Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Proposal: Allow members to remove their IDs and expunge all associated posts.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposal: Allow members to remove their IDs and expunge all associated posts.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2008, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by underpressure
I am absolutely against this as it is being presented.

People can be responsible for what they pen.

This whole idea of changing handles was against the grain for me as well.
I haven't heard one poster say they did not claim responsibility for their words.

Two reasons for the change:

1) The viewership changed. If the playing field changes, the rules should change as well.

2) If other public fora allow it, why should FlyerTalk not? I see it as a matter of common courtesy.

An interesting question for debate is if it matters if the expunged posts are Omni-only, or FlyerTalk-wide.

If presented as an answer to the recent opening of Omni to the search engines, then it should be Omni-only.

Since I see it as a courtesy feature, it should be FlyerTalk-wide.

I don't see changing handles as an issue. Like expunging posts, it should be a courtesy extended.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 6:59 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have no problem with my posts. What I object to is replies like this being viewable on Google associated with my handle. If FT is going to allow this, they should do some ex post facto moderation. At this point, I wouldn't dream of recommending FT to anyone. Who wants to read things like this?

"I hope you keep your beliefs right up to the moment some IslamoFascist slits your throat at one of your dinner parties."
http://www.flyertalk.com/forums/newr...eply&p=6201587
Old Dec 6, 2008, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

dup. Arghh.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by birdstrike
dup. Arghh.
There is a technical problem with the proposal and I don't know if it is solvable.

Let's say that birdstrike wants his posts removed -- and they are. Would they continue to appear in subsequent posts which quoted them (such as the "dup" one above)?

If not, wouldn't it make references to them in following posts very unclear?
Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:41 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dovster
Let's say that birdstrike wants his posts removed -- and they are. Would they continue to appear in subsequent posts which quoted them (such as the "dup" one above)?

Well, I am deleting all of mine, a long and tedious job, and a waste of what are either pithy and well-researched info or derangement depending on one's POV. Nevertheless, I do not wish to occupy even a minor niche on google. Of course the quotes will remain and anyone looking for enlightenment on OMNI will suffer "unclearness" which fortunately is a trivial matter of minor annoyance. Or possibly major as more people do as I do and such non sequiturs occupy more of OMNI and even other fora.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dovster
There is a technical problem with the proposal and I don't know if it is solvable.

This has been addressed.

The post you reference was made by myself. It would be removed.

Posts which quote or reference mine might be orphaned. This is no different from the posts which I have already edited or deleted.

More enlightened forums already allow posters to expunge their posts and identity. Probably because of legal concerns, since with more than 10 million posts, neither you, nor I, are otherwise a blip on their radar.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 12:22 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
More enlightened forums already allow posters to expunge their posts and identity. Probably because of legal concerns, since with more than 10 million posts, neither you, nor I, are otherwise a blip on their radar.
I'm a noob, and I'm afraid to step in here , but I'm wondering if you can name a few of these enlightened forums please? I haven't seen any that allow it.

I think it is a great idea, and have seen requests at many other sites for this functionality.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 4:48 am
In Memoriam

I haven't heard one poster say they did not claim responsibility for their words.
Then why change handles and try to delete threads?

They do not want to be responsible for their words.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
1) The viewership changed. If the playing field changes, the rules should change as well.
That's the real issue. In a way this thread is a side issue. Instead it may be best to discuss/confront the real issue head on.

The real issue is the change in OMNI to open/searchable, and clearly a significant portion of users want it restored to private/non-searchable. The change came through by fiat, without discussion or warning, and as any Italian car buff knows, Fiat stands for "Fix It Again Tony*".

*in this case, "Tony" would be an alternate handle for "Randy".
Old Dec 7, 2008, 6:41 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
That's the real issue. In a way this thread is a side issue. Instead it may be best to discuss/confront the real issue head on.

The real issue is the change in OMNI to open/searchable, and clearly a significant portion of users want it restored to private/non-searchable. The change came through by fiat, without discussion or warning, and as any Italian car buff knows, Fiat stands for "Fix It Again Tony*".

*in this case, "Tony" would be an alternate handle for "Randy".
so you are suggesting a name change to FiaR Talk? (too easy)
Old Dec 7, 2008, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

In the case of the two handle changes I am aware of, one was to correct spelling to match the original intent of the name, the other was to subtly update the nom de plume to one the poster thought was more fitting. When that happens, all past posts acquire the changed handle. Everyone who cared was aware of the change. It had nothing to do with responsibility, though you may see it differently and/or be aware of other cases.

With respect to posts, Gargoyle has it right. We choose to share different thoughts with different people at different times. Again, nothing to do with not taking responsibility for ones writings. There are things that are appropriate to share with FlyerTalk that are not necessarily appropriate for Google. YMMV.

It's kind of like the gay marriage issue. If you don't like the idea, no one is going to force you to have one.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 9:22 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist

?? Is this a reference to the brief period where we could correct typos and such in our handles? If so, while off-topic for this thread, it had nada to do with not being responsible for one's words. In my case, it was announced, I included my former handle in my signature for quite a while, and all my previous posts were changed. Given that I've been very open in posting about my life and that of my family and that my new handle was so similar to the old, I don't think I confused a soul. I am responsible for everything I have written in my almost-10 years on FT. Your mischaracterization of the intent is ridiculous. I made a typo 10 years ago and now it is fixed. Nothing more sinister than that. ANd just to announce again - I was letiole; I am now l'etoile. I didn't lobby for the change.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 9:26 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by l'etoile
?? Is this a reference to the brief period where we could correct typos and such in our handles? If so, while off-topic for this thread, it had nada to do with not being responsible for one's words. In my case, it was announced, I included my former handle in my signature for quite a while, and all my previous posts were changed. Given that I've been very open in posting about my life and that of my family and that my new handle was so similar to the old, I don't think I confused a soul. I am responsible for everything I have written in my almost-10 years on FT. Your mischaracterization of the intent is ridiculous. I made a typo 10 years ago and now it is fixed. Nothing more sinister than that. ANd just to announce again - I was letiole; I am now l'etoile. I didn't lobby for the change.
There are a number of OMNI posters who realized the silly things they have posted are actually attributable to them as real people. There has been a scramble for name changes and post removals.

That is my beef.... if people are not accountable for their words, the silly season will continue.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 9:27 am

I definitely support birdstrike in making a change, although I think it should be limited to Omni (and written to include any other currently 'closed" forum).

My understanding is that, had the transition to opening Omni to Google been done properly and with the interests of board members, it could have been done so that all prior posts could not been open to Google. Then ones going forward from a set date could be made open and we would have the option of posting or not. Changing the rules midgame is wrong on so many levels, but, as I understand it, it's not too late to correct it. I hope TalkBoard will make a recommendation to do just that.

Last edited by l etoile; Dec 7, 2008 at 9:32 am
Old Dec 7, 2008, 9:31 am

There are a number of OMNI posters who realized the silly things they have posted are actually attributable to them as real people. There has been a scramble for name changes and post removals.

That is my beef.... if people are not accountable for their words, the silly season will continue.
I see. But they didn't know their bosses/SOs/college deans/neighbors they've complained about would now be able to see those words. I think "silly season will continue until the silliness of changing the rules of Omni with no notice and no way of opting out is fixed. Can you imagine if the same had been done in a certain trading forum and posters there were now under the scrutiny of their various travel companies? Afterall, if the reason for this was that people were feeling "left out" and "unwelcome" well then we should certainly open up absolutely every private forum here. Heck, let's make private PMs open too. That should boost hits ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.