FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Page boundary errors. E.g. Clicking on "last" page brings next to last page
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:21 am
lin821

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by IBobi
If you're reporting this glitch, can you list:

1. Your browser type and version
2. Your "posts per page" setting
3. Steps to reproduce the error/phantom page?

We simply are not seeing this happen on our end, so we'd need more info if we're to investigate further.
I think you are barking at the wrong tree. It has nothing to do with browsers. It's the page index out of sync or whatever you IT people call it.

Can you do math in the following example provide by beltway?

1040= 20 (posts/per page) X 52 (page), when posts/pages are correctly indexed

Originally Posted by beltway
As stated above, I have pagination set to 20 posts.

Steps? Visit the pages linked to above — such as http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...needed-52.html, page 52 for me — and observe & try to click on the next-page link. Just now reconfirmed the problem for thread in previous sentence.
Currently the last post is post#1039, meaning Page 52 shouldn't be completely filled until the real (visible) Post#1040 is made. Since there's no post#1041 yet, Page 53 shouldn't "appear" or be indexed until post#1041 is made.

However, beltway has been seeing Phantom Page 53 since post#1038 (judging by the timestamp). So the Phantom Page for this referenced thread has been "triggered" at least 4 posts prematurely.

I assume this thread has been moderated and there had been no fewer than 4 posts deleted in said thread. However, the system's post indexes somehow fail to sync correctly, thus Phantom Page 53 is introduced. But there haven't been enough posts to actually reach beyond Page 52, so for regular posters like us we start seeing non-existing Page 53 (indexed). I believe all the problem threads cited in this thread all have "Phantom Page Phenomenon" due to this out-of-sync indexing. Just perform a calculation on the post/page math of all those threads. If the numbers don't add up (to initial a newer page), Phantom Pages shall be their destiny.

I used to monitor a thread that would produced its phantom page like 13 posts too early. Admin couldn't figure out how to get it fixed back in 2007 either.

Why doesn't it happen to all the threads that have been moderated with deleted and/or globally masked posts/posters on FT? I have not a single clue. Do you, admin?