Reload this Page >

proposal: break "airline programs" heading into four alliance-based headings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

proposal: break "airline programs" heading into four alliance-based headings

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2009, 5:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by NickB
Surely there has to be a price for being member of the FFP on an alliance tart, who flirts with everybody but commits to no-one .
There is... no one besides AS, NW (and soon to be DL) really acknowledges it

Seriously, though, the list of fora would not be any longer, just organised differently. Like any change, it would take some time to get used to but should not be that much longer, even if one assumes, as is implicit in your post, that you don't use MyFlyertalk to subscribe to fora frequently used.
MyFlyertalk is definitely a nice feature to use, and for those threads I post in, I subscribe to... but as to subscribing to all the forums I'm interested in... you are correct... it depends on how much time I have and my priorities of the day... (I am amazed at how much stuff can get posted in some of these mega forums )

I am also assuming that, by default, the headings for each of the four groupings would not be collapsed, so that you would not need any additional click from your usual point of entry for airline FFPs to get to the forum of any particular airline.
It would be cool if they could (with a simple drop down menu) have a switch to not only expand/contract the listing of FF programs, but to organize them based on alliance, alphabetical (pre-existing) and geographical - (That one might be a little far off... but am working on a Europe trip for the first time and this could help - but might pose a problem due to the breadth of some carriers )

Also, if I can request it... a command that would list all the 'partners' forums that AS uses (well... not really a realistic request but I can dream :-)...
Old Jan 15, 2009, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
It would be cool if they could (with a simple drop down menu) have a switch to not only expand/contract the listing of FF programs, but to organize them based on alliance, alphabetical (pre-existing) and geographical - (That one might be a little far off... but am working on a Europe trip for the first time and this could help - but might pose a problem due to the breadth of some carriers )
Agreed.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Maybe I need to think about this more, but my initial reaction is that this is an awful idea.

When less-experienced newbies come to Flyertalk (and I'd guess a lot of site visitors fall into this category), they will have a hard time finding the right forum.

It might help the more expert flyer, but those people already know about alliances and what other airlines belong. They can already find what they need with just a bit of extra scrolling, or they can set up My Flyertalk to collect those forums onto a single compact page.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 2:35 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Nick, I didn't want to leave you hanging, so I wanted to say that I'm not personally optimistic about this proposal.

Speaking only for myself, I think such a radical change creates some anxiety and I understand why that is (ain't broke, don't fix it and all that).

For better or for worse, the TB is set up to be a very conservative group and change comes hard, espcially radical change like this no matter its relative merits.

So...I can't say what may or may not happen for sure. But, as I say, I didn't want you to think your idea had slipped through the cracks. It's still 'out there,' but...

IMHO only.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:59 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by swag
Maybe I need to think about this more, but my initial reaction is that this is an awful idea.

When less-experienced newbies come to Flyertalk (and I'd guess a lot of site visitors fall into this category), they will have a hard time finding the right forum.

It might help the more expert flyer, but those people already know about alliances and what other airlines belong. They can already find what they need with just a bit of extra scrolling, or they can set up My Flyertalk to collect those forums onto a single compact page.
I agree. If this proposal went ahead we are putting obstacles in front of newbies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.