Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

I voted today. But I didn't get a badge...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I voted today. But I didn't get a badge...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2015, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I think MSP is vastly overrating the importance of the Flyertalk guy avatar & any influence it might have on voters.

As rwoman mentions, it is an avatar that has a tendency to disappear/re-appear on a regular basis. Also most FTers wouldn't know what it is, means, or that if you click on it it will take you to an interview (which in my case is a a few years ago, so info dated). I didn't even know that until recently.

Following MSP's reasoning, a TB member shouldn't have their title under their handle, nor a mod their title nor an ambassador their title nor the evangelist or legend their title for the entire 3-4 weeks of the election process, because any of those titles could influence voters. Heck, they should probably not post in any forum for the 3-4 weeks too because FTers might get to know them better if one posts in a more active forum than another.

If someone is going to take the time to vote, assuming they're not familiar with the candidates, they're probably going to vote based on what they read in the talkthevote/platform part & maybe the Q&A if they got to that part. Whenever I vote (before, during & after my term on TB), I went through each candidate's platform & based my vote on that. Avatars don't even appear in the 'talk the vote'.

The concern about the Flyertalk guy avatar is much ado about nothing IMO.

Cheers. Sharon
Well, this year all TB candidates seem to have only the words Talkboard Candidate appear under their username (where Mod, Evangelist, Legend, Ambassador, Original Member, etc. titles normally appear).
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Perhaps this year (I hadn't even noticed, which lends a bit of credence to not everyone pays attention to what's under a handle) but in prior years they have displayed. Again, having a Flyertalk guy avatar is just not that big a deal & I believe you vastly over-estimate its importance. Shrug. Anyway, I'm done w/ the topic.

Cheers. Sharon
Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I think MSP is vastly overrating the importance of the Flyertalk guy avatar & any influence it might have on voters.

As rwoman mentions, it is an avatar that has a tendency to disappear/re-appear on a regular basis. Also most FTers wouldn't know what it is, means, or that if you click on it it will take you to an interview (which in my case is a a few years ago, so info dated). I didn't even know that until recently.

Following MSP's reasoning, a TB member shouldn't have their title under their handle, nor a mod their title nor an ambassador their title nor the evangelist or legend their title for the entire 3-4 weeks of the election process, because any of those titles could influence voters. Heck, they should probably not post in any forum for the 3-4 weeks too because FTers might get to know them better if one posts in a more active forum than another.

If someone is going to take the time to vote, assuming they're not familiar with the candidates, they're probably going to vote based on what they read in the talkthevote/platform part & maybe the Q&A if they got to that part. Whenever I vote (before, during & after my term on TB), I went through each candidate's platform & based my vote on that. Avatars don't even appear in the 'talk the vote'.

The concern about the Flyertalk guy avatar is much ado about nothing IMO.

Cheers. Sharon
You could substitute a lot of things in FT for "the Flyertalk guy avatar" and still be right!
Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:27 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Well, this year all TB candidates seem to have only the words Talkboard Candidate appear under their username (where Mod, Evangelist, Legend, Ambassador, Original Member, etc. titles normally appear).
I delete regular titles each year during the election period. During election time, the person is a Talkboard candidate, first and foremost. It's a nuisance for me, as I have to save the proper titles and reenter them after the election, but I think it is a good thing to do.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I delete regular titles each year during the election period. During election time, the person is a Talkboard candidate, first and foremost. It's a nuisance for me, as I have to save the proper titles and reenter them after the election, but I think it is a good thing to do.
I agree. I very much like this custom. It emphasizes who are the candidates and seems to put everyone on equal footing in some sense. They can mention/discuss/stress their FT service in the nomination form that we can see by clicking on the ballot page or in response to some of the debate questions. They can also put some of this information into signature lines, for example, by a statement "I'm running for re-election; please vote" or the SOP that some mods follow to sign all "moderator hat" posts in some way that makes clear that the person is posting in their role as a moderator.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 2:14 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
I plan on driving 100 MPH later today and will show my I Voted badge to the cop who pulls me over. I will report back.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 2:15 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Jailer
I plan on driving 100 MPH later today and will show my I Voted badge to the cop who pulls me over. I will report back.
Have my phone number on speed dial, Jailer. I'm sure it will help.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:03 am

Programs: KrisFlyer - Nothing
Welp, looks like everything is fixed now "I am proud to be a voter." - FTTB2015
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: Too many
Have voted again and enjoyed reading all the candidates profile, though I was familiar with most of them due to either past talk boards, elections or seeing posts in different forums.

Good luck to everyone

*Note: Checking to see if I get a badge LOL
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by Jinxy
Have voted again and enjoyed reading all the candidates profile, though I was familiar with most of them due to either past talk boards, elections or seeing posts in different forums.

Good luck to everyone

*Note: Checking to see if I get a badge LOL
You've got Santa and "I Voted" badges!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:33 am

The Santa badges are so cute, but I wish there were a version for SantaPaws too--not that I'm a pet owner, but I think it would be fun.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO, DL Reserve, AMEX Plat, Priority Pass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If FT members can easily learn more about some of the candidates but not others, one would assume that (unless the additional information is really bad) people are more likely to vote for those whom they feel they know better, other things being equal of course.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

I'm not laughing at you MSP. I'm laughing at the idea of learning about a candidate by way of a 1960's WASP Male icon under their user name.

And it isn't the caricature or the stereotype that makes the idea funny. I rather like the nostalgic look, and find it befitting the graphics of the jet age that minted itself in the same era as man yearned for the moon.

What is funny is how the candidates half ignore the very structure that Flyertalk provides for members to learn about them. There is a night and day difference between what some candidates provide for us to learn about them, versus what other candidates provide.

It isn't necessary to name names... their statements speak for themselves. But here's a hint... if a candidate doesn't take the time to thoroughly engage with the questions and talking points suggested when completing the candidate's statement, how can they be expected to thoroughly engage with the questions and talking points that are put before the board?

I went through each candidates statement twice. Knowing nothing about any of them, the right type of leaders were self evident by their own statements, and to my eye clearly distinguished themselves from the others. We could vote for five. I only voted for two. That's how clear the difference was.

A badge under their name is meaningless when there is already a provision to read what the candidates say about themselves.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Flyertall
I went through each candidates statement twice. Knowing nothing about any of them, the right type of leaders were self evident by their own statements, and to my eye clearly distinguished themselves from the others. We could vote for five. I only voted for two. That's how clear the difference was.
I read all the statements as well. Then decided to use three of my votes.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 12:13 am

Programs: Too many
Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyertall

I read all the statements as well. Then decided to use three of my votes.
Agree completely. The current talkboard has left a lot to be desired in my eyes. I only used 3 votes, and only for the candidates who I truly feel want to do the right thing and not inflate their egos. Agree that their statements and comments were very clear cut this time on who should and shouldn't be voted for.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:31 pm

The "I voted" icons disappeared awfully fast this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.