Search

european rail forum

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2008, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
european rail forum

Eurostar, Thalys, TGV, RailTeam, Bahn, ... alot of european rails have specific programs ... maybe time has come to add a european rail forum? after all ... amtrak has its own forum ... and it would help alot for european traveller. not to replace the germany or the europe forum ... but allow specific european rail questions... thoughts?
Old Dec 7, 2008, 10:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Great idea. I know nothing about these Freq Trav rail programs and this would be an excellent place to collate information and tips.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 11:05 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
At first blush I would be OK with this.

Having recently dealt with the European rail system, I found it somewhat confusing and would have welcomed a forum where I could have done some research and/or asked some questions.

Last edited by Cholula; Dec 9, 2008 at 7:16 am
Old Dec 7, 2008, 11:15 am

Ground transportation

There is no real place for ground transportation, yet there does seem to be an interest for it. There are geographical forums for "all other" frequent flyer programs, all other hotels, credit cards, car rentals, and there is an Others section that includes Amtrak forum, iDine and Gaming - but there are other frequent traveller programs, not just European rail, but probably some other railways, and then do not forget ships with their frequent flyer programs.

So, what about a forum for "Ground Transport"?
Old Dec 7, 2008, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack

So, what about a forum for "Ground Transport"?
let's keep general ground transport in the destination forums. ... europe forum for example can handle it. more of a problem for specific rail programs: there's not really a place for it. where would you put a eurostar lounge access question? UK forum? France forum? europe forum?
Old Dec 8, 2008, 11:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Good idea chrissxb

As a non-European who has struggled through these multi-country European rail issues on multiple occasions, I would find this forum extremely helpful.

I fear this could well fall victim to the, "Please demonstrate an existing need within current 'fora'" litmus test. I would argue that while I have had these very questions in the past, there was no logical place on FT to post them -- so, in most cases, I didn't (and consequently went elsewhere).

While this may not be a particularly busy forum, post-wise, with some key content, it could serve a very valuable service to members.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrissxb
...: there's not really a place for it. where would you put a eurostar lounge access question? UK forum? France forum? europe forum?
Someone has put a Eurostar question in the BA forum OT: Eurostar classes. Has 89 posts so far.

A thread from 2006 in the BMI forum OT:Eurostar
"The BMI board is the place for discussing trains......" (Jenbel)

Does anyone know why Eurostar doesn't have a Flyertalk Forum? Someone asked me that in a PM.

I'm always puzzled by the way airlines avoid mentioning it, in those on-board surveys, for example. You're on a London-Paris (or London-Brussels) flight and they ask you which other airlines you have used to travel that route, and then ask you to compare them with the one you're flying, for timekeeping, service and so on. They seem oblivious to the fact that they are ignoring about 75% of the competition.

Amtrak has a board (and most of the posts seem to be about the North-East corridor where the train clearly competes for the same Frequent Flyers who use the airlines for the same journeys) but there's nothing for the long-distance, high frequency European rail routes which are in the same market as short-haul air travel.

The president of French Railways would like Eurostar and Thalys (to begin with) and some of the other international train operators to combine their Frequent Traveller programmes in order to compete with the airlines. Maybe that will be the moment to start a board?...

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
As a non-European who has struggled through these multi-country European rail issues on multiple occasions, I would find this forum extremely helpful.

I fear this could well fall victim to the, "Please demonstrate an existing need within current 'fora'" litmus test. I would argue that while I have had these very questions in the past, there was no logical place on FT to post them -- so, in most cases, I didn't (and consequently went elsewhere).

While this may not be a particularly busy forum, post-wise, with some key content, it could serve a very valuable service to members.
Doing a search of "Eurostar" in the thread title brings up 9 pages of threads. A lot of those would not belong in Eu rail forum but many would. Many are in TravelBuzz or MilesBuzz forums, which is not what posters above were suggesting. One is the Marriot Hotel forum

A Eu rail forum seems a good idea ^

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 9, 2008 at 1:15 am Reason: more links to old threads
Old Dec 9, 2008, 4:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Having argued in the past for the need for a rail forum which was voted down, then I'd support this.

That said, we've just about established a protocol for handling UK rail questions, with them routed to either BMI for those in the know (don't ask, it started off as a joke!) or the UK forum.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 4:13 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
I would support such a forum, and I believe interest in such a forum is likely to rise over the next years since the largest operators have created the Railteam alliance, which will unify ticketing, allow reciprocity on frequent traveller programmes, lounge access etc.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jenbel
That said, we've just about established a protocol for handling UK rail questions,
I disagree. Eurostar network is more in continental europe than in the UK. who would search for that in the BMI forum?

TB - please create a rail forum
Old Dec 9, 2008, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
I would like to see such a forum. I will be using European rail more in the future and would find such a forum most useful.

Currently, I know there is useful information on the boards. I'm just not sure where to look. The bmi board has been mentioned. There's currently a thread in the BA forum about Eurostar, whose obvious place would be in a rail forum.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 4:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by chrissxb
I disagree. Eurostar network is more in continental europe than in the UK. who would search for that in the BMI forum?

TB - please create a rail forum
Did I say anything about Eurostar? UK rail is a lot more than Eurostar, and probably throws up just as many threads as Eurostar does. I would hope that a European rail forum would be about more than just Eurostar
Old Dec 9, 2008, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jenbel
I would hope that a European rail forum would be about more than just Eurostar
me too I agree on this one ... and I hope TB sees the need for some clarification: Bahn, Thalys, SNCF, ICE, SNCB, SBB, ÖBB, TGV, ScotRail, RailTeam, Eurostar, Artesia, Lyria, Inter-Rail, Cisalpino, Norges Statsbaner, RENFE, NS, Veolia, CFL, FS ... there's just too much to talk about
Old Dec 9, 2008, 5:37 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
there are even two Eurostars...
Old Dec 9, 2008, 7:43 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
I would also like to see a forum dedicated to European rail - there are definitely a few programs out there that I'd like to use, but there is very little info and it's currently spread around multiple forums.

Maybe we could put it under the "Other European Frequent Flyer Programs", renaming that category "Other European Frequent Traveler Programs"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.