Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyer Talk has been loading really slowly

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2003, 6:06 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
ft travel wouldn't load for me and individual fora are very slow this afternoon....
Old Jun 24, 2003, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Thanks againb for yanking those massive DrugAmerica banners off so quickly Dan, with the flash and macromedia "sticky" tactics. The current "Engine 54" banners are of normal size and do not slow things down at all for me anyway.

They were each 20 times the file size of the current ones. I personally have seen a far speedier and much more user friendly FT since you did that a week or so back.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Site seems quite slow today.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is slow for since this am.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 5:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
These ads are SOOOO annoying. I'm going to have to find a good ad blocker. The ads have really gotten intrusive here.

- FLASH-enhanced ads
- popup ads
- banner ads on the page where the thread reloads after posting
Old Aug 13, 2003, 11:56 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Agree with all here -- the ads are slowing the loading of the pages down SIGNIFICANTLY. But this only seems to be a problem from work. When I take my laptop home and plug it into my Adelphia connection, Flyertalk zips and zooms like normal!

Sometimes at work it takes LITERALLY 5-10 minutes for, say, the MilesBuzz, United, SPAM, or Mileage Run page to load. In IE, it displays the top half of the screen (up to the Flyertalk Miles logo) and then just sits and sits and sits... after 5 minutes or so it displays the rest of the page, and the ad to the left is just a gray box. Then I click the topic I want and have to wait another 5-10 minutes for THAT to load... What an ordeal!

On a whim, I fired up Netscape today and got the same results. However, as it sits, in the status bar it says, "Connect: Host a.tribalfusion.com contact. Waiting for reply..."

Between the "gray box" in IE after 5 minutes, and the minutes of hanging in Netscape with the tribalfusion indicator -- it's pretty clear the ads are the source of the slowdown. But why only at work? Why not at home?? Is there anyway to disable the ads while at work?

NOTE: It has not always been like this. Used to have GREAT connections at work just like at home. All this started a month or two ago. (We have made no hardware changes at work.)

------------------
"There are those who travel, and those who travel well."
Old Aug 16, 2003, 9:55 am

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
FT takes a long time to load on my home desktop (through cable modem) but really fast on my laptop when I run through the same connection. My desktop is a much more powerful computer so this is puzzling.

Any ideas on what kind of settings might be doing this?

Both computers on W2K.
Old Aug 16, 2003, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Honestly haven't had any performance issues lately... at work I've got a T1 and at home cable. In both places I'm using a laptop w/ P4 2Mhz (at least I think that's what it is).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.