Reload this Page >

Page boundary errors. E.g. Clicking on "last" page brings next to last page

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Page boundary errors. E.g. Clicking on "last" page brings next to last page

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2013, 3:42 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by IBobi
My concern is, why is it not appearing for all users?
Not everyone reports FT technical glitches in our Technical Issues Forum.

There are really only two possibilities: browser issue or cookie. Both are local to the user.
It's not the 1st time you guys point fingers to local users when problems are clearly not local (& our tech-savvy fellow FTer even proved to you why & how).

Have I mentioned Phantom Page is an age-old issue? Yes, I did. I guess the few times FT had to rebuild from (data/server) corruption in between didn't make identify out-of-sync post/thread/page indexes any easier either.

... why is it not appearing for all users? Or even for all users on the same browser and version, with the same pagination settings, who are viewing the same thread?
Are you 100% positively sure the same problem thread doesn't show the same layout to those with same pagination/browser/...etc?

Has your IT Dept dug into the post/page indexes to confirm everything is definitely in sync yet? If so, why would a thread with only 1039 posts produce a Page 53 untimely when pagination was set to 20 posts? (FWIW, you won't be able to see the "problem" now because there are currently 1043 posts in said thread.)

Don't get me wrong. Having known it since 2007, I get Phantom Page is a much harder problem to crack (than the page format one). I don't envy the job IB IT has to do this time. But one thing I am certain, this isn't a local issue.

Last edited by lin821; Mar 27, 2013 at 3:24 pm Reason: adding the last paragraph
Old Mar 27, 2013, 1:22 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
These threads were "rebuilt" overnight -- can you let us know if you see a change?
Old Mar 27, 2013, 4:25 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
These threads were "rebuilt" overnight -- can you let us know if you see a change?
The thread I mentioned appears to be fixed ^
Old Mar 30, 2013, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Work in progress.
It seems to have reappeared.

Citi AA: 50k, plus other offers as they appear. [Read post #1 & follow links first]

I see a phantom page 391.
Currently the last post is #5849 on page 390.

P.S- What are "pagination" settings and how does one access them?
Old Mar 30, 2013, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

I see it now on
Applying for Chase Credit Cards [Consolidated]

I see a phantom page 68. Currently the last post is #1005 on page 67.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 7:23 am

So I take out my calculator and punch some numbers....
Originally Posted by jatink129
It seems to have reappeared.

Citi AA: 50k, plus other offers as they appear. [Read post #1 & follow links first]

I see a phantom page 391.
Currently the last post is #5849 on page 390.
For a setting of 15 posts per page, if there's no post#5851, there shouldn't be Page 391.

Originally Posted by jatink129
I see it now on
Applying for Chase Credit Cards [Consolidated]

I see a phantom page 68. Currently the last post is #1005 on page 67.
In this case, Page 67 should only start with post#1006.

I guess both threads are still out of sync.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 10:53 am

Do you log in when reading messages?

I have this issue at another forum, but I do not log in there and here I always log in, so that is different.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I always log in. It is happening for me in this thread now:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...013-a-163.html

Last page shows as 164.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Bobster
Do you log in when reading messages?
It's not a login issue, so login or not shouldn't make any different as far as "phantom page phenomenon" is concerned.

FWIW, I see the same problem with and without login.

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I always log in. It is happening for me in this thread now:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...013-a-163.html

Last page shows as 164.
15 (posts)* 163 (page) = 2445

The last post I am reading now is #2422 by jackal, meaning Phantom Page 164 is 4 posts too early (aka not until #2446) for said thread.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:20 pm

So you must have "Use Forum Default" as the number of posts per page.

I use 40 as the number of posts per page. I never see this problem.

Why not try changing the posts per page to fix the problem?

On that thread you complain about, it indicates 64 pages and I can view the last page fine.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

On that thread you complain about, it indicates 64 pages and I can view the last page fine.

Maybe it's just me...but I find having to scroll and scroll and scroll to get to the bottom of the 40 posts/page, to be a PITA.

So I've just left it at default, which is something I'm used to...and rather than having to change our settings, the programmers should fix the problem. Ofcourse, on the grand scale of things, this problem is minuscule. But I'd still like to get it fixed.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 9:31 pm

Why not try 20 per page then?

Based on my experience with the other forum, it might simply be leaving it at default that causes the problem, as opposed to any other setting.

Also based on my experience at the other forum, this is an issue that has existed for a long time without being fixed, so finding a workaround yourself might solve it faster than waiting for someone else to fix it.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:04 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
And here's another one..... lists 38 pages but clicking on page 38 returns to page 37

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...update-37.html
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:25 am

Have you read beltway's posts? He's not on "Use Forum Default" and he does encounter this problem with more than one thread he followed.

Because pagination is not the root of the problem, changing it won't fix the problem.

Your normal view is because there are enough posts to fill the pages by the time you visit said thread. When the "phantom threshold" is reached, the problem will be "masked" until the next cycle.

Why not try 20 per page then?
It doesn't work, at least not for beltway, so 20 is not the answer either.

Also based on my experience at the other forum, this is an issue that has existed for a long time without being fixed...
No argument for the above statement since I've reported this problem to admin since 2007 on FT. No need to go to other websites and compare their issues since on FT, we got plenty of examples ourselves.

so finding a workaround yourself might solve it faster than waiting for someone else to fix it.
When the issues are from the "blackholes" or whatever is out of sync in the system, I doubt the users can fix it for the system or admin. At least changing the pagination on FT isn't the solution. Users just "float" the phantom pages on different post/page schedule, i.e. moving from every 15s to 20s or 40s (posts). The problem is still there.

Since it's not happening to every thread on FT (yes another grand mystery that stumps all of us), maybe you just haven't laid eyes on the "right" problem threads? I don't doubt with pagination of 40, you are supposed to see it less frequently (close to less than 1/3) than those of us on forum default of 15.

What about a challenge with the math with regard to post/page indexes I've been doing? And let's just use one of beltway's example threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...5k-benies.html

Currently, that thread has 2942 posts:

40 (post) * 74 (page) = 2960

In your 40 posts per page, you should only see Page 74 right now. Not until Post #2961 is made, you shouldn't be seeing Page 75.

I bet you will see the same phantom page, aka Page 75, in said thread when either Post #2959 or #2960 is made. I don't know when someone will make post#2959 or #2960. As long as admin hasn't fixed the phantom page problem, you definitely will see Page 75 before it's time. Just keep an eye on that thread and report back your experience, deal?

Last edited by lin821; Apr 2, 2013 at 10:39 am Reason: clarification
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by goalie
And here's another one..... lists 38 pages but clicking on page 38 returns to page 37

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...update-37.html
That thread has 1475 posts right now. So there shouldn't be page 38 (a.k.a. not until post#1481), assuming you're on pagination of 40:

40 (post) * 37 (page)= 1480

Phantom Page 38 has been generated (at least) 6 posts too early for the above thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.