New FT features 27 Mar 2017 for logged in users not using ad blockers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Disable email notifications of quoting:

My FlyerTalk > User Tagging (way at the bottom of the left-hand side navbar) > Settings > Hide Quote Alerts

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usertag.php?do=profile&action=options

Prevent others from "follow"ing you

My FlyerTalk > Edit Options > Login & Privacy > Don't allow other users to follow me

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions
Print Wikipost

New FT features 27 Mar 2017 for logged in users not using ad blockers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:11 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by IBobi
We won't be leaving FT's features static.
I don't think anyone's advocating that.

The only way to allow users to see what these new features are like is to turn them on.
False. You can also post announcements with screenshots or sample videos and let people decide if they want the new feature or not.

If TPTB are worried a feature will not get enough uptake unless it is forced on people (opt-out instead of opt-in), that may suggest the feature is not compelling enough to cause users to want it.

If TPTB are worried about having engineers waste time on a feature that is not compelling enough to cause users to want it, they could do some UX research, use the results of user surveys, address bugs and user stories that people have raised in the tech support forum, ...

Not saying IB has to, or even should do any of this -- after all if I don't like it I'm entitled to a full refund of my $0 -- so long as it's acknowledged that they could.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:17 pm
No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Zorak
I don't think anyone's advocating that.

False. You can also post announcements with screenshots or sample videos and let people decide if they want the new feature or not.

If TPTB are worried a feature will not get enough uptake unless it is forced on people (opt-out instead of opt-in), that may suggest the feature is not compelling enough to cause users to want it.

If TPTB are worried about having engineers waste time on a feature that is not compelling enough to cause users to want it, they could do some UX research, use the results of user surveys, address bugs and user stories that people have raised in the tech support forum, ...

Not saying IB has to, or even should do any of this -- after all if I don't like it I'm entitled to a full refund of my $0 -- so long as it's acknowledged that they could.
Thank you for your thoughts.

In this case -- I am not arguing all recent cases -- the only thing people were "opted into" was a feature we did not even plan on including, so we were unable to set it to "opt in." It is now set to opt in. Simple oversight.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:32 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Quote notifications are now OPT-IN -- see above!

Here's how to turn them ON:

Go to MyFlyerTalk
Go to USER TAGGING
Go to SETTINGS
Go to:
Quote Restriction (to only be alerted when someone on your friends list quotes you)
Quote Alerts (to never be alerted when you're quoted)
Quote emails (Check this box if you wish to receive an email whenever you are quoted in a post)

SAVE CHANGES
I don't have the "Quote emails (Check this box if you wish to receive an email whenever you are quoted in a post)" option.

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
It is not opt-in, it is opt-out. I had to go to the settings to check a box to stop emails and such. That is opt-out. All those boxes should be pre-checked... and if I (or someone) wants in - they should have to un check.
I have the same. Only the option to opt out (which I'm fine with because my posts aren't that popular!).
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How do you turn off the ability of others to follow you?
MyFlyerTalk
Edit Options
Login & Privacy
Disable Follow User

Check the box and click SAVE CHANGES.
Added a missing step (bolded). Also started a Wiki.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Not sure if this is related to the update... but if you go to myfltertalk>your profile>profile privacy you can change the settings and save, but if you click on profile privacy again, its all reset to 'everyone'
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rylan
Not sure if this is related to the update... but if you go to myfltertalk>your profile>profile privacy you can change the settings and save, but if you click on profile privacy again, its all reset to 'everyone'
In all likelihood that's a browser cache issue. Try clearing your cache and I will bet it shows that what you selected was done, but it's just not displaying live.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Duke787
I wish some development focus would go to stopping the incessant spam advertising that pops up on the mobile site at least 2-3 times a day instead of rolling out features with little value-add
Forum staff: are you going to reply to this members excellent point or just ignore the issue as per usual?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schwann
Forum staff: are you going to reply to this members excellent point or just ignore the issue as per usual?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...-shots-11.html

See this thread for the appropriate place to discuss ad issues -- including admin replies
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Since we have ironed out the lion's share of the issues we experienced rolling out these incredible new features, it's worth mentioning that these are all features that have been requested by members of the FlyerTalk community We hope you use them and have fun!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:34 pm

Since we have ironed out the lion's share of the issues we experienced rolling out these incredible new features, it's worth mentioning that these are all features that have been requested by members of the FlyerTalk community We hope you use them and have fun!
The members that asked for these features can use them just as well if they are opt-in

For example if you would please implement this request I will be happy to go somewhere to check a box to turn it on rather than subjecting everyone to it by default.

I would be curious what the numbers are, for people who have logged in since the feature was rolled out, how many have turned off things like infinite scroll or email quote notifications. The numbers will be biased in favor of the default because not everyone will realize or seek out the tech support forum to find out what controls exist, but might still be illuminating.

Does IB routinely gather such data?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

We do look at number such as those, but they are not the only factors in certain decisions.

In the case of the new features implemented this week, they were all opt in, except for one which was inadvertently added. Read above for more info.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:32 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by canadiancow
The latest FT software update means I get an email whenever anyone quotes me.

When you have ~20k posts, that tends to happen frequently.

Hint: You can turn it off on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usert...action=options (Disable Quote Emails)
Thank you.

I don't need to know when I am quoted.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Just viewing the ads is good for the website (which provides its services for free BTW). And nobody knows they don't want a product that they haven't been shown
And FT members provide nearly all of your content for free BTW!@:-)

If IB is determined to turn the long-running symbiotic relationship into something different by taking an attitude of "we know best and you will take whatever we give you because you owe us"...that would be a shame. FT is not the only game in town these days as far as websites with travel, frequent flyer and loyalty program information and discussion (not to mention private resources) so people do have choices.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 6:10 am

Is there an explanation somewhere for the distinction between Mentions and Tags?

After much reflection, I thought this might just be a subject/object distinction (whom I mention/tag vs. who tags/mentions me). However, the global stats page treats tagged/tags and mentioned/mentions as four separate categories.

Similarly, the User Tagging settings page--which needs a better name, since it covers far more than tagging per se--clearly distinguishes between "Tags from [other] users" and "Mentions from [other] users."

It is entirely possible that I'm just being dense. That being said, FT has a lot of dense users for whom this dichotomy will likely be equally inscrutable.

Also: how does one tag/mention someone whose FT username contains one or more spaces?

Last edited by beltway; Apr 9, 2017 at 7:23 am
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by beltway
Is there an explanation somewhere for the distinction between Mentions and Tags?

After much reflection, I thought this might just be a subject/object distinction (whom I mention/tag vs. who tags/mentions me). However, the global stats page treats tagged/tags and mentioned/mentions as four separate categories.

Similarly, the User Tagging settings page--which needs a better name, since it covers far more than tagging per se--clearly distinguishes between "Tags from [other] users" and "Mentions from [other] users."

It is entirely possible that I'm just being dense. That being said, FT has a lot of dense users for whom this dichotomy will likely be equally inscrutable.

Also: how does one tag/mention someone whose FT username contains one or more spaces?
Bump.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.