Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trouble logging in with Facebook connect

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2011, 3:27 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by MichaelEl2
How do you propose we report such a problem when we can't access FT?

^

I'd have thought the second handle would be the most appropriate way to report such issues (as we have done) even if, in this case violates rules. When it goes back to normal my second handle will/can be deleted.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
How do you propose we report such a problem when we can't access FT?
Originally Posted by arh2
I'd have thought the second handle would be the most appropriate way to report such issues (as we have done) even if, in this case violates rules.
Are you aware there's a "Contact Us" link at the bottom panel of every FT page that doesn't require a login?

Like I said, I just don't think TOS violation is the right way to conduct business on FT. YMMV.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lin821
the glitch, if any.
Excuse me?! Right... so most likely it's all our own fault and we just simultaneously decided to stop being able to log in on 11/23 out of sheer stupidity.

I'm glad everything appears to be working fine for you, but if you can't take our reports at face value and put yourself in our shoes, please refrain from adding insult to injury and limit your contributions to useful input - if any - in regard to the problem at hand. Thank you.

FWIW, it's not like we're being deceptive here and are using our new handles to hide our true identities, (which, persumeably, would be the primary reason to prohibit multiple accounts). We made it very clear who we are and why we are doing this. Had we not done this and started a thread, we wouldn't even know who else is affected - if any.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 8:39 pm

Are you aware there's a "Contact Us" link at the bottom panel of every FT page that doesn't require a login?

Like I said, I just don't think TOS violation is the right way to conduct business on FT. YMMV.
It's this type of pompousness that has caused many to defect to other FF forums. I, for one, have learned a lot about travel related issues from others here on FT. FT is a place I hope to hang my virtual hat for as long as I have a traveling job.

Please give me/us a break.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by Heathcliff2
Excuse me?! Right... so most likely it's all our own fault and we just simultaneously decided to stop being able to log in on 11/23 out of sheer stupidity.
It's this type of pompousness that has caused many to defect to other FF forums.
Would you guys cool down? I had only pointed out 4 facts:

1. Your frustration for not able to log in via Facebook Connect.

2. Multiple handles are TOS violation.

3. There is more than one way to contact admin without creating dupe handles and/or log-in.

4. It's Thanksgiving holidays in the U.S., where IB is based.

Please don't shoot the messenger.

...Had we not done this and started a thread, we wouldn't even know who else is affected - if any.
FWIW, FT has been around since the 20th century. When IB first introduced Facebook Connect back in spring 2010, there were quite a bit of discussion among and reaction from FTers. Some liked it, while some didn't/don't. Chances are you won't be the only "small" group who encounter and report this problem if this is a system-wide issue. From what I know, savvy FTers are not shy reporting problems and voicing our displeasure. This thread is an example.

If you have time, you are more than welcome to dig in the previous discussion threads:

Facebook Connect FAQ

The Consolidated "Tech problems after IB's Facebook Connect implementation" thread
Old Nov 28, 2011, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Shooting match - bring it on!

1. Your frustration for not able to log in via Facebook Connect.
I know you're only trying to help and it's very kind of you to point out our frustration, but we're very well aware of it ourselves, thank you very much.

2. Multiple handles are TOS violation.
So if your tyre went flat while driving you'd stop immediately rather than attempting to pull into the hard shoulder, since, obviously, driving with a flat tyre would constitute a clear violation of traffic rules in most jurisdictions. Let's all just be pragmatic here, shall we? Desperate times call for desperate measures - and desperate we are, as you so observantly noted in 1.!

3. There is more than one way to contact admin without creating dupe handles and/or log-in.
You have thus far only mentioned one way to report a problem, though I'd be happy to know more that

a) bring it to the attention of the relevant admins as well as the FT community at large,

b) enable us (i.e. those affected and those who might be able to actually help - general members and admins alike) to engage in an open discussion.

Incidentally, according to the FAQ (yes, I had in fact done a search and gone through those threads - my bad for not mentioning it in my OP -, but the current issue had not yet been covered as it only started on November 23) the correct way to report any problems relating to Facebook Connect is by posting in this very forum:

Originally Posted by IB-Dick
Who do I contact if I am experiencing problems with Facebook Connect?
Problems with Facebook connect can be addressed in the Technical Issues forum.
4. It's Thanksgiving holidays in the U.S., where IB is based.
Happy belated Thanksgiving. Again, my bad for not acknowledging it in my OP. I'll make it a point never to report any problems over Christmas, New Year's, Independence Day, American public holidays in general, and Sundays.

Please don't shoot the messenger.
Please don't feel shot.

FT has been around since the 20th century.
I myself have been around since the 20th century AD.

When IB first introduced Facebook Connect back in spring 2010, there were quite a bit of discussion among and reaction from FTers. Some liked it, while some didn't/don't.
I appreciate you're part of the latter group, and that's absolutely fine. You are certainly free to not use Facebook Connect. It's a choice, and one that is officially offered by FT. Some of us have chosen to use it exclusively, and if something goes wrong we have no less of a right to discuss it than anyone experiencing trouble with any other means of logging in, traditional or otherwise. By saying we effectively shouldn't be posting here, you are denying us this right.

Look, I was aware that other login methods existed but have been perfectly happy with Facebook Connect ever since I joined FT. Never had any trouble with it, other than the odd incident of the button not loading. Others may have switched when it was introduced and have forgotten their original login data, with no means to retrieve them now. Fact is, since November 23 we can no longer log in to our accounts. Facebook Connect is not working for some as yet undetermined reason, and we have no backup login we can use. In hindsight, it might have been smart to have created one, just as much as at some point one may wish to be able to at least have the option to use Facebook Connect if something goes wrong with one's other login method of choice.

If you have time, you are more than welcome to dig in the previous discussion threads:
Thank you for the warm welcome. Never would have occurred to me. I just went right ahead and created a new thread at the first sign of trouble.

Last edited by -Heathcliff-; Nov 28, 2011 at 5:58 am
Old Nov 28, 2011, 6:05 am

Heathcliff2

^ Lets hope this is sorted soon.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arh2
Thanks. Assume we are all still in same boat re this still not working!!?
Just checked again. Still stuck at the cross domain receiver page popup.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 7:48 am
Community Director Emerita

IB staff will be back at work today. I sent a message to their tech guru, calling his attention to this thread.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
IB staff will be back at work today. I sent a message to their tech guru, calling his attention to this thread.
Thanks, SanDiego1K - much appreciated. ^
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:35 am

Thanks, SanDiego1K - much appreciated. ^
Agreed - thank you. ^
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:27 am

I had exactly the same problem on Nov 23.

I sent an e-mail to [email protected] and, much to my surprise , got a reply about 15 minutes later from IBLib.

Although her first suggestion didnīt work ( as I was unable to connect with Facebook as she first suggested ), after a couple of e-mails and confirming my bona fide, as Thanksgiving was approaching, she manually input my e-mail and created a temporary password.

Iīm still unable to use Facebook connect ( the same error as the other members above ), but can access my account.

I would like to record the excellent service I received from IBLib, with really fast replies to my e-mails and by pro-actively finding a solution rather than leave me without access during the holiday.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by IBLib; Nov 28, 2011 at 11:04 am Reason: changed FN to FT handle :)
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:21 am

Hi everyone. I've responded to several emails for users that are experiencing this problem, so if you did not contact [email protected] over the weekend, please send me a PM or email me at: [email protected] with your actual FlyerTalk username and the email address you'd like for your account. I'll set up a temporary password which you can change after logging into your account. Sorry for any inconveniences.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:30 am

Glad to have helped you out, P!
IT is working on this issue, so hopefully soon, everyone will be able to log into FlyerTalk via Facebook Connect.

Originally Posted by pvdecastro
I had exactly the same problem on Nov 23.

I sent an e-mail to [email protected] and, much to my surprise , got a reply about 15 minutes later from IBLib.

Although her first suggestion didnīt work ( as I was unable to connect with Facebook as she first suggested ), after a couple of e-mails and confirming my bona fide, as Thanksgiving was approaching, she manually input my e-mail and created a temporary password.

Iīm still unable to use Facebook connect ( the same error as the other members above ), but can access my account.

I would like to record the excellent service I received from IBLib, with really fast replies to my e-mails and by pro-actively finding a solution rather than leave me without access during the holiday.

Thanks a lot!
Old Nov 28, 2011, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IBLib
Glad to have helped you out, P!
IT is working on this issue, so hopefully soon, everyone will be able to log into FlyerTalk via Facebook Connect.
Thank you for helping out!

Unfortunately, now that I am able to log in to my original account, I am having trouble staying logged in. I did take all the steps outlined in the sticky, yet I still get logged out on every single new page I open. This is happening on all browsers and connections I tested, just like the Facebook Connect issue. No settings have changed on my end since the whole mess started last week, and I never encountered this before.

Perhaps the two are somehow connected? That would be bad news indeed...

Last edited by -Heathcliff-; Nov 28, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.