Wiki Posts
Search

Ambassador proposal reboot

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2008, 4:40 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Frankly, I don't see this role as something on the pathway to something greater and more glorious.
It doesn't have to be, but it can be. It's up to the member. Probability of success meant your chance of having an expanded role later. If you don't want an expanded role later, that's OK.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 4:46 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
I thought this had been voted down previously? Is this the ONLY thing that TB has on its mind because there are two people on the TB who want it? I don't understand why it's being brought up again. Honestly. . .as SkiAdcock mentioned there are already people on this board/community who do this as a matter of course.

Why is this such a "big" issue? What am I missing?

You want input/suggestions? Why don't we just move off this topic and move onto something that might be productive?
Old Jun 20, 2008, 5:41 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ldsant
I don't understand why it's being brought up again.
Because it was Randy's initiative and because the earlier proposal was not a concensus proposal. This discussion has an excellent chance to show whether or not a concensus is possible.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 6:28 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by nsx
Because it was Randy's initiative and because the earlier proposal was not a concensus proposal. This discussion has an excellent chance to show whether or not a concensus is possible.
So why didn't Randy propose it then in here? And since it's his board he could just implement it. If you look at the previous 10 pages of input from folks it didn't seem like this was a big "yes!" in terms of people seeing a need for this.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

So why didn't Randy propose it then in here?
Maybe as he created a Talkboard to do exactly such things?

Koko clearly has taken many hours on this alone reading post #1. I feel sure Randy would rather have that kind of input than doing it himself.

You are entitled to say you do not feel it is needed (on that I agree with you as I've posted earlier) but to belittle and denigrate those TB members (below) who have taken a lot of time on this looks pretty churlish - to me.

Glen

I thought this had been voted down previously? Is this the ONLY thing that TB has on its mind because there are two people on the TB who want it? I don't understand why it's being brought up again. Honestly. . .as SkiAdcock mentioned there are already people on this board/community who do this as a matter of course.

Why is this such a "big" issue? What am I missing?

You want input/suggestions? Why don't we just move off this topic and move onto something that might be productive?
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by nsx
It doesn't have to be, but it can be. It's up to the member. Probability of success meant your chance of having an expanded role later. If you don't want an expanded role later, that's OK.
I see a lot of moderators in place without such a program or position.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by ozstamps
My view in that Forum Mods should not have any role in the selection process as they themselves often come and to from Forums. Superb candidates might well be blocked by an individual given any level of input. Human nature - sorry, and I can certainly see that occurring in some instances.
The Human Nature Argument cuts both ways, oz -- TB members can be just as capable of Selection Vendetta.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by essxjay
The Human Nature Argument cuts both ways, oz -- TB members can be just as capable of Selection Vendetta.
That is true, but there are several differences:

1. A TB member can not decide anything on his own. All TB decisions require a 2/3rds majority so a member with a prejudice is going to have to explain his reasons to the others if he hopes to convince them.

2. TB decisions are publicized -- meaning that you would be able to see who voted in your favor and who did not.

3. TB members are elected for a two year term. Those who engage in vendettas are liable to find themselvs voted out.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:18 pm
Original Member

Generally speaking, yes of course. However, the OP's proposal is silent on points 1 and 2. Point 3 applies to mods as well.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:21 pm

Point 3 applies to mods as well.
Mods are elected for a two-year period? That certainly comes as a very big surprise to me.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:46 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Dovster
Originally Posted by Dovster
Those who engage in vendettas are liable to find themselvs voted out.
Point 3 applies to mods as well.
Mods are elected for a two-year period? That certainly comes as a very big surprise to me.
Don't be obtuse, Dov. Bad mods are voted off the proverbial island as sure as night follows day.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 1:34 am

Don't be obtuse, Dov. Bad mods are voted off the proverbial island as sure as night follows day.
The general membership does not vote on mods, good or bad. If it did, I think you would see nights coming much more often.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 2:20 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
You know, the point scoring going on in this thread is really not helping with this proposal. When you've stopped doing that, perhaps someone could send me a PM to let me know when the thread has turned back into something a little more constructive?

Thanks.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 5:26 am

Let me be one of the few moderators here to speak up in favour of this proposal, although I must admit that I preferred the original one that clearly placed the responsibility for selection of the Ambassadors with the ELECTED TalkBoard rather than with APPOINTED moderators.

It is obvious that some Moderators view the Ambassador program as a threat to their authority. Is it really right to have these people sitting in judgement over it in that case? It is neither fair to the Moderator nor the Ambassador applicant in question.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Bad mods are voted off the proverbial island as sure as night follows day.
Really?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.