Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Forum Suggestion: FT Feedback and General Discussions

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 17, 16, 5:17 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Wiki Link
CommunityDirector posted this in a dif thread:

"I expect to set up a new forum called "The Suggestion Box" and place it adjacent to CommunityBuzz. It wlll be the place for members to come who have an idea for how to do better what we already do very well."

Cheers.
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 8, 16, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond

With TB coming to an end (and possibly this forum), I am suggesting that TB recommend the creation of a new forum to handle discussions that were previously housed here.

Suggested forum title: FT Feedback and General Discussions
Subtitle: "For discussions of topics previously handled by the TalkBoard and for other FT-management topics excluding moderation".

I mentioned this idea in the TB Closing thread, but I will throw it here for the purposes of a more formal introduction with hopes that TB could act and pass something before it disbands on November 30.
Old Nov 8, 16, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I'd expect that the Community Director would set something up for us to make suggestions and have discussion re: same.
Nguyentu1 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 16, 2:59 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Feedback from FlyerTalk members is — and has always been — important to SanDiego1K; and that is not expected to change despite the elimination of TalkBoard and this forum in its present form.

I prefer that she impart her thoughts herself here rather than me speak for her, however.
Old Nov 8, 16, 3:26 pm
Community Director

I appreciate all suggestions on how to most effectively get feedback from members. I have had direct conversation with several people and continue to consider the issue. Lots of great ideas come from members and they are often improved by other members adding their voices. Some years ago, we had a forum called "suggestions". It was intended for this purpose. It primarily got used for matters that were similar to Technical Issues, so was merged with that forum. I rather like the name suggested by the OP as that gives greater clarity than simply saying "suggestions". I do not intend to have an Only Community Director forum, no matter the endless amusement we'd all get from OCD. And I don't intend to respond to every thread that is begun. Rather, I'll be looking for ideas that take root and germinate among members.

Carol
Community Director
Old Nov 8, 16, 4:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimePlatinumPremier
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
I appreciate all suggestions on how to most effectively get feedback from members. I have had direct conversation with several people and continue to consider the issue. Lots of great ideas come from members and they are often improved by other members adding their voices. I rather like the name suggested by the OP as that gives greater clarity than simply saying "suggestions".

Carol
Community Director
I like the OP's suggestion as well, both the title & sub-title. Also, knowing the CD (whom I'm quoting) I've always had faith that she'd have some mechanism for FTers to present ideas that they think might better FT, as the #1 thing I know about her is she's always thinking of ways to meet FTers needs/make FT a better BB.

Cheers.
Old Nov 9, 16, 12:39 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
I like the OP's suggestion as well, both the title & sub-title. Also, knowing the CD (whom I'm quoting) I've always had faith that she'd have some mechanism for FTers to present ideas that they think might better FT, as the #1 thing I know about her is she's always thinking of ways to meet FTers needs/make FT a better BB.

Cheers.
Old Nov 9, 16, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

one reason to have new forum instead of renaming existing Tech/Feedback forum might be to house some/all 'discussion'/etc threads currently in TB forum

thanks for the continuing updates (and work) SanDiego1K
Old Nov 9, 16, 6:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It may be useful to consider that the Technical Support and Feedback forum be renamed to not conflict or confuse members with a FT Feedback and General Discussions forum.

JDiver, Moderator - Technical Support and Feedback forum
Old Nov 11, 16, 3:32 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, A3*G, 1865 Voyager, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
... And I don't intend to respond to every thread that is begun. Rather, I'll be looking for ideas that take root and germinate among members.

Carol
Community Director
I feel this is unfortunate, since the Talkboard was always happy to respond and take part in any subject. So we will just discuss among ourselves in hope for a subject to catch your eye? Not the best soil for lively germination IMHO.
Old Nov 14, 16, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

intuition, how is it that different from current TB forum? TB was not required to reply to or act on anything posted in TB forum.

