Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Comments welcome, voting underway: Should VX Have a Forum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comments welcome, voting underway: Should VX Have a Forum?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2007, 9:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
I agree with everybody in favor of a VX Forum as I too believe it’s here to stay.

And the threads are spread willy-nilly throughout FT which serves no one as l'etoile so wisely pointed out.

Voting is underway as I write this and I’m going to vote in favor. Presumably the motioner and seconder will also vote in favor ( although that’s not always a slam-dunk).

So you‘ve got perhaps three in favor at this stage.The magic number is six in favor.

For those who want to see this new forum created, keep up the pressure.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 9:45 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Spiff
Moved by ScottC and seconded by Jenbel:

that the Talkboard request the creation of a forum for the discussion of Virgin America and the EleVAte frequent flyer program.

This poll will close on Dec 9, 07 at 9:09 am
December 9??? Surely you guys and gals are smart enough to come to a decision faster than this. Time's a wastin'! Can you get unanimous consent to close the voting and implement the decision? Or would some people prefer to have more time to persuade others?

If TB doesn't have the equivalent of unanimous consent or some other expedited approval process on which virtually everyone agrees, then it needs such a process. Something like: Everyone gets 24 to 48 hours to say "No", and a single "No" blocks implementation.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
This is standard TB procedure.

Votes remain open for two weeks. If in that time, everyone votes more quickly, then the vote is closed and the result announced - and often as not someone complains because they didn't get long enough to comment in the public forum

We are a community of frequent flyers. We travel. We have lives. We are expected to listen to what the members say - and our only requirement to inform them is once the vote becomes active. Of course, this forum has been debated for months, so I don't see anything new coming out now - but that isn't the case for everything. Expecting a decision within 24-48 hours is not achievable and would lead to bad decisions getting through by default.

If you are truly concerned about the procedures of howTB votes, then I suggest you start a new thread about it, rather than continuing on in this thread about the proposed VX forum.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:13 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Votes remain open for two weeks. If in that time, everyone votes more quickly, then the vote is closed and the result announced - and often as not someone complains because they didn't get long enough to comment in the public forum
Thanks for the explanation, Jenbel. Now I'm feeling sheepish.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by nsx
Now I'm feeling sheepish.

Plus there appears to be certain strategies to how various members vote.

Most of the persuasion is handled prior to the motion and seconding. At that point, for two weeks, the TB members vote and that’s that. Sometimes the vote is quick, as Jenbel states, and the results are then posted.

However during certain votes, the persuasion continues and/or some members do not vote until the last minute due to IMHO :

1. Travel schedules or personal issues which are more important than an Asiana Forum.

2. Waiting to see how the public thread plays out pro or con.

3. Blowing it off due to not realizing how close the end date of the voting was.

4. Waiting to see how your fellow TB members are voting on the thread before casting your own vote.

5. Wanting to be a “motion-maker” or “motion-breaker” by casting the deciding, last vote.

One of the interesting things I’ve observed thus far on TB is how the voting proceeds once the motion is made and seconded.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by Cholula

Plus there appears to be certain strategies to how various members vote.

Most of the persuasion is handled prior to the motion and seconding. At that point, for two weeks, the TB members vote and that’s that. Sometimes the vote is quick, as Jenbel states, and the results are then posted.

However during certain votes, the persuasion continues and/or some members do not vote until the last minute due to IMHO :

1. Travel schedules or personal issues which are more important than an Asiana Forum.

2. Waiting to see how the public thread plays out pro or con.

3. Blowing it off due to not realizing how close the end date of the voting was.

4. Waiting to see how your fellow TB members are voting on the thread before casting your own vote.

5. Wanting to be a “motion-maker” or “motion-breaker” by casting the deciding, last vote.

One of the interesting things I’ve observed thus far on TB is how the voting proceeds once the motion is made and seconded.
I usually vote fairly quickly on issues where it seems there has been a great degree of discussion beforehand and/or the issues seem clearly delineated. I usually vote fairly late when I'm not familiar with the issues at hand (the Indian airlines vote recently, for example) and/or if I think that my opinion is likely to be swayed by discussion that is ongoing.

I'd say I vote later more often than earlier. In this particular vote, however (VX), I've already voted in favor.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I've just edited the opening post to reflect the end time of this vote.

Since the TalkBoard term will switchover on December 3rd, this vote will end at the start of business HOM time on the 3rd.

Thanks,
Gary
Old Nov 30, 2007, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After long consideration on this, I voted no on this motion. Though I think that VX has potential in the US market, from what I've seen, at this time, a seperate forum isn't necessary. In the ONASAFFP forum, mosts of the VX threads have less than 10 replies & most of it isn't actually discussing their program (which, I have joined up as a "charter member" so it's not like I won't be following the "VX movement") and it's also mostly the same few members discussing it.

I think that in the future, VX probably will need a forum - but until that happens & until they have a stronger route distribution, there isn't a definitive need as yet. My apologies to those who support this forum - I'm not opposed in the long run & if this comes up as a topic in a year or so again, depending on VX's route distribution & the discussions we see in the ONASAFFP forums, I'd be happy to support it then...
Old Dec 3, 2007, 2:31 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Motion failed.

On 3 December 2007, the TalkBoard failed to pass, 4-4 the following:

that the Talkboard request the creation of a forum for the discussion of Virgin America and the EleVAte frequent flyer program.

Voting yes: Cholula, Jenbel, ScottC, techgirl

Voting no: bhatnasx, gleff, ozstamps, Spiff

Did not vote: Dovster
Old Dec 3, 2007, 2:34 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
After long consideration on this, I voted no on this motion. Though I think that VX has potential in the US market, from what I've seen, at this time, a seperate forum isn't necessary. In the ONASAFFP forum, mosts of the VX threads have less than 10 replies & most of it isn't actually discussing their program (which, I have joined up as a "charter member" so it's not like I won't be following the "VX movement") and it's also mostly the same few members discussing it.

I think that in the future, VX probably will need a forum - but until that happens & until they have a stronger route distribution, there isn't a definitive need as yet. My apologies to those who support this forum - I'm not opposed in the long run & if this comes up as a topic in a year or so again, depending on VX's route distribution & the discussions we see in the ONASAFFP forums, I'd be happy to support it then...
That's pretty much how I see it too, and why I also voted no.

Right now, there's a hint of a revenue-based FF program from VX but nothing concrete. I don't think it's too much to ask VX to establish an active FF program before getting a forum on a bulletin board devoted to miles and points.

I'm willing to revisit this issue in the future (no, not next week. ) and am also open to rolling other under-utilized FF programs into their continent forums if someone wants to make such a proposal as a separate thread (ie, not here).
Old Dec 3, 2007, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
On 3 December 2007, the TalkBoard failed to pass, 4-4 the following:

Voting yes: Cholula, Jenbel, ScottC, techgirl

Voting no: bhatnasx, gleff, ozstamps, Spiff

Did not vote: Dovster
I'm disappointed with the TB members who did not vote in favor of this forum, but appreciate them at least casting a vote.

It find it fitting that as I read this thread, there is another one right below it here in TB Topics also about the VX forum proposal.

I guess it's continued misplaced, duplicate threads and confusion related to VX and a fitting way to document the motion not passing.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nroscoe
It find it fitting that as I read this thread, there is another one right below it here in TB Topics also about the VX forum proposal.

I guess it's continued misplaced, duplicate threads and confusion related to VX and a fitting way to document the motion not passing.
Actually, it's a completely different reason than you think...

One thread was a member-started thread bringing the idea to discussion. After a motion is made, then a new public discussion thread is started requesting commentary on the specific motion that was made (this thread).
Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Actually, it's a completely different reason than you think...

One thread was a member-started thread bringing the idea to discussion. After a motion is made, then a new public discussion thread is started requesting commentary on the specific motion that was made (this thread).
no matter the reason, it's an ironic tribute to the clutter surrounding VX thanks to the TB decision.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Why VX does have motion failed but, I decide I did vote create new VX Forums but, I couldn't do it for this time. Maybe they will eventually try again in near the future. You will able continuation same original thread ONA&SA Forums. Does not have favorable for create new VX Forums. I could tell you more specific information more general will keep Virgin Atlantic Forums but, I don't think some original thread will not moved new forums.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
But it also doesn't mean it will happen tomorrow, either.
Now that the new TalkBoard is seated, someone should simply wait until koko is off from his holiday and make the motion again. With the new members, the vote count could easily be 6 for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.