Forum Suggestion: FT Feedback and General Discussions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2016, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
CommunityDirector posted this in a dif thread:

"I expect to set up a new forum called "The Suggestion Box" and place it adjacent to CommunityBuzz. It wlll be the place for members to come who have an idea for how to do better what we already do very well."

Cheers.
Print Wikipost

Forum Suggestion: FT Feedback and General Discussions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:43 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I (and others) have raised what we believe to be some valid concerns over the future mechanism. For me, it has been the question if a feedback thread has the ability to spawn any meaningful discussions.

From the responses it seemed to me no one really is getting my point, and I decided to silently remove myself from a non-fertile thread.

But then I realised this is the perfect display window of the perceived issue. On a TB topic thread there would have been a number of replies saying
I am decided / I am undecided, persuade me / I am not seeing enough demand / No it won't work because of these flaws / Yes it will work with these improvements / Here are links to our past experience and statistics

Now, all replies are of the type
Don't you worry about a thing / I vouch for the CD / I don't want to put the words in CD's mouth / I'd prefer the CD did respond to your concerns

The CD, the sole authoritative voice, has made one single un-comitting post to the thread.

Can you all now understand the point I am trying to make? If everyone just defers to a non-present person/role then there is nothing driving the discussion / suggestion forward.

So this is me hoping my concern is more understandable now - a feedback thread is just that. A one-way avenue where users can post their issues and suggestions. It can be great at that. But at this point I cannot see any soil for the alleged germination. Maybe there is. Maybe everyone else sees it. Then please post something about that instead of back pats.

Last edited by intuition; Nov 14, 2016 at 10:57 pm
Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
A public/publicly-visible feedback forum with open discussions is more useful for idea-sharing and idea-improvement than the alternatives -- no matter how well-intended and well-managed the alternative may be.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:40 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by GUWonder
A public/publicly-visible feedback forum with open discussions is more useful for idea-sharing and idea-improvement than the alternatives -- no matter how well-intended and well-managed the alternative may be.
GU, I fully expect you to see exactly that. There's no substitute for group discussion to uncover the flaws in an idea.

Randy made some missteps during his leadership of FT. Our new CD hasn't made a single one, as far as I know. She takes the time to reach the right decision the first time. She will find the most effective way to get member feedback.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nsx
GU, I fully expect you to see exactly that. There's no substitute for group discussion to uncover the flaws in an idea.

Randy made some missteps during his leadership of FT. Our new CD hasn't made a single one, as far as I know. She takes the time to reach the right decision the first time. She will find the most effective way to get member feedback.
While I have great respect and admiration for both persons, I don't see -- nor expect -- perfection in any individuals and the outcomes' their decisions have produced; and so I find no need to compare the CDs with each other. I'd rather compare systems.

I like systems that account for human limitations/imperfections; and I prefer systems with leadership cognizant of its own limitations and the situation requiring an open, broad debate to fuel improvement of a sort that is more sustainable and broadly rewarding than autocratic, sycophantic or incestuous group think can be.

No matter how great a "philosopher king" a polis may have ruling it, the philosopher king (writ large to include queens as well) isn't immortal. Even the founder of FT is no longer in control of this place.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 15, 2016 at 7:09 am
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:23 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
That's a fair point. System A which works well under excellent leadership might not be the best choice when leadership is incompetent. System B might better accommodate incompetent leadership but it will perform worse under excellent leadership than System A. There is no universally best system, so let's design for the leadership we have. You wouldn't give da Vinci a paint by numbers canvas!
Old Nov 15, 2016, 7:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nsx
That's a fair point. System A which works well under excellent leadership might not be the best choice when leadership is incompetent. System B might better accommodate incompetent leadership but it will perform worse under excellent leadership than System A. There is no universally best system, so let's design for the leadership we have. You wouldn't give da Vinci a paint by numbers canvas!
If given the chance, I would.

Designing a system for current and future leadership, not just current leadership, is more to my liking. Not that I'm expecting to do this.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you read my post, it's about perceptions.

FT has been claimed to be and AFAIK is the only major online bulletin board with user input via an elected advisory board. Eliminating TB is a huge and very visible change. It leaves only the IB staff and mods as organized sources of suggestions and other input.

I always pictured what would happen if the entire TalkTeam got together for a meal. TalkBoard would be seated at the kids table. Now the kids table has been moved outside the dining room entirely and the kids have been told to go outside and play with the other kids.

Nothing surprises me around here, but I have to admit that Carol eliminating the one elected body to represent FTers caught me by surprise. Guess it shouldn't have.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I always pictured what would happen if the entire TalkTeam got together for a meal. TalkBoard would be seated at the kids table. Now the kids table has been moved outside the dining room entirely and the kids have been told to go outside and play with the other kids.
What a strange analogy. In the 15 years I've been on FT & long before I served on FT I never thought of TB as the kids table. Well maybe in the last couple of years, but that has more to do w/ 2-3 TB members bickering w/ each other all the time, both in the public & private forums

Cheers.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 5:15 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Old Nov 16, 2016, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
What a strange analogy. In the 15 years I've been on FT & long before I served on FT I never thought of TB as the kids table. Well maybe in the last couple of years, but that has more to do w/ 2-3 TB members bickering w/ each other all the time, both in the public & private forums

Cheers.
That's one way of putting it.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 1:17 pm

From a post by the CommunityDirector in the TB Closing thread:

"I expect to set up a new forum called "The Suggestion Box" and place it adjacent to CommunityBuzz. It wlll be the place for members to come who have an idea for how to do better what we already do very well."
Old Nov 17, 2016, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
From a post by the CommunityDirector in the TB Closing thread:

Will that forum allow for continuing discussions about a "suggestion" posted there?
Old Nov 17, 2016, 4:24 pm
Community Director Emerita

Will that forum allow for continuing discussions about a "suggestion" posted there?
Yes, as long as it is genuinely a suggestion that the member believes will improve FlyerTalk, I've seen far too much bickering and carping at one another in this forum. I've no desire to have that continue.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 4:29 pm

I would think so. I seriously doubt it's a post your idea & have the thread locked right after you post forum. TB wasn't that, the Technical Issues & Suggestions forum isn't that, so I'd expect The Suggestion Box (TBS) forum to be similarly open. That it's being placed in the Community Forum near CommunityBuzz is a good thing IMO.

Having said the above, I think TSB is intended to be a suggest things, vs. kvetch/moan & groan/dig in a dagger because someone doesn't like something forum.

It should be noted the above is my opinion. I don't speak for the CommunityDirector.

Oops - the CD posted while I was writing this, so - what she said.

Cheers.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 10:12 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
...I expect to set up a new forum called "The Suggestion Box" and place it adjacent to CommunityBuzz. It wlll be the place for members to come who have an idea for how to do better what we already do very well.
It's open:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/suggestion-box-756/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.