CD and IB can reply publicly or privately.

and there remains mod forum as well, for mods. (can interact with CD/IB)
Old Nov 14, 16, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO it's very important that FT have a visible mechanism for suggestions from members who aren't moderators. Moreover, such suggestions should be public and not required to be sent to the CD via PM or email, unless of course they involve individuals or moderation issues.
Old Nov 14, 16, 11:56 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum, A3*G, 1865 Voyager, Nordic Choice Platinum, Liberokerho GOLD
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
intuition, how is it that different from current TB forum? TB was not required to reply to or act on anything posted in TB forum.

CD and IB can reply publicly or privately.

and there remains mod forum as well, for mods. (can interact with CD/IB)
In my experience, members of the talkboard was most of the time very keen on participating in discussion.
(In fact, the very nature of a elected board is that its members are interested in stating their opinions, as that not only affected the question at hand but also their personal "brand" for future elections).

True, the TB was not required to do anything publicly but IME they always did. In my mind, that is pretty far from the intentions SanDiego1K stated: Silently watch discussions and occasionally interact and/or take ideas out of that pool.
It kind of feels like having "water-cooler talk" with your workmates in hope of the boss eavesdropping and picking up on a few of the ideas.

I have a few thousands post on FT and don't think I've ever had any interaction with either CD or IB. Maybe that will change with the new structure. I guess time will tell.
Old Nov 14, 16, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by intuition View Post
In my experience, members of the talkboard was most of the time very keen on participating in discussion.
(In fact, the very nature of a elected board is that its members are interested in stating their opinions, as that not only affected the question at hand but also their personal "brand" for future elections).

True, the TB was not required to do anything publicly but IME they always did. In my mind, that is pretty far from the intentions SanDiego1K stated: Silently watch discussions and occasionally interact and/or take ideas out of that pool.
It kind of feels like having "water-cooler talk" with your workmates in hope of the boss eavesdropping and picking up on a few of the ideas.

I have a few thousands post on FT and don't think I've ever had any interaction with either CD or IB. Maybe that will change with the new structure. I guess time will tell.
The problem is that fewer and fewer FlyerTalk members have been interacting with members of TalkBoard over the years — despite publicizing it as much as possible — and the declining participation in the process is most apparent in the voting procedure, during which fewer and fewer members of FlyerTalk have voted each year.

Even now, there is not exactly a groundswell of input opposing the disbanding of TalkBoard. The majority of FlyerTalk members are interested in participating in the actual forums; giving or getting information; and moving on to something else — and the number of issues which currently affect FlyerTalk that are under the current purview of TalkBoard have also been reduced over the years. This past year was arguably the lightest workload yet for members of TalkBoard...

...so the time has come for disbanding TalkBoard — unless anyone has ideas on what to do to improve it or get more FlyerTalk members involved with it.
Old Nov 14, 16, 1:09 pm

Canarsie, all that is true.
And I assume it is pointless suggesting improvements as the decision seems pretty firm. I am not really hung up on the disbandment - there were pros and cons with TB - but with the future.

The thing is: If you have no one to talk to, how can there be a discussion?

If we think the current TB forum isn't lively enough, my fears are that the suggested replacement mechanism will be even less lively. Will people bother to "talk" to a feedback thread? I was always taught that unless two people are both talking and listening it is not a discussion.
Just my two cents.
Old Nov 14, 16, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by intuition View Post
Canarsie, all that is true.
And I assume it is pointless suggesting improvements as the decision seems pretty firm. I am not really hung up on the disbandment - there were pros and cons with TB - but with the future.

The thing is: If you have no one to talk to, how can there be a discussion?

If we think the current TB forum isn't lively enough, my fears are that the suggested replacement mechanism will be even less lively. Will people bother to "talk" to a feedback thread? I was always taught that unless two people are both talking and listening it is not a discussion.
Just my two cents.
I have known SanDiego1K for at least a dozen years since we first met; and I know first-hand on a number of occasions that communication with members of FlyerTalk is of paramount importance to her — especially pertaining to the continued improvement of FlyerTalk, which she truly holds dear to her heart.

I personally am not concerned about the future of communications between her and fellow FlyerTalk members once TalkBoard has disbanded.

Search this Thread