Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Proposal: Allow members to remove their IDs and expunge all associated posts.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2008, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Given:

1) Changes in Forum policy are out of the control of any individual member.

2) Said changes may result in an environment in which the member may have originally chosen not to participate.

I propose that FlyerTalk enable an "opt-out" function to allow any member to remove their handle and all posts associated with that handle.

This facility mostly exists today through the simple expedient of editing existing posts to contain null text. The only effect of adding this one-button option is to remove the mechanical burden of editing multiple posts one-at-a-time from the individual.

Enlightened Social Networks already enable this facility.

I believe this is a feature we currently possess, and only requires that a flag be set to make it visible.

The net effect to FlyerTalk can only be positive. Either a few concerned posters will quietly leave, or a large number of posters will vanish and thus stimulate change, hopefully for the better.

Let us make it so.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 2:55 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
Agreed +1
Old Dec 6, 2008, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I vote: "yea."
Old Dec 6, 2008, 6:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Absolutely!
Old Dec 6, 2008, 8:57 am

Agreed.

Last edited by SkeptiCallie; Dec 6, 2008 at 9:04 am
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
If implemented, the member should have the option to purge posts by forum- for example, deleting all OMNI posts while leaving posts in an airline forum.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:21 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Just for the record and in the event that this is something that TB gets involved with, I'd like to make note of what appears to be the HOM's official position on removing posts:

Originally Posted by Mikel at Webflyer
From a technical perspective, it is certainly possible to delete all of a member's posts. From a policy perspective, it is not something we currently do.

From the FAQs:

Who owns my post?

For the sake of simplicity, we'd say that we own anything posted on FlyerTalk. Our reasoning is that we have the power to edit or delete any post if we, representing the community, find it provides more harm than value to FlyerTalk. Also, if a member decides they no longer want to participate in the community, we would find it difficult to go into the database and delete each post an individual had made. Excerpts from posts to FlyerTalk may appear in InsideFlyer magazines, books, or other materials.

Of course, policy decisions are always up for revision, but at this time the short answer to the original question is, we do not remove posts upon a member's request.

I understand this probably isn't the answer you were hoping for birdstrike, but I hope it helps clarify the current policy.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:31 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I am against this.... if it is applicable to the entire board. What about other people who posted to those threads... if posts start getting deleted, threads will no longer make sense. In addition, deleting threads will take away post counts from anyone who posted in the deleted thread.

However, if this was only for OMNI... due to the change in policy there... then I could possibly see this.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 1:02 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by wharvey
I am against this.... if it is applicable to the entire board. What about other people who posted to those threads... if posts start getting deleted, threads will no longer make sense. In addition, deleting threads will take away post counts from anyone who posted in the deleted thread.

However, if this was only for OMNI... due to the change in policy there... then I could possibly see this.
Agreed - and also if the first post of a thread is deleted, the entire thread gets deleted even though it could be one that has a lot of good information/discussion. I ran across this "problem" when I was consolidating and cleaning up threads for "Master Threads" in the Hyatt forum - I deleted the first post in one thread and that thread disappeared for the general FTer - took quite a bit of research to figure out what happened. So a "blanket" deletion of a member's posts (especially one who is prolific) can cause a lot of disruption through the entire board. I could support if this was done only in OMNI.

Now if a member just deletes information in their post, it doesn't cause this effect - at least I don't believe so.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 2:36 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Another issue is that posts get quoted all the time. Doing a mass delete of a poster does not eliminate all their posts... any post that got quoted would still be there. That again would make threads very awkward.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 3:44 pm

Programs: After years of status, back to Peon levels. Anti-Apostheid Platinum, PWP CentCom
I support this. There's certainly technical issues to be worked through, but I agree with what birdstrike is trying to accomplish. At the very least, we should be able to purge OMNI posts, since as wharvey noted, that's one of the major drivers of discontent around here. Since it's a cesspool anyhow ( ), disconnected threads shouldn't be the end of the world.

The larger issue is that our host has let things get to a state where people not only want to leave the community, but that they want to erase themselves from FT existence. Can the TB fix it themselves? Doubtful...but we need to consider what the guiding reason behind this proposal is. While TB can't fix the root cause, they have more influence than Joe the User with our host.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 4:17 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Definitely. As I noted on the ORP forum, I have deleted various innocuous OMNI posts and all still show up in FT searches, with a trashcan icon. Moreover, I did a google search and found numerous posts by FT'ers making personal insults to my handle and accusing me of all sorts of things. Of course the posts show my home city (since deleted from my profile) and it would be quite easy for a crazy person to find me if they thought I indeed did such things. It's bad enough getting hate PM's from FT'ers I don't know. For security reasons alone, allowing the kind of stuff on OMNI to go out into the wider world is very foolish.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wharvey
Just think what a hash this would make of the count-up and count-down threads. They would no longer be accurate.

To clarify, I don't advocate deleting threads, just expunging posts. The DBAs who manage FT have much more sophisticated tools at their disposal than the moderators.

I don't expect the posts of anyone who may have quoted one of my posts to be touched in any way.

I don't care about what happens to my post count. (Edit to say, that was a quixotic comment, if my handle is deleted then it's post count is irrelevant )

I made roughly 12,000 posts out of the 10,000,000+ (ten million) on FlyerTalk. I won't kid myself to think that anyone will miss them. Even the Legends posts would not be more than a drop in the bucket. How many here remember Doc?

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

( Percy Bysshe Shelley)

Mikel notwithstanding, this is not going to be difficult to implement and is most likely a component of the software version FlyerTalk is already running.

Last edited by birdstrike; Dec 6, 2008 at 9:35 pm
Old Dec 6, 2008, 6:13 pm
In Memoriam

I am absolutely against this as it is being presented.

People can be responsible for what they pen.

This whole idea of changing handles was against the grain for me as well.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 6:15 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by underpressure
I am absolutely against this as it is being presented.

People can be responsible for what they pen.

This whole idea of changing handles was against the grain for me as well.
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.