Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Proposal: Allow members to remove their IDs and expunge all associated posts.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposal: Allow members to remove their IDs and expunge all associated posts.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2009, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy
That is closer to the mistake I was referring to. You assumed something about the Internet that was clearly wrong. It is open for all to see. It has always been that way. Flyertalk has never had a membership fee or any other serious requirement to participate in Omni. Any fool can make 100 posts and anyone can read and/or scan the data in Omni. If you made the mistake that assumed it was private, then, again, it was your mistake. You shouldn't expect Randy to make a significant change to Flyertalk to help you cover your mistakes.
I assumed nothing that was incorrect about the Internet.

I've covered the "mistake" issue earlier. FlyerTalk was closed as far as suited my purpose. There are many things on the Internet that are not accessible through the search engines, and this is how it should be. My mistake was in assuming that Randy would not himself unknowingly open Omni to the search engines and then make no move to address the issue once it was called to his attention.

In the same vein, I'm assuming that he will not sell my e-mail address. This is a real concern since I didn't use a throw-away e-mail to register for FlyerTalk. (edit to say that I corrected that error, to save Randy the ethical questions. Anyone who has left a valid email address with him will be assumed to assent to it being sold).

Originally Posted by stimpy
A lot of people around the world are angry with Google because it is making the world most open and accessible. A lot of military people hate Google Earth. A lot of criminals hate Google because it makes finding them easier. I personally am very happy with the world becoming more open and accessible and I will always fight against people who try to keep things closed.
Interesting that you should mention this as two of my co-workers had their credit compromised this very day. This is growing well beyond the simplicity of my original request, but the wired world is more complex than you realize. My company makes a huge amount of money selling technology that keeps information on the public 'net secure.

Ignoring the military-industrial complex and its relationship with Google Earth for the moment, Randy mistakenly opened Omni Fluffy and Omni PR to the search engines. He has remained silent on the subject for three months despite posts by many long-term FlyerTalkers requesting that he address the issue.

It would cost him next to nothing to support those who have been long-term supporters themselves, ameliorate that action, and allow for bulk removal of posts.

Edit to say text in Book Antigua in that last line inserted for clarity.

Last edited by birdstrike; Jan 17, 2009 at 10:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.