Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Report spam issues here (older posts)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Report spam issues here (older posts)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by nux
This is still happening quite frequently, and has been for the past few months. <snip>

It is almost always a link to the same website (lifeh...) preceded by a section of text from a previous poster in the thread. The spammer always makes 6 posts.
Riiiiight, I've noticed this exact same spammer who never gives up and keeps coming back. This spammer/mob doesn't always make it to the 6th post though. When I spot it, I'll always RBP it so MODs can get to it before the post count reaches more than 5.

Originally Posted by nux
Should be simple to flag/block links to that website?
If so, we wouldn't be seeing the same spammer over and over again, would we?

I thought it would have been quite easy for the tech department to just flag any post with this particular jpg link and stop this spammer from the get-go. Apparently not.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:57 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by lin821
I thought it would have been quite easy for the tech department to just flag any post with this particular jpg link and stop this spammer from the get-go. Apparently not.
I don't know all of the ins and outs, but I know that there could be MANY different copies of the same image, each with a different name or URL. So blocking one particular jpg doesn't solve the problem, unfortunately.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:11 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by lo2e
I don't know all of the ins and outs, but I know that there could be MANY different copies of the same image, each with a different name or URL. So blocking one particular jpg doesn't solve the problem, unfortunately.
As I said, the domain name hasn't change and seems unique enough to block outright.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:14 am

Yes, spammers come in different forms, shapes and languages, but...

Originally Posted by lo2e
I know that there could be MANY different copies of the same image, each with a different name or URL. So blocking one particular jpg doesn't solve the problem, unfortunately.
This particular spammer nux and I were referring to always uses the same hyperlink at the end of every post to the same jpg with no exception.

That's why I wondered how difficult it is for the IT folks to flag a specific hyperlink spam so the system can automatically squash the posts and that specific poster.

Last edited by lin821; Sep 25, 2014 at 3:33 pm Reason: typo
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Would this lead to whack-a-mole cycles with the spammer switching to a new jpg for the same image every time FT detects the spam?
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:58 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Tech would like to see an example of that JPG invocation or something else to see a pattern. PM me or re-post here if you see it, thank you.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 1:17 pm

Tech has the jpg now (thanks to nux) and is going to try to blacklist it.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Would this lead to whack-a-mole cycles with the spammer switching to a new jpg for the same image every time FT detects the spam?
That's a valid concern and it just happened today with this non-stop spammer who used a makeup link, tw.gs/X6xbfy. However, he would always redirect those fake links back to its very source, aka the same (un)health site/jpg. Unless he also keeps renaming his site, the site would always carry the same name.

I guess the question is how equipped is IB to unroot those spam posts with fake links. Is it an impossible mission? I sincerely hope not.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:53 pm

IP address banned. Not sure there is a good keyword that's bannable at this point.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi
IP address banned. Not sure there is a good keyword that's bannable at this point.
Maybe banning one IP address is not enough.

MOD had kindly shared with me that this annoying spammer "uses an anonymous proxy, posting from multiple IPs across user names AND within each user name." So apparently this spammer is quite "skillful." I am not a tech person but I hope IB Tech Dept can come up with a good solution.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:26 pm
No longer at FT -- contact IBJoel please

The best method is to keep track of these spammers, and report them so that they can be immediately banned. Because of their use of an anonymous proxy, it is not a simple task to track down the multiple IP addresses.

Maybe banning one IP address is not enough.

MOD had kindly shared with me that this annoying spammer "uses an anonymous proxy, posting from multiple IPs across user names AND within each user name." So apparently this spammer is quite "skillful." I am not a tech person but I hope IB Tech Dept can come up with a good solution.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by IBgkim
The best method is to keep track of these spammers, and report them so that they can be immediately banned.
Just spotted and reported another one with a different jpg link today.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:08 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
The cat and mouse game continues: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/members/yjkfakbarin.html

Seems to be the same jpg link as on Oct 11.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 4:28 pm
No longer at FT -- contact IBJoel please

Thank you for taking care of it! ^

Old Oct 14, 2014, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by nux
The cat and mouse game continues: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/members/yjkfakbarin.html

Seems to be the same jpg link as on Oct 11.
I think this spammer must be an Arnold Schwarzenegger fan, "I'll be back", and just returned once again.

I guess spammers are all "Die Hard" fans as well.

ps. yes, I reported it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.