Wiki Posts
Search

Page boundary errors. E.g. Clicking on "last" page brings next to last page

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2013, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Work in progress.
Page boundary errors. E.g. Clicking on "last" page brings next to last page

A little OT here, but is it just me or do you guys also ALWAYS see an additional page number that upon clicking brings you to the second last page?

Edit: My post is now on the 68th page...but earlier the 68th page was just an empty click. And I see this very often on a lot of threads...so I was wondering if there was something wrong with my browser.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Yes, that happens to me (but not right now curiously) - you'd click on the "next" page and reread what you had just read. You showed up as the first post on the very last page.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jatink129
A little OT here, but is it just me or do you guys also ALWAYS see an additional page number that upon clicking brings you to the second last page?

Edit: My post is now on the 68th page...but earlier the 68th page was just an empty click. And I see this very often on a lot of threads...so I was wondering if there was something wrong with my browser.
Happened to my viewing very frequently, almost 80% of the time. In every forum it does that.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci

It happens to me too. I think it occurs when a post is hidden either by moderators or automatically (because they're a new user) and if it were displayed, it would make the new page.

A bug, in other words.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Yes, that happens to me (but not right now curiously) - you'd click on the "next" page and reread what you had just read. You showed up as the first post on the very last page.
Originally Posted by Happy
Happened to my viewing very frequently, almost 80% of the time. In every forum it does that.
Originally Posted by stifle
It happens to me too. I think it occurs when a post is hidden either by moderators or automatically (because they're a new user) and if it were displayed, it would make the new page.

A bug, in other words.
Aaah...Okay! So it's not me.
Thanks you guys!
Old Mar 19, 2013, 8:26 pm

Chronic problem with page-boundary errors

For several weeks now I've noticed a continuing problem across various forums:

If I am on the next-to-last page of a thread – say, page 88 of an 89-page thread – and I click the link to go to the last page, instead the current page is redisplayed and I am taken to the top. In these circumstances, it is impossible to get to the supposedly last page of the thread.

Interestingly, this redisplay resets the new-message flag such that the thread no longer shows up in my unread-threads list. Another symptom of the problem is that when new messages are eventually posted, and the thread reappears in my unread-threads list, clicking the "First unread post" link causes me to skip over one or more posts that I've not previously seen.

Other users have reported observing this same anomaly, so it's not related to my individual account browser or other local setting. (See, for example, this post and replies to it discussing the problem in that same thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20447533-post1006.html.) There is reasonable speculation that the problem may be related to moderator deletion/merging of posts and the resulting renumbering/reindexing.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:07 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
It's so hard to beat phantom pages on FT....

Originally Posted by beltway
For several weeks now I've noticed a continuing problem across various forums...
(underline mine)

"Phantom page" has been a known issue for several years since 2008, not just weeks.

See previous discussion threads:

From 2010:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...page-21-a.html

From 2008:
- in Oct'08: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...-4th-page.html

- in Feb'08: Phantom Pages discussed in the Search Problems master thread

Something is out-of-sync for whatever reasons. I haven't noticed IB provided any update for the final fix, IIRC.

God bless FT.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:07 pm
Pup

Pretty much. There are also some days, maybe one in four or five, where the page automatically refreshes itself constantly, making reading impossible. No other threads are like that and it's back to normal when I come back in the next day or so.

Edited to add: this was originally in the thread about the change in Hilton HHonors points. That's the only thread where I've noticed the refreshing problem, though I don't go to a while lot of different threads.

Last edited by Pup; Mar 20, 2013 at 1:52 pm
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:59 pm

... My post is now on the 68th page...but earlier the 68th page was just an empty click. And I see this very often on a lot of threads...so I was wondering if there was something wrong with my browser.
Nothing's wrong with your browser but something has been wrong with FT for years.

Here's one discussion thread reporting the problem from 2010:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...messed-up.html

And what are the chances another fellow FTers started a thread with the same problem on the same day as you?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...ry-errors.html

Last edited by lin821; Mar 20, 2013 at 2:07 pm Reason: correction
Old Mar 20, 2013, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lin821
Nothing's wrong with your browser but something has been wrong with FT for years.

Here's one discussion thread reporting the problem from 2010:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...messed-up.html

And what is the chances another fellow FTers started a thread with the same problem on the same day as you?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...ry-errors.html
What are the chances indeed!
Though I just posted inside a thread, seems like the powers that be decided that it worthy of a separate thread (or probably, they wanted to reduce clutter )
Old Mar 21, 2013, 4:18 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by stifle

A bug, in other words.
Well, its not a bug, but a feature

Yes, you're on the right track there... if there is a post that is hidden (for a plethora of reasons), the page count goes out of whack for public users.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by lin821
"Phantom page" has been a known issue for several years since 2008, not just weeks.
Interesting. I'm a regular user, but had never encountered the bug in question until this year.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by beltway
Interesting. I'm a regular user, but had never encountered the bug in question until this year.
Lucky you.

I am a FT addict myself and have encountered and observed this "phantom pages phenomenon" on and off since 2008. Like I had pointed out up thread, in this 2010 thread alone, phantom pages had been spotted in 5 different fora. And according to this current thread, this issue is still unresolved as of today.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:36 am
Administrator

Programs: SPG
Unfortunately, it is quite common for a large forum to have this issue from time to time. I believe at this time the issue should be resolved - can you please advise if the issue still exists and provide a URL for that thread in question?

Thank you
Old Mar 21, 2013, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IBxAnders
Unfortunately, it is quite common for a large forum to have this issue from time to time. I believe at this time the issue should be resolved - can you please advise if the issue still exists and provide a URL for that thread in question?

Thank you
So far so good. I checked about 4-5 threads where this issue was most prominent, and so far everything looks good.

Thanks!^^

Edit: Jinxed it. This thread has it again. By the time you see it, it'll be gone because the posts will overflow to the 68th page, but right now, it shows a non-existent 68th page.

Last edited by jatink129; Mar 21, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.