Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

I voted today. But I didn't get a badge...

I voted today. But I didn't get a badge...

 
Old Nov 14, 15, 9:19 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Programs: DL FO, DL Reserve, AMEX Plat, Priority Pass, Global Entry
Posts: 248
I voted today. But I didn't get a badge...

Does this mean my vote didn't get logged?

Or do we not need no stinking badges?
Flyertall is offline  
Old Nov 14, 15, 9:56 am
  #2  
Community Director
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 29,564
Originally Posted by Flyertall View Post
Does this mean my vote didn't get logged?

Or do we not need no stinking badges?
I've let IB know that the badges failed to turn on. I hope that it happens soon. I think it's really helpful to remind others to vote.
SanDiego1K is offline  
Old Nov 14, 15, 9:57 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: NJ
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Posts: 44,665
I voted yesterday and also noticed no badge. I thought perhaps they wouldn't be used any longer.
Mary2e is offline  
Old Nov 14, 15, 10:01 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Exile
Posts: 14,748
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
I think it's really helpful to remind others to vote.
It also serves to discourage people from voting who prefer to remain low profile. The badges should be optional (like the custom titles) and not mandatory.
B747-437B is offline  
Old Nov 14, 15, 10:10 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Home
Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Posts: 7,635
Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
The badges should be optional (like the custom titles) and not mandatory.
As previously discussed/addressed in Technical Issues Forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...ed-avatar.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...who-voted.html

Having said that, not sure what technical improvement IB has in store for TB 2015 Election though.
lin821 is offline  
Old Nov 14, 15, 10:13 am
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 83,873
I also voted yesterday and my "I Voted" badge hasn't been added yet. However, when I tried to vote again as a check, I got the message that I had already voted and no ballot with boxes to check appeared. So I feel confident that my vote was properly recorded.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Nov 14, 15, 10:19 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Programs: DL FO, DL Reserve, AMEX Plat, Priority Pass, Global Entry
Posts: 248
The badge doesn't say WHO was voted for. It simply says the member voted.

SanDiego1K is right. If it were not for the badges that I saw under people's usernames when I first joined FT, people who were taking time out of their day to answer questions (that they likely have already answered 100 times before) when I needed a little advice, I would not have voted.

But when I first saw the badge under the user names of people I came to respect, I instantly got it. I instantly realized that a forum with over 25 MILLION moderated and organized posts doesn't happen by magic. It happens by the participation of people who care.

If a member wanted to remain so low profile that they didn't want to participate in the forum, then they already have that option.
Flyertall is offline  
Old Nov 15, 15, 10:04 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Posts: 10,668
Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
It also serves to discourage people from voting who prefer to remain low profile. The badges should be optional (like the custom titles) and not mandatory.
Seriously? A badge is gonna stop you from voting? We're a community. Come out and let your voice be heard. The badge doesn't indicate who you voted for. Just that you took an action and helped make FT better.
dchristiva is offline  
Old Nov 15, 15, 11:03 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Exile
Posts: 14,748
Originally Posted by dchristiva View Post
Seriously? A badge is gonna stop you from voting? We're a community. Come out and let your voice be heard. The badge doesn't indicate who you voted for. Just that you took an action and helped make FT better.
O rly?
B747-437B is offline  
Old Nov 15, 15, 11:44 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Montreal
Posts: 21
Sme thing happened to me when I voted... Strange.
Patsnation is offline  
Old Nov 15, 15, 2:32 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Europe & Indonesia
Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Posts: 9,469
Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
It also serves to discourage people from voting who prefer to remain low profile. The badges should be optional (like the custom titles) and not mandatory.
Hmm, when I was new around here, it was the "I voted" badges that alerted me to the fact that TB even existed.

It's not like voting for TB candidates is something to ashamed of, is it?
Maluku_Flyer is offline  
Old Nov 15, 15, 4:10 pm
  #12  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Posts: 66,244
Originally Posted by Flyertall View Post
The badge doesn't say WHO was voted for. It simply says the member voted.

SanDiego1K is right. If it were not for the badges that I saw under people's usernames when I first joined FT, people who were taking time out of their day to answer questions (that they likely have already answered 100 times before) when I needed a little advice, I would not have voted.

But when I first saw the badge under the user names of people I came to respect, I instantly got it. I instantly realized that a forum with over 25 MILLION moderated and organized posts doesn't happen by magic. It happens by the participation of people who care.
Agree.

Originally Posted by Patsnation View Post
Sme thing happened to me when I voted... Strange.
sandiego1k explained it above. IB was supposed to turn on the I Voted avatar but forgot. Since it's a weekend the earliest it will be turned on will be tomorrow when they get into the office California time - at which point you might see lots of I Voted avatars.


Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer View Post
Hmm, when I was new around here, it was the "I voted" badges that alerted me to the fact that TB even existed.

It's not like voting for TB candidates is something to ashamed of, is it?
Agree.

Cheers. Sharon

Last edited by Moderator2; Nov 15, 15 at 4:40 pm Reason: Removed now deleted quote
SkiAdcock is offline  
Old Nov 16, 15, 12:39 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Exile
Posts: 14,748
Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer View Post
It's not like voting for TB candidates is something to ashamed of, is it?
Whether it is or not is something that the voter should decide, not someone else unilaterally.
B747-437B is offline  
Old Nov 16, 15, 2:01 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: LHR
Programs: DL DM 1MM, AA Plat
Posts: 10,163
Agree with others...the badge serves as a reminder to some that it's election time and to go vote.

It's pretty innocuous IMO.

rwoman is offline  
Old Nov 16, 15, 6:56 am
  #15  
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: McKinney, TX, USA
Programs: AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 11,184
Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
It also serves to discourage people from voting who prefer to remain low profile. The badges should be optional (like the custom titles) and not mandatory.
I thought it was now optional? The last post in the thread some have linked to states that it can be turned off.

If you go to the avatar page for your account, there is an option button for "Do not use an Avatar". Does that not turn off the all avatars or does the "I vote" still show through?
hhoope01 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread