Wiki Posts
Search

Reviews difficult for most to access

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Reviews difficult for most to access

Most FT movie reviews are viewed by fewer than 10 people. A thread about the same movie on OMNI attracts hundreds of views. IMHO this is because the movie reviews are unreasonably difficult for most people to find: to view a list of movie reviews, one must do a blank search by leaving the search field blank and clicking on "Search." There must be an easier and more intuitive way.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I agree. I asked this question in OMNI a while back. It hardly seems like you're helping people decide whether to see a movie (by submitting a review) when other members have to jump through seemingly dozens of complicated hoops, etc. in order to see a review.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 4:24 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Perhaps it should be done in Omni and not elsewhere?
Old Dec 4, 2005, 8:06 pm

Programs: CO, UA, who cares what level, that doesn't make me special, now does it?
Movie reviews? I love to write movie reviews...... but I guess I need 900 more posts to be able to write them
Old Dec 5, 2005, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Spiff
Perhaps it should be done in Omni and not elsewhere?
I guess so - I mean, a member takes the time to submit a personal review of a film for lots of reasons, one of which is probably in order to give something back to the community here. If that contribution doesn't make it to its intended audience, then it's a lost opportunity.

FT reviews could work, but you should be able to get to a listing of all film reviews within a maximum of two clicks from the www.flyertalk.com homepage.

As it stands now, it takes three clicks: 1) click on "Forums" or "Travel and Dining" (and the second choice is assuming that you know that it's located within Travel and Dining); 2) a. if you click on forums, you must review a complete listing of the 31 default FT forums to find "FT Reviews", or b. the forum hyperlink is the second one listed under "Travel and Dining"; and 3) it is not all that intuitive that you can see a listing of all film reviews (which have been submitted to date) by leaving the search field blank and hitting the search button. Additionally, there is no way that I am aware of to add the FT Review forum to your favorites/My Flyertalk.

What kind of changes would be constructive?

At one time there was a banner linking to FT reviews located prominently at the top of each forum - that is now probably ad space, but giving it more prominence would help draw people in.

When you click on FT Reviews, it should pull up not just search/submit features, but a visible listing of the most recent reviews for each section.

Last, it should be possible to add FT Reviews to My Flyertalk.

So please accept this constructive criticism from one of that forum's fans.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 7:39 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I tried writing some & had error codes when I finally found where to post, so I ended up posting in OMNI. I very rarely go to Omni, but wanted folk to hear my 2cents on the movies & figured if reviews wasn't working, that was 2nd best. Cheers.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
I agree with the postings here. Having OMNI and Reviews seems redundant. I think Randy et al should think of ways of incorporating the two.

Maybe on OMNI instead of generating ads for movies one could generate a banner that had FT Reviews when people are discussing movies?
Old Dec 13, 2005, 1:56 pm

Programs: AF: Plat BD: Gold ICH: Plat Royal Ambassador
you learn a new thing every day

I never knew there was a movie review section
Old Dec 15, 2005, 10:49 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Of course the one advantage of having a Movie Reviews section vs having it in Omni is so far the reviews are about the movie & don't get sidetracked by folks views on gays or Christians, which is what's happening w/ Brokeback Mountain & The Chronicles of Narnia in Omni right now.

I think the ENTIRE reviews section should be simpler to find since it encompasses hotels, restaurants & movies.

Cheers.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I think the ENTIRE reviews section should be simpler to find since it encompasses hotels, restaurants & movies.
Agreed. I thought I remembered that there was supposed to be a movie reviews section somewhere on FT, but I couldn't find it. A search yielded this thread (which thankfully gives advice on how to find the reviews section).

However, I spent so much time trying to find the reviews that I have now forgotten which movie I wanted to read about.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:12 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by anonplz
3) it is not all that intuitive that you can see a listing of all film reviews (which have been submitted to date) by leaving the search field blank and hitting the search button.
Never mind. I figured it out.

Last edited by oklAAhoma; Feb 12, 2006 at 11:15 am Reason: I solved my search problem.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I can't see one member above that finds movie reviews being in this Forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/reviews

Is a useful and user friendly "home" for them.

I too had never visited that forum until reading this thread.

If more members feel Movie Reviews are more useful back in OMNI I am sure it could be discussed by Talk Board.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 5:44 pm

Look at the Top 10 hotels. What a joke .
Old Feb 15, 2006, 6:52 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Look at the Top 10 hotels. What a joke .
Have you looked at the Top 10 restaurants?
Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Have you looked at the Top 10 restaurants?
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I think FT Reviews needs to go. It's a joke and an eye-sore currently.

Either promote the hell out of it and make it useful (and used), or just get rid of it. There are plenty of other websites that do the review thing a whole lot better than FT reviews will ever do it, IMHO.

It's Randy's baby though, so I think it will stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.