Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ambassador proposal reboot

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2008, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I still think that this is totally unnecessary. Nutz you did a wonderful job in organizing and putting down your thoughts for the "reboot" You deserve a thanks.

But the concept is still flawed. We don't need any more titles or layers of workers. Every time that I read the original proposal and thread and now this one, I am reminded of the quote from George Orwell's Animal Farm "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

There are plenty of FTers who help out, welcome newbies and answer questions and they don't need titles.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:45 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Jenbel
False analogy. Who better to tell someone where the TOS lines are - someone who has always kept on the right side of them, or someone who didn't know where they were and got a/many suspension(s) as a result? Your suggestion that those who have never had a suspension don't know the TOS is frankly ridiculous - I've never had a suspension or warning precisely because I do know what the rules are. I'd rather seek advice on TOS issues from someone who has not been disciplined than someone who has a handful of warnings and suspensions to their name - one clearly doesn't get what the TOS says!
Um, = sarcasm/joshing.

And these types of 'this type of poster is better than that type of poster' is exactly what I am making fun of with my sarcasm/joke. Because to me it is silly, unproductive and totally misses the point of this concept.

Can someone who has been suspended meet the criteria listed above to be an ambassador? Yes, of course. Can people who have not been suspended meet those criteria? Yes, of course. The criteria are about people's attitude and willingness to help, not about their suspension records or lack thereof.

YMMV.

If Ambassadors are to be advising on TOS issues (and where has that come from? shouldn't ambassadors be diverting such questions to the mods for definitive answers? Mods are still capable of assisting members and answering such questions, even if this scheme goes ahead. ), then it also becomes more important that they can work closely with forum mods as NickB points out.
It grew from NickB's comment that "I have severe doubts on the credibility of someone explaining to a newbie issues relating to ToS when that person has recently been found in breach of such ToS." Of course, that responsibility is NOT spelled out in the proposal, but I can see why he might think ToS questions might be natural question folks might ask Ambassadors.

I would love to keep such a scheme simple. Simplest way would be for forum mods to simply ask (or accept volunteers) to help out in this area. Of course, the anti-moderation politics means that will never be accepted as a process, meaning we've got to bring in external people and vetting and checking and double checking and cross-checking and referencing and votes and meetings and cake baking competitions (ok, maybe the last is a slight exaggeration ). And its' a real shame as the more bureaucratic it becomes, the more ridiculous the scheme becomes - Cholula's (I think it was his - apologies if i have misrepresented!) way of selection seems to be about the simplest, fairest way of doing it and even that involves quite a lot of bureaucracy.
If you look at the proposal, you could use enough of the bracketed options to put just that process in place.

The obvious downside, of course, is that with no oversight, straight moderator selection of ambassadors could easily become very 'cliquish,' as moderators decide that only the people they know and like should be made Ambassadors. And you are correct: some feel that the moderator selection process itself has already become that way which might also make such a selection process unpopular with some posters.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
Fantastic. I nominate Jim Traficant for UA Ambassador. I mean, the people of Ohio elected him, so he must be an okay guy, despite the fact that he's sitting in a US Federal Prison. Perhaps we can get him internet access in the pen (much like a suspended Ambassador under your theory, he does not currently have access to FT).

The logic here that winning a popularity contest (by promising things that cannot be delivered) to a body that refuses to police it's own, breaking the community rules, etc is "good enough" is simply mind boggling.

I maintain that a 30-day suspension upheld by Randy should be grounds for automatic removal of an Ambassador, and I daresay I've yet to hear a single rational counterpoint. The implied argument that someone with one or more suspensions from FT of greater than 30 days would make an OK ambassador boggles the mind It's transparently self-serving.
I find it remarkably convenient that you challenge us to provide a rational counterpoint that involves a subject that cannot be discussed here. Quite convenient.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 1:05 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kokonutz
If that is impossible because people want to set up complicated rules and procedures then it'll never happen. The key to success is simplicity.
Correct. I'm reluctantly beginning to conclude that having a formal Ambassador designation is going to be much more trouble than it's worth to FT. Centralized selection = trouble.

You want simple? I'll give you simple. Let each Moderator choose any number of assistants, subject to Randy's OK. The assistants get a title of some sort and agree to help identify problem posts and proactively help new users. Pretty much like several people already do in the active forums. The moderators know who the helpers are.

Some of those helpers are opinionated and outspoken enough to have violated the TOS now and then. I personally don't have a problem with that, especially if the violations are not recent. In fact, as you mentioned, people who have erred in the past are in an excellent position to explain how they changed. There are often the most passionate posters who have the time and energy to help, and moderators know better than anyone how great it can be to channel that energy postively.

Just leave assistant selection with the moderators. If anyone here is concerned that he or she might be unfairly blackballed by all the moderators, I can assure you that moderators don't all agree on much of anything. Just like any other group of FT members. With decentralized selection of assistants and no pre-set limit on their number, anyone wanting such an opportunity should be able to find one in a quiet corner of FT. Working as an assistant, even in a quiet forum, is great practice for being a better contributor. You'll get accustomed to the friendliness of the smaller forums and carry that attitude all over FT.

The formal title has two advantages: it lets newbies know where to turn in addition to the moderators, and it feeds the ego of the assistant. (Many FTers are status junkies, whether we admit it to ourselves or not.) I would like my helpers to get a title, but not if the price of this is the creation of another focal point for resentments and politicking.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 1:26 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by nsx
Correct. I'm reluctantly beginning to conclude that having a formal Ambassador designation is going to be much more trouble than it's worth to FT. Centralized selection = trouble.
I'm also becoming more convinced that it's too much trouble to get consensus on this ambassador idea.

I'm extremely unlikely to support a proposal that does not include automatic removal of an ambassador who receives a suspension. Other TB members feel differently and are unlikely to support a proposal with this provision.

Perhaps the status quo is indeed a better choice.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 3:06 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I find it remarkably convenient that you challenge us to provide a rational counterpoint that involves a subject that cannot be discussed here. Quite convenient.
Try this: Read the "Randy Upheld" suspension part--IOW, you can remove moderation from the equation because the judgment call (which is really the only leg that the vociferous anti-mod Talkboard members have to stand on) has been upheld by the Man-in-Charge.

There is nothing to talk about that can't be discussed here on that subject, much as you would really like us to believe there is a man behind the curtain.

Again--I'm waiting for any rational reason why someone with a 30day or greater (upheld by Randy) should either be an Ambassador or not be immediately removed.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Try this: Read the "Randy Upheld" suspension part
This doesn't change my feelings on the subject one bit.

Edited to add: MAIN REASON: See Dov's post, below mine.

Last edited by RichMSN; Jun 20, 2008 at 4:04 pm
Old Jun 20, 2008, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Try this: Read the "Randy Upheld" suspension part--IOW, you can remove moderation from the equation because the judgment call (which is really the only leg that the vociferous anti-mod Talkboard members have to stand on) has been upheld by the Man-in-Charge.

There is nothing to talk about that can't be discussed here on that subject, much as you would really like us to believe there is a man behind the curtain.

Again--I'm waiting for any rational reason why someone with a 30day or greater (upheld by Randy) should either be an Ambassador or not be immediately removed.

Question for TalkBoard Topics mods:

Are we permitted to discuss the details of how people get suspended and how/when/if Randy reviews these suspensions and issues a decision?

If so, then I can answer ClueByFour's post, citing specific instances (so as to be free of the "Black Helicopter" accusations). If not, then ClueByFour's posts should simply be ignored.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 3:45 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Under my proposal in this thread, you'd only have to find one moderator willing to take you on as an assistant. Just one. How hard could that be, unless you are being choosy about the forum you want to serve?
Old Jun 20, 2008, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
Under my proposal in this thread, you'd only have to find one moderator willing to take you on as an assistant. Just one. How hard could that be, unless you are being choosy about the forum you want to serve?
We would be choosy. I read 3 forums regularly and a few others sporadically. Why would I wish to be an ambassador in a forum I don't read?
Old Jun 20, 2008, 4:07 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Originally Posted by Dovster
Question for TalkBoard Topics mods:

Are we permitted to discuss the details of how people get suspended and how/when/if Randy reviews these suspensions and issues a decision?

If so, then I can answer ClueByFour's post, citing specific instances (so as to be free of the "Black Helicopter" accusations). If not, then ClueByFour's posts should simply be ignored.
Dovster,

You cannot talk about any specific examples of suspensions publicly. That policy is very clear and has been repeated by Randy several times.

Sorry.

William
Old Jun 20, 2008, 4:13 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RichMSN
We would be choosy. I read 3 forums regularly and a few others sporadically. Why would I wish to be an ambassador in a forum I don't read?
Because you want to give back to FT and you are willing to work your way up from an entry-level helper position. Plenty of CEOs began by working in the stockroom. IMHO this path will have a much higher probability of success than starting off in a contentious forum.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 4:20 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by wharvey
Dovster,

You cannot talk about any specific examples of suspensions publicly. That policy is very clear and has been repeated by Randy several times.

Sorry.

William

Thank you, William. That was my understanding, too. Of course, without doing so it is impossible to answer ClueByFour's post. At the very most, all I could do is make unsubstantiated accusations which would be dismissed as seeing "Black Helicopters".

Indeed, I would not expect any reasonable person to accept what I was saying without my backing it up by citing (and in some cases, linking to) specific examples.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 4:28 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Some of us don't actually need titles to be helpful

Received this via PM yesterday from an FTer I've never met.

"Hi Sharon,

I have learned a great deal from your posts, especially, in the Marriott forum and look up to you as a “mentor” of sorts. Thank you very much for your efforts and assistance along the way. Your tip on the ‘free red bus’ from LHR to the Marriott and Ren have been very useful. I have passed this nugget on to several friends. So thanks from all of us.

If you are ever passing through YYZ and have a couple of hours to spare and would like to get-together for drinks, lunch or dinner, send me a PM. It would be my pleasure to meet you.
"

While I think the concept of ambassadors is a good one, I think a lot of FTers who are helpful will be helpful whether they have a title or not. Speaking only for myself I'm not going to stop being helpful to others if I'm not listed as an ambassador. I'm helpful because I've learned a lot from FT, and I want to give back.

That there's so much disagreement on the program itself & selection criteria given the concept is supposed to be a helpful/friendly one I find a bit ironic. And unless it can get sorted out I would guess it won't be approved by the Talkboard.

If the program/concept does continue I would vote for the simple method. Mods know which FTers are quite helpful in their forums, so having a mod ask a FTer (or more than one depending on the forum) if they'd be willing to act as an ambassador after outlining the duties & they say yes, subject to Randy's approval, would probably be the simplest method for selection. To give more than one FTer the opportunity to serve, perhaps a 1-year term?

OVMV. Cheers.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
Because you want to give back to FT and you are willing to work your way up from an entry-level helper position. Plenty of CEOs began by working in the stockroom. IMHO this path will have a much higher probability of success than starting off in a contentious forum.
Probability of success? I don't get it. Entry-level helper position? I find that condescending.

Contentious forums would need ambassadors, too.

Frankly, I don't see this role as something on the pathway to something greater and more glorious. It's not a moderator-in-training or in-waiting role. If that's the thoughts of others, though, I think the entire proposal is lousy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.