Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Cannot see telephone numbers in forum posts or PM's.

Old Sep 28, 2011, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!

Originally Posted by mia
The number is in post #180:
No number is showing, neither in the above post or post#180. I don't need that number though.

FWIW, when any phone number is posted on FT in the standard format, the software just blocks it. No phone number is shown, not in posts, and not in PMs either. Maybe there's a built-in phone number mask mechanism or something.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by lin821
No number is showing, neither in the above post or post#180. I don't need that number though.

FWIW, when any phone number is posted on FT in the standard format, the software just blocks it. No phone number is shown, not in posts, and not in PMs either. Maybe there's a built-in phone number mask mechanism or something.
What software are you using? Sounds more like malware. Try using Chrome instead of IE or whatever browser you are using. The number, for anyone else afflicted by a strange number-blocker, is two one two, six four zero, two thousand. (212) 640-2000.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 8:58 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... No phone number is shown, not in posts, and not in PMs either.
If the phone number were not visible I would not have provided the link. The phone number is visible to me using both Chrome and IE8. The problem is specific to your configuration. I suggest you report it [in the Technical Issues forum]

Last edited by mia; Sep 28, 2011 at 1:23 pm Reason: Link redundant after move
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:29 am
Original Poster

OT, but...

Originally Posted by mooper
What software are you using?
I was referring to the Internet Bulletin Board FT is using.

Not malware, spyware nor virus on my computer, last time (i.e this morning) I check.

Originally Posted by mia
If the phone number were not visible I would not have provided the link. The phone number is visible to me using both Chrome and IE8. The problem is specific to your configuration.
I am on FF with ....... Plus. And I never thought it has anything to do with my configuration not seeing phone numbers on FT. For example, I tried to provide a contact number for a travel agency in this post, the phone number was "white out" (i.e. invisible) after I submitted it. But I was/am able to see the fax number though. I had to exchange some phone numbers via PMs a while ago, and the numbers weren't showing under preview either. I just assume it's the board program/software to prevent that for privacy, protection or whatever reasons. If I replace dashes with dots between digits (i.e. XXX.XXX.XXXX, instead of XXX-XXX-XXXX), those phone numbers will show. I don't know why.

Thank you both for pointing it out and confirming the numbers are there. I see it's premature for me to assume it's a board software blocking from these two incidents. Since I hardly have to deal with phone numbers on FT, I didn't consider a discussion thread over Technical Issues Forum. I'll sleep on it and see if I will dig into this "non-issue" on FT.

Sorry to derail the discussion. Let me try to bring it back on the right track.

Yes, a lot of info is provided in thread already, such as executive office phone number. If one would just read a couple of pages or perform key word searches before asking a question, your fellow FTers can be graciously spared with repetitive enquiries.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
I was referring to the Internet Bulletin Board FT is using.

Not malware, spyware nor virus on my computer, last time (i.e this morning) I check.

I am on FF with ....... Plus. And I never thought it has anything to do with my configuration not seeing phone numbers on FT.
Your problem has *nothing* to do with FT software. FT serves the numbers fine to all browsers. It is something with your configuration, on your end. I suggest trying Chrome... would likely solve your issue instantly, and maybe others.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 1:08 pm

I suspect the problem is due to installed software / broswser add on like skype, which tries to turn every phone number into a link to allow the user to make a call. If so, changing browsers may not help depending on what browsers that software is activated for.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 1:21 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Posts discussing a report that numerals formatted as telephone numbers are not displayed have been moved to the Technical Issues forum.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Posts discussing a report that numerals formatted as telephone numbers are not displayed have been moved to the Technical Issues forum.
Thanks mia for moving this line of discussion from Amex Forum to Technical Issues Forum.

I now understand this is not a board software issue and probably wouldn't choose to burden IB staff. I usually go to our Travel Technology Forum for my silly computer questions and/or problems.

Originally Posted by mooper
Your problem has *nothing* to do with FT software. FT serves the numbers fine to all browsers. It is something with your configuration, on your end. I suggest trying Chrome... would likely solve your issue instantly, and maybe others.
Just tried both IE and Chrome and you are right. I do see phone numbers on FT on non-Firefox browsers.

Originally Posted by HikerT
I suspect the problem is due to installed software / broswser add on like skype, which tries to turn every phone number into a link to allow the user to make a call. If so, changing browsers may not help depending on what browsers that software is activated for.
Skype will do this? I have no idea!

I do have Skype with my FF though. Could Skype be the culprit?
Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:44 pm

Yes, likely due to skype (or other software conflicting with skype). Disable the skype plugin in FF and see if that fixes it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.