Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"FT Desktop Infinite Scroll" feature for desktop viewing introduced Jan 2017

NOTE: Selecting the Mobile Skin / display format will activate Infinite Scroll.

Opting out of "FT Desktop Infinte Scroll" skin:
Originally Posted by IBobi
How to opt out:

If you opt out, your pagination will revert to the “classic” FT Desktop View skin when you are logged into your FT account. Bear in mind that if you visit FT before logging in, you will see the infinite scroll.

To opt out, you can see this post or just go to

My FlyerTalk->Edit Options->Thread Display Options->“Disable Desktop Infinite Scroll”

Click the check box and click SAVE CHANGES.

If infinite scroll is set to default style and you keep reverting to infinite scroll:
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
... Unfortunately since it's set to be the default style, opting out wont work.

So, with that said, you'll need to go into the "My Options" page and both disable infinite scroll and change your default style/skin to FT Desktop ..also don't forget to save!

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by [B
Spanish[/B];27896638]All you need to do is add "?styleid=17" to the end of any Flyertalk URL.

For those with Greasemonkey, a simple script for you. You no needing to be logged in for this to be effective.

Here you go:

Code:
 // ==UserScript==
 // @name        Flyertalk_Remove_Infinite_Scroll
 // @match       *://*.flyertalk.com/*
 // @run-at      document-start
 // @grant       none
 // ==/UserScript==

var oldUrlPath  = window.location.pathname;

/*--- Test that "?styleid=17" is at end of URL, excepting any "hashes"
 or searches.
 */
 if (window.location.href.toString().indexOf("?styleid=17") != -1) return false;
 if ( ! /\?styleid=17$/.test (oldUrlPath) ) {

var newURL  = window.location.protocol + "//"
 + window.location.host
 + oldUrlPath + "?styleid=17"
 + window.location.search
 + window.location.hash
 ;
 /*-- replace() puts the good page in the history instead of the
 bad page.
 */
 window.location.replace (newURL);
 }
Print Wikipost

Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
When this feature was available I was using Chrome on a Windows machine (not mobile) and the back button would fill up with Page 3, Page 4, Page 5, etc as I infinite scrolled.

I would also HIGHLY recommend that any future rollout of such a feature be OPT IN.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MADPhil
See post #96
I hadn't realized that there was infinite scroll in addition to floating the bar. That makes my suggestion rather meaningless, as there is no real "top" and "bottom" anymore.

If you end up turning off infinite scroll, though, it's a compromise you might want to consider.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Anything floating will be distracting.
Extremely distracting. And irritating.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
For some reason, my opting out of infinite scroll reverted back to opt in overnight.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Mary2e
For some reason, my opting out of infinite scroll reverted back to opt in overnight.
They just reintroduced the feature, so it makes sense that it would have reverted, go back into settings and check disable infinite scroll and save it. It should then be taken care of.

Personally, I don't find it very distracting. Just glitchy, especially at the bottom of the page.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I already did disable it again. Thanks.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I already did disable it again. Thanks.
Yeah, but they ignore your preferences for certain forums. It even says so in the setting. It shows low respect to their membership when I've clearly set a preference, but some forums (like the TSS subforums) ignore that preference and display infinite scroll anyway.

If you're going to allow the opt-out, make it universal, no exemptions.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:55 am
soy

Programs: various
I HATE infinite scroll. I rarely go to the trouble to complain, but this feature drove me to seek out this thread.
At least there seems to be an opt-out, but seriously who is looking for this? I can only imagine it is driven by the advertising side somehow
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by RandomNobody
Yeah, but they ignore your preferences for certain forums. It even says so in the setting. It shows low respect to their membership when I've clearly set a preference, but some forums (like the TSS subforums) ignore that preference and display infinite scroll anyway.

In the options checkbox to disable desktop auto-scroll I don't see anything that states it's left enabled on some forums. But I may well have missed it. Where are you seeing this?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
It works poorly in low bandwidth environments, such as most Hotel's free wifi - you device freezes while loading more - disable, disable, disable.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:52 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by RandomNobody

Originally Posted by 84fiero
In the options checkbox to disable desktop auto-scroll I don't see anything that states it's left enabled on some forums. But I may well have missed it. Where are you seeing this?
Yeah, I don't see that either. Far as I know, if you opt out, you're out.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
There are two places for infinite scroll. The one for the infinite scroll/normal skin says:

There is more than one skin in which you can view the forums. If you would like to switch to a different skin, select it from this list.

Please note that some forums here may override your skin choice temporarily.
I do now see that the second infinite scroll, non-skin one is sticking opt-out, properly.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by soy
I HATE infinite scroll. I rarely go to the trouble to complain, but this feature drove me to seek out this thread.
At least there seems to be an opt-out, but seriously who is looking for this? I can only imagine it is driven by the advertising side somehow
There seems to be a universal push to "refresh" every website with annoying javascript.
I suspect (1) this allows backdoors for more data mining; and (2) guarantees eternal employment for the IT folks.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:32 am

Here's a new one. I have infinite scroll disabled but now it pops up regardless. Seriously - this is the worst implementation of anything on this website to date.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Here's a new one. I have infinite scroll disabled but now it pops up regardless. Seriously - this is the worst implementation of anything on this website to date.
Same here. I have it disabled (from the first time) but "infinite scroll" bar/function still appears.
Also, when I change it from the drop menu on the bottom page bar and then move to the next page of a thread, the bar/function pops up again in the new page.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.