Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Flyertalk can't seem to remember last viewed post

Flyertalk can't seem to remember last viewed post

Old Jun 24, 2011, 4:32 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
This problem has shown up for me in the last few days. I thought it started before I upgraded to Firefox 5.0, but I can't swear by it. Win 7 Pro.

I'm not sure whether it's specific to certain threads. I'll try to watch for any patterns.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:40 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
I'm having the same in every thread I've tried in a few different forums. FF 5 on WinXP.

The forum page correctly shows which threads have unread posts in them, but when I click the "go to first unread" it picks up at posts from yesterday or the day before.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 8:46 am

After the suggestions that this was a vBB problem and the hints that it may be specific to the new version of Firefox, I've done more testing, and that seems right.

My Chrome works well. Safari is a little inconsistent for me, but I haven't cleared it all out.

But Chrome is doing the right thing for me.

This may have all started when I upgraded to Firefox 5. (Unrelated, I suspect, is that FF5 is deadly with Flash for me - I disabled it entirely.)
Old Jun 25, 2011, 8:59 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

I just experienced this issue for the first time yesterday, after upgrading to Firefox 5. The same "magic" url for a single thread (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-rapid-rewards/1229903-southwest-early-bird-boarding-sham-new-post.html) redirected to two different page anchor urls. In FF 5 (on Win 7 Home Premium) it redirected to (<http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-rapid-rewards/1229903-southwest-early-bird-boarding-sham.html#post16620273>) whereas on FF 4 / Win 7 Starter it correctly redirected to my first unread post (<http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-rapid-rewards/1229903-southwest-early-bird-boarding-sham.html#post16623396>). On the computer where new-post redirected to the wrong URL, the View First Unread link was nevertheless correct.

I have yet to encounter any intermittent problem with the new-post redirect. It has always worked, and continues to work, on FF 4, and always doesn't work on FF 5.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 9:31 am
Community Director Emerita

It's now happening to me, as of yesterday, when I upgraded to Firefox 5.0.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
It's now happening to me, as of yesterday, when I upgraded to Firefox 5.0.
I think that's the (or, at least, a) key. It was happening consistently on my work computer, which has FireFox 5.0. My home computer was fine -- it had FF 4.something. Yesterday, I upgraded my home computer and, now, it's happening on that one as well.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 1:07 pm

Yup - I posted too soon yesterday - somehow, my data points got messed up.

Clearly, a Firefox 5 issue on my end.

So I'm now all Chrome with FT, and sailing along again.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by josephstern
Clearly, a Firefox 5 issue on my end.

So I'm now all Chrome with FT, and sailing along again.
I'm thinking about reverting to an older version with Firefox 3.6.18 Portable Edition. FT is not the only site that seems to have problems with FF 5.0. It appears that it won't let you run two different versions simultaneously. You have to close one version in order to start up another version. And I'll need to copy or install my bookmarks, add-ons, etc. to the portable installation. Any nice tricks for doing all this?
Old Jun 25, 2011, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
It's not just a Firefox 5 issue. It's also an IE8 and IE9 issue it seems.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: A few
This issue started for me a few days ago. It is occurring on IE9 on Windows 7, Safari on my iPad, and Firefox 4 on all my macs, so clearly not a browser issue. I thought it was browser as it first started when I upgraded my work machine to IE9, but it is occurring for me across browsers and platforms. Really makes navigating pretty hard
Old Jun 26, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
FF5 + Vista for me.

Cookie problem ?
Old Jun 26, 2011, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
FF5 + Vista for me.

Cookie problem ?
I at least still have the problem, even after clearing cookies/cache.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by kipper
I at least still have the problem, even after clearing cookies/cache.
I mean what's in the cookie not being correct. I'm not having the same issue on other BBs, so it's a Flyertalk thing.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
I mean what's in the cookie not being correct. I'm not having the same issue on other BBs, so it's a Flyertalk thing.
LOL, sorry!
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I've been having this issue using FF 5, Win 7 Pro. When I started using Chrome, it seemed the problem disappeared, but I've noticed this happening with Chrome as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.