Motion Failed, Voting Complete: Travel Health & Fitness forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Failed, Voting Complete: Travel Health & Fitness forum

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2008, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Up until recently I had the "give a forum a chance and see how it goes" approach, but after the senior travel forum I'm not totally convinced that it's the right course of action anymore. I think the idea itself is good, but at the same time my major issue is that we'll only be dividing FT further with the creation of such a forum, IMO. I think questions regarding fitness at a specific hotel chain are best off in the hotel forums, while fitness specific to a country/city would be in the forum of that country/city.

While I think it would be ok to post those in the fitness forum, at the end of the day it's up to the moderators to choose whether or not to move threads, so I can only imagine it'll make searching for fitness related threads more difficult.

Still not convinced one way or another, but it seems like not too many people are passionate about this....
Old Oct 1, 2008, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Up until recently I had the "give a forum a chance and see how it goes" approach, but after the senior travel forum I'm not totally convinced that it's the right course of action anymore. I think the idea itself is good, but at the same time my major issue is that we'll only be dividing FT further with the creation of such a forum, IMO. I think questions regarding fitness at a specific hotel chain are best off in the hotel forums, while fitness specific to a country/city would be in the forum of that country/city.

While I think it would be ok to post those in the fitness forum, at the end of the day it's up to the moderators to choose whether or not to move threads, so I can only imagine it'll make searching for fitness related threads more difficult.

Still not convinced one way or another, but it seems like not too many people are passionate about this....
That's because they're watching the trainwreck on the TB guidelines thread

Cheers.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
This forum, when passed, will prod some of us that need exercise, to find exercise.

I like the idea of a central location on FT to get info regarding shots. @:-)

dh
Old Oct 2, 2008, 7:21 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in CUZCO, PERU
People tend to be pretty passionate about fitness. Kind of like how they are passionate about travel, points and miles.

I think that bodes well for the success of a Travel Health & Fitness forum.

And so I did just vote in favor of approving the forum.

If it is not successful after six months I am totally open to closing it down.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 7:28 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by kokonutz
If it is not successful after six months I am totally open to closing it down.
Such a sadly subjective term.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
Such a sadly subjective term.
As the TB member who proposed closing the religious traveler forum and who views the seniors forum as being on, forgive the pun, life support as it tries to find footing in its first 6 months, I agree.

But that doesn't necessarily make this forum a bad idea.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 11:05 am

But that doesn't necessarily make this forum a bad idea.
Doesn't it? You mentioned passion for this forum as one reason you voted for it but as I recall there was as much passion for almost all the other proposed forums, several of which have not lived up to the hype. I'd almost prefer a more formalized process of creating and shuttering forums rather than the more rudementary show of hands that we're using at present.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 11:58 am

Doesn't it? You mentioned passion for this forum as one reason you voted for it but as I recall there was as much passion for almost all the other proposed forums, several of which have not lived up to the hype. I'd almost prefer a more formalized process of creating and shuttering forums rather than the more rudementary show of hands that we're using at present.
Actually I don't use show-of-hands at all.

My personal metrics are, basically:

1) Is there a core group of FTers passionate about it and are ready to take 'ownership' of it?

2) Does it make sense that it could become a vibrant forum?

3) Does it supplement, rather than detract from, existing vibrant forums?

If the answers are yes then I figure it's worth a shot.

I am on the record for closing down forums that, imho, do not become vibrant. Both in the motions that I have made and the votes I have taken. There is nothing worse than a representative who cannot admit to and work to correct mistakes, imho.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 12:12 pm

If the answers are yes then I figure it's worth a shot.
The answer to all those questions almost always is yes, partly the point I was making that it seems all too easy to create forums yet that much harder to close them down once they fail to attract a following or synergy.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Sorry as I remain unconvinced more forums are necessary, including one on this or these topics especially when the definition includes the potentially nebulous medical related discussions.
Agree 100%

If I am flying to Cuba or Libya or Suriname or Tunisia or Burma or Sri Lanka (as I have in the past year or so) I'll be wanting to ask a trained medical professional what jabs and tablets I need, not some anonymous armchair expert on FT who learned all they know from a 1994 Lonely Planet most likely.

Absolutely no need whatever for a central forum on this .. the masses of country/region specific forums we are drowning in already, and most suffer from under use at that.

Ask in there if you must get untrained armchair medical advice on things that may ruin your body.

If you want to find the nearest gym, ask the concierge at your hotel for goodness sakes.

Will we have central forums next on here as to where to buy Pepsi or gum or newspapers in each new city? Get a grip folks.

Glen

Last edited by ozstamps; Oct 2, 2008 at 12:20 pm
Old Oct 2, 2008, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Agree 100%

If I am flying to Cuba or Libya or Suriname or Tunisia or Burma or Sri Lanka (as I have in the past year or so) I'll be wanting to ask a trained medical professional what jabs and tablets I need, not some anonymous armchair expert on FT who learned all they know from a 1994 Lonely Planet most likely.
So don't use it!

Seriously though, to me the purpose of this forum is to discuss staying healthy on the road. I don't know if it'll be a popular forum, but as someone who gained about 15 pounds over the past 3 years while being a weekly business traveler & eating expensed meals & staying in hotels & often being too exhausted to try to work out, this could have been beneficial for me (although I just switched to a desk job ). I can see how this could provide value to some members. You've got to remember, not everyone travels the same way on FlyerTalk & there are a variety of different folks with different experiences. Want to ask about physcial reactions to Malarone or want to know if other travelers have a recommended diet while flying, maybe this forum is for you. Don't want to know it, maybe it's not for you?
Old Oct 3, 2008, 12:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
. . . to me the purpose of this forum is to discuss staying healthy on the road.
I agree. I believe that was the point of the original suggestion and I strongly support the premise (all the while continuing to rationalize all the valid reasons for not doing so myself).

I genuinely hope the TB will support this forum so (that the day that I get serious about the topic again for myself, and stop avoiding the suggested forum that would challenge all my well-honed rationalizations), there is a place to turn for ideas and support from like-minded frequent travelers.

(You know what? Upon further review, it might just be easier for me if we kill this thing right here, right now. Cheers!)
Old Oct 3, 2008, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually I don't use show-of-hands at all.

My personal metrics are, basically:

1) Is there a core group of FTers passionate about it and are ready to take 'ownership' of it?

2) Does it make sense that it could become a vibrant forum?

3) Does it supplement, rather than detract from, existing vibrant forums?
Using your metrics, my greatest worry would be on 3), viz. cannibalisation of the destination fora if the forum is used for destination-specific information (which is what I am most concerned about). If destination-specific information is kept out of this proposed forum, then I would be most unsure about 2).
Although I would therefore rather fall on the negative side of the balance here, I would have felt better if it had been possible to give it a try and see. But as closing a failing forum seems to be near impossible, this would keep me in the against camp.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Put me down as a big YES for this.

*thanks for the heads up on this S!
Old Oct 3, 2008, 11:45 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Big yes from me too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.