Search

Flyer Talk has been loading really slowly

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2003, 10:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Flyer Talk has been loading really slowly

FlyerTalk has been loading really slowly for me on my home DSL these past few days. It is the only site that is loading slowly. Any ideas?

It is ok on my office DSL.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 11:05 am

If the site loads fine for you at work, but not at home then it has something to do with your home connection -- possibly routing issues since you say that other sites work OK for you.

There's not much that we can do about that.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 6:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
This just started happening this weekend. Were any changes made?
Old Jun 4, 2003, 9:54 am
dan at WebFlyer

No changes made... it seems to be running smoothly at this end.

Old Jun 8, 2003, 3:21 pm
RS

Programs: American Airlines Platinum Pro
I agree with Punki. Only one (a desktop Dell XP that is mine, unfortunately) of five of my home computers on a networked DSL connection is running Flyertalk at unusably slow speeds. The site loads at almost normal speed but clicking through the site is at least 20-40 times slower than my other connections. This started on or about May 29.

It IS ONLY Flyertalk and not other sites. Get this:

I have removed all Windows XP updates since mid-May. I have uninstalled all programs added since May 1. I have done system restores. I have deleted all temporary files, all cookies, etc. No help.

We did virus scans and then reinstalled the recent XP updates. No improvement.

The Flyertalk site is unusable from my usual computer. I am writing this from a laptop plugged into the same hub as my Dell desktop because the deskstop computer is useless on Flyertalk but ok in ALL OTHER respects.

[This message has been edited by RS (edited 06-09-2003).]
Old Jun 8, 2003, 8:09 pm
RS

I may be on to something. My "slow" computer opens without the animated ads at the top and bottom. I must have changed something that handles them or they are different now.

This is probably why some FT pages without ads open fast and those with the ads crawl. Help! My computer's life may depend on this.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Punki .. thought it was just me.

Agree 100%.

I am using same computer I always use.

Nothing new added or adjusted John.

Have time to go to other websites open in windows at same time which are fine, so it seems 100% SPECIFIC to FT??
Old Jun 9, 2003, 11:20 am
dan at WebFlyer

What forums do you notice these slow downs in? Is it only in Miles, only in Airports, etc?

Old Jun 9, 2003, 8:03 pm
RS

I have the same slow loading problem with webflyer.com

I think it is the banner ads. Does anyone else have the ads missing when it finally loads?
Old Jun 10, 2003, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dan at WebFlyer:

What forums do you notice these slow downs in? Is it only in Miles, only in Airports, etc?</font>
I seldom venture over to FT Travel, so can't comment, but seems that all forums I visit on FT Miles are a lot slower than usual.

I just made a post to community that took about 90 seconds to post .... just "hung" there waiting to load up.

Old Jun 10, 2003, 10:56 am
dan at WebFlyer

I've got an email in to our ad company to see if they know anything about slow ad servers.

UPDATE: Do any of you have ad-blocking software installed, or have you installed any browser-based software recently?

[This message has been edited by dan at WebFlyer (edited 06-10-2003).]

Old Jun 10, 2003, 10:57 pm
RS

I don't believe I have any ad blocking software. I use nytimes.com extensively with all its ads and no problem there. I did do some Windows updates approx May 29.
Old Jun 13, 2003, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dan .. I am far too techno dopey to install any such software.

HOWEVER, Otto Graham seems to have nailed the culprit -- the black and gold USA Drugs banners that have a "Parents take this pop quiz" message that seems designed to run ENTIRE durn quiz before page loads.

More info here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum97/HTML/000750.html

------------------
~ Glen ~

Come visit HERE the most ** FRIENDLY FORUM ** on FlyerTalk. No flame wars, no personal abuse, no substance abuse. Not much of anything really!
Old Jun 18, 2003, 11:31 pm
RS

My primary computer at home took forever (10-20 times slower than normal per page load) to load flyertalk pages and when they loaded the banners were missing.

I just wiped out my entire hard disk and reloaded XP and all my programs and voila, flyertalk is back, fast and with the banner ads.

I really think something goofy is going on with the banner ads that my computer couldn't handle!
Old Jun 19, 2003, 10:35 am
dan at WebFlyer

It could have been those huge ads that ozstamps pointed out. Now that they're off the site, things should be a little speedier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.