New FT features 27 Mar 2017 for logged in users not using ad blockers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Disable email notifications of quoting:

My FlyerTalk > User Tagging (way at the bottom of the left-hand side navbar) > Settings > Hide Quote Alerts

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usertag.php?do=profile&action=options

Prevent others from "follow"ing you

My FlyerTalk > Edit Options > Login & Privacy > Don't allow other users to follow me

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/profile.php?do=editoptions
Print Wikipost

New FT features 27 Mar 2017 for logged in users not using ad blockers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:56 pm
No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
It was the email for quotes. I had done none of those things you describe.
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Someone should tell the system that. My emaol box is flooded with SPAM as far as I'm concerned. Everything a person quotes you, you get another.

BTW real websites don't turn junk like this on with no notice, test their updates before making them live, and finally they listen to their user base.
Apparently that quote notification feature piggybacked its way in on the others -- we didn't know it was there!

So we have turned that feature into an OPT-IN feature, so that you will need to go to your MyFT and turn it ON if you want quote notifications; I will add this to a future announcement.

Thanks for your vigilance!

Paul
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Quote notifications are now OPT-IN -- see above!

Here's how to turn them ON:

Go to MyFlyerTalk
Go to USER TAGGING
Go to SETTINGS
Go to:
Quote Restriction (to only be alerted when someone on your friends list quotes you)
Quote Alerts (to never be alerted when you're quoted)
Quote emails (Check this box if you wish to receive an email whenever you are quoted in a post)

SAVE CHANGES

Last edited by IBobi; Mar 27, 2017 at 5:49 pm
Old Mar 27, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Someone should tell the system that. My emaol box is flooded with SPAM as far as I'm concerned. Everything a person quotes you, you get another.

BTW real websites don't turn junk like this on with no notice, test their updates before making them live, and finally they listen to their user base.
Agreed! Now I'm getting emails! I certainly didn't sign up for this. epic fail!
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by IBobi
You should not be getting alerts when someone quotes you. I'll look into it.
I'm getting "you've been quoted" emails: extremely annoying.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm getting "you've been quoted" emails: extremely annoying.
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Agreed! Now I'm getting emails! I certainly didn't sign up for this. epic fail!
Those will/have stopped.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Who knew there'd be an advantage to not being social media savvy? Haven't had any of the problems others have experienced.

One thing I will say though is that it would behoove IB to do a lot of research/polls/surveys amongst FTers whenever they decide to implement something that will 'enhance' FT. It would help avoid pissing off FTers. However, it's common knowledge that FT does its enhancements for the sake of IB & not FTers.

Cheers.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Who knew there'd be an advantage to not being social media savvy? Haven't had any of the problems others have experienced.

One thing I will say though is that it would behoove IB to do a lot of research/polls/surveys amongst FTers whenever they decide to implement something that will 'enhance' FT. It would help avoid pissing off FTers. However, it's common knowledge that FT does its enhancements for the sake of IB & not FTers.

Cheers.
In this case, it would not have helped.

1. The only part of the tool that was a problem was quote notifications.
2. We did not know they were even there, so even if we asked someone about the tools we implemented, we would not have asked about the tool that ended up being a minor, temporary annoyance.
3. Quote notices are now turned off by default so won't be an issue any longer.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:12 pm

Is the intent to show the pop-up more than once?

I'm getting it every time I switch to a different forum.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: United MP
How do I stop the popup asking me to turn off my ad blocker to get the new features? I don't need it popping up every time I click on something. No, I'm not going to turn off the ad blocker yet.

Edit to add: I see that it only pops up on new forums I haven't visited yet. I guess that is okay.

Last edited by DeafFlyer; Mar 27, 2017 at 7:28 pm Reason: added sentence
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
How do I stop the popup asking me to turn off my ad blocker to get the new features? I don't need it popping up every time I click on something. No, I'm not going to turn off the ad blocker yet.

Edit to add: I see that it only pops up on new forums I haven't visited yet. I guess that is okay.
It shouldn't pop up more then once. Period.

I've had that stupid message shoved at me a good 20 times in the last 15 minutes.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:45 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Is there any way to disable having the system automatically link hashtags? i wanted to use the number sign as a number sign, but FT tried to make it a hashtag. I think a post-by-post disabling, like how we can disable smileys on a post-by-post basis, would be good for this feature if we want to actually use # as a number sign.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Himeno

I've had that stupid message shoved at me a good 20 times in the last 15 minutes.
Pops up on every new page that's loaded for me (even when making this post). What garbage, super annoying.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:26 pm

I'm curious. Do the powers that be at FT sit down and decide what they can change to piss off the most people they can at once because it sure feels that way every time some new "enhancement" is rolled out.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
I'm curious. Do the powers that be at FT sit down and decide what they can change to piss off the most people they can at once because it sure feels that way every time some new "enhancement" is rolled out.
Originally Posted by Himeno

When ever FT has an upgrade/enhancement/additional features (unnecessary unwanted) there is a mad scramble on how to disable/kill them.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:59 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
You have been quoted at FlyerTalk Forums

Received this notification on my email. Could not find a way to turn it off. Any advice?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.