Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > TAP Air Portugal | Miles&Go
Reload this Page >

European Compensation for Delayed Baggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2019, 5:53 pm
J90
Original Poster

Hi All,

Back in June we were travelling from Madeira to Barcelona via Lisbon with TAP Portugal.

We landed in BCN to discover none of our 7 bags arrived. Long story short, they arrived at 2200 the next evening, so we were without our bags for 29 hours. We had to purchase emergency clothing, toiletries, medication, etc.

In total we spent €523 for 4 people. We have submitted a claim, however had not heard anything bag. I continue to follow up with TAP who are grossly incompetent and unable to respond. This occurred on the 29th June, I submitted the claim 4th July on my return home and still have lot heard anything back.

Is there any form of compensation that we are entitled to from TAP other than our emergency supplies? Something similar to the EU261 for delayed flights? Normally I wouldn’t care, and would be satisfied with reimbursement of the items we paid for, but after being subjected to appalling service both on the ground when the bags were delayed, and after the fact, I would like to know my options.

Appreciate the help.

Cheers,
J
Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
There is not for delayed luggage.

How did you submit the initial claim? How have you tried following up?
2-4 weeks seems ok to me for such a claim as it is not priority and probably has to pass through a few departments. Now that you're at a month it's fine to get a bit firmer. Calling or using Social Media to confirm the receipt of the claim and get a stated expectation for payment.

I had my luggage delayed by 55 hours, even though it arrived on the next flight just 2.5 hours later than I did, because the airport delivery service is grossly incompetent. Took me 6 weeks from claim to payment with AY. Still fighting them because their bank charged a fee when they said it wouldn't and my bank doesn't charge wire fees.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
It will often take airlines more than a month to deal with claims like this - it is pretty common + it is in the middle of the summer holidays, so I suggest 2-3 weeks of more of patience.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 6:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no compensation under EC 261/2004. However, there is reimbursement for your reasonable necessities purchased during this short delay. At EUR 523 for 4 people, your claim has likely triggered a first and possibly more extensive review for reasonableness. Without knowing what you purchased, hard to give an opinion, but in 2-3 months you should hear back. Whether all of it gets paid is a different question.

For the benefit of others, the vast majority of bag delays are resolved in 24-36 hours. It is generally a good idea to use generous cabin baggage allowances to pack the first 2-3 days (or more) of items and thus avoid this issue entirely.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The claim seems reasonable, so I would just submit it to your travel insurance company. They can deal with TAP if necessary.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk @J90.

Please follow the redirect as we send your query to our TP forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Apr 4, 2024, 10:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Submitted a claim for expenses for delayed bag and after a few email exchanges sending receipts and bank info, etc, TAP said they approved the purchases and had initiated a bank transfer. That was 2 weeks ago. They were very responsive with the claim, but I'm not seeing anything in my account re the transfer. Does anyone know how long this takes? I don't mind waiting a bit, but I'd like to have some sense of what to expect. Thanks.

Update: At 3 weeks, I replied to their email and asked for an update. The next day, they replied that the transfer to my bankd had been sent, and sure enough, it posted that day. They handled all of this efficiently and correctly. I have nothing but praise.

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Apr 12, 2024 at 1:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.