searching for information on FlyerTalk
FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it.

Some resources for searching FlyerTalk:

Canarsie's Using the Search Feature on FlyerTalk: The Definitive Thread has relocated to the Information Desk Forum; it can be found there.

One can search FlyerTalk with Google with this web form.

Or, if you are used to Google search, go to Google and preface your search terms with site:www.flyertalk.com in the box on the main page, along with your search terms.

Or, use Google Advanced Search and insert www.flyertalk.com in the site or domain: box.

Other options using Google from FT Moderator essxjay:

"If I only need search results from FT I make it explicit e.g., site:flyertalk.com "Amanwana", which returns just 671 results rather than tens of thousands.

And since you know which forum to look in you could refine the above even further to search just the luxury hotels/travel forum. Thusly, site:flyertalk.com inurl:luxury-hotels intext:Amanwana. That returns 629 hits.

Here's a nifty 10 minute overview of advanced search operators if you're so inclined."

Thank you from the forum Moderator team
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 28, 20, 10:08 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
If I search using the flyertalk search many times it returns posts without the keyword whatsoever. Sometimes it seems the keyword is in the wiki, I have figured it out, making the returning result by "post" instead of "thread" absolutely useless. When it should be useful in threads that are thousands of pages long.
There a great thread regarding the optimal use of Search / Advanced Search: Using the Search Feature on FlyerTalk: The Definitive Thread
Old Jul 28, 20, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by IBJoel View Post
Can you give me an example so I can take a look?
Sure. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sear...ate-wait-times
You will get this result, for example, and wonder what relevance it has: Gold/Diamond Breakfast at Hilton family properties (master thread)
It has none. It is just that Alaska appears in the wiki.
Old Jul 29, 20, 9:23 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
Sure. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sear...ate-wait-times
You will get this result, for example, and wonder what relevance it has: Gold/Diamond Breakfast at Hilton family properties (master thread)
It has none. It is just that Alaska appears in the wiki.
OK I see. Yeah, this is just a limit to search algorithms every engine has, unfortunately. Doing Advanced Search specifically in the AS forum and having "companion certificate wait times" may yield better results for your purposes.
Old Jul 29, 20, 11:00 am

OK I see. Yeah, this is just a limit to search algorithms every engine has, unfortunately. Doing Advanced Search specifically in the AS forum and having "companion certificate wait times" may yield better results for your purposes.
Ok, thanks. The problem is sometimes you don't know which forum to put the search. For example, award ticket on Japan Airlines could be done in the Alaska subforum, or in the Japan Airlines forum, or maybe also American Airlines or another Japan Airlines partner.
Old Jul 29, 20, 1:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Ok, thanks. The problem is sometimes you don't know which forum to put the search. For example, award ticket on Japan Airlines could be done in the Alaska subforum, or in the Japan Airlines forum, or maybe also American Airlines or another Japan Airlines partner.
You can select multiple fora to search when you use Advanced Search. The thread linked to above probably indicates that, but see my illustration. Here, I’m looking in titles only for the search string “status+extension”, meaning status in conjunction with extension in the Air New Zealand, Alitalia and American Airlines fora.

Old Jul 29, 20, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
You can select multiple fora to search when you use Advanced Search. The thread linked to above probably indicates that, but see my illustration. Here, I’m looking in titles only for the search string “status+extension”, meaning status in conjunction with extension in the Air New Zealand, Alitalia and American Airlines fora.

Thanks. I know how to select multiple forums. It is just that sometimes results pop up in forums you don't expect. And they could be helpful.
Old Aug 11, 20, 2:10 pm

So annoying. Searching for Chicago and a BA thread pops up, with absolutely no mention of Chicago in the posts returned except in the wiki.
Old Yesterday, 11:20 am
Administrator

So annoying. Searching for Chicago and a BA thread pops up, with absolutely no mention of Chicago in the posts returned except in the wiki.
This works just like Google. You can specify specific sites/forums you want to search, but if you want to include everything, you'll likely end up with stuff that is irrelevant for your purposes.
Old Yesterday, 11:49 am

This works just like Google. You can specify specific sites/forums you want to search, but if you want to include everything, you'll likely end up with stuff that is irrelevant for your purposes.
Actually it absolutely doesn't work like Google. Google doesn't include all your search terms, it tries to predict what you are looking for. FT search is exactly the opposite. You cannot find what you are looking for in a simple search. You use an advanced search to try to get closer. I haven't seen it yet where Google doesn't actually include the word when you put it in quotes. On FT search you can search "by post" and it'll pop up a result that doesn't actually have the word you searched for in the post. Because it is in the wiki.
Old Yesterday, 11:54 am
Administrator

Actually it absolutely doesn't work like Google. Google doesn't include all your search terms, it tries to predict what you are looking for. FT search is exactly the opposite. You cannot find what you are looking for in a simple search. You use an advanced search to try to get closer. I haven't seen it yet where Google doesn't actually include the word when you put it in quotes. On FT search you can search "by post" and it'll pop up a result that doesn't actually have the word you searched for in the post. Because it is in the wiki.
The Wiki is a type of post. That's why it's called a "wikipost". It works on BB Code, not Wiki Markup. It's just publicly editable, compared to an individual's post.
Old Yesterday, 11:59 am

The Wiki is a type of post. That's why it's called a "wikipost". It works on BB Code, not Wiki Markup. It's just publicly editable, compared to an individual's post.
I understand you are saying technically it is hard. But the Wiki is not an individual's post. As in, every single post should not include the wiki. It just doesn't make sense. If so, searching "by post" doesn't work when a thread has a wiki, because you cannot actually find what an individual posts if the terms are in the wiki, the results will return literally every post. It does make sense if you are searching and want the results "by thread".

Search this Thread
Search Engine